Cat hair loss.

Breed: not sure
My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out. This is where her "eyebrows" would be. She had been out for 5 days and I am not sure is she is allergic to something outside. I see her lying in the tall grass and I was just wondering if it could be an allergic reaction.

Thank you for you help.

Millie

Thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions like this one without being able to see your cat, but I'll give you some thoughts.

It may be normal to see bald patches above the eyes. Many cats have bald spots above the eyes between the eyes and the base of the ear and this can be normal.

However,if you are seeing some lesions above her eyes then the most likely explanation is an allergy.

It is possible it is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. However, the more common allergies in cats are to either food, medication, fleas or to something in the environment such as certain kinds of grasses or weeds.

The first thing I usually recommend when a cat has signs of allergies is to treat for fleas, even if fleas are not seen. It is always best to use a vet recommended product such as Revolution, Frontline, or Advantage. Many cats with skin problems have them because they are super sensitive to fleas and even one bite can cause problems.

I will sometimes give steroids (either by injection or as pills) to a cat will allergies. There are pros and cons to this. While most cats do not have any negative side effects with steroids, there is an extremely small chance of a cat developing diabetes after steroid injections.

It is also possible that these are just scabs as the result of a wound or scratch. If this is the case they should be gone within a few days.

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (6542 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (21187 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (19586 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (20551 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5753 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (46700 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (11011 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (20101 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (8419 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (8050 views)