Cat hair loss.

Breed: not sure
My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out. This is where her "eyebrows" would be. She had been out for 5 days and I am not sure is she is allergic to something outside. I see her lying in the tall grass and I was just wondering if it could be an allergic reaction.

Thank you for you help.

Millie

Thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions like this one without being able to see your cat, but I'll give you some thoughts.

It may be normal to see bald patches above the eyes. Many cats have bald spots above the eyes between the eyes and the base of the ear and this can be normal.

However,if you are seeing some lesions above her eyes then the most likely explanation is an allergy.

It is possible it is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. However, the more common allergies in cats are to either food, medication, fleas or to something in the environment such as certain kinds of grasses or weeds.

The first thing I usually recommend when a cat has signs of allergies is to treat for fleas, even if fleas are not seen. It is always best to use a vet recommended product such as Revolution, Frontline, or Advantage. Many cats with skin problems have them because they are super sensitive to fleas and even one bite can cause problems.

I will sometimes give steroids (either by injection or as pills) to a cat will allergies. There are pros and cons to this. While most cats do not have any negative side effects with steroids, there is an extremely small chance of a cat developing diabetes after steroid injections.

It is also possible that these are just scabs as the result of a wound or scratch. If this is the case they should be gone within a few days.

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (13470 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (45188 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (11432 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (6435 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (6654 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (6916 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (6032 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (8866 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (13196 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (5676 views)