Cat hair loss.

Breed: not sure
My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out. This is where her "eyebrows" would be. She had been out for 5 days and I am not sure is she is allergic to something outside. I see her lying in the tall grass and I was just wondering if it could be an allergic reaction.

Thank you for you help.

Millie

Thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions like this one without being able to see your cat, but I'll give you some thoughts.

It may be normal to see bald patches above the eyes. Many cats have bald spots above the eyes between the eyes and the base of the ear and this can be normal.

However,if you are seeing some lesions above her eyes then the most likely explanation is an allergy.

It is possible it is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. However, the more common allergies in cats are to either food, medication, fleas or to something in the environment such as certain kinds of grasses or weeds.

The first thing I usually recommend when a cat has signs of allergies is to treat for fleas, even if fleas are not seen. It is always best to use a vet recommended product such as Revolution, Frontline, or Advantage. Many cats with skin problems have them because they are super sensitive to fleas and even one bite can cause problems.

I will sometimes give steroids (either by injection or as pills) to a cat will allergies. There are pros and cons to this. While most cats do not have any negative side effects with steroids, there is an extremely small chance of a cat developing diabetes after steroid injections.

It is also possible that these are just scabs as the result of a wound or scratch. If this is the case they should be gone within a few days.

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8654 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (6600 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (11881 views)

Cat hardly eating. my cat has recemtly been in the catery. since returning she has hardly eaten and is... (10562 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (12323 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8249 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (23521 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (31749 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15850 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (9350 views)