Cat hair loss.

Breed: not sure
My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out. This is where her "eyebrows" would be. She had been out for 5 days and I am not sure is she is allergic to something outside. I see her lying in the tall grass and I was just wondering if it could be an allergic reaction.

Thank you for you help.

Millie

Thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions like this one without being able to see your cat, but I'll give you some thoughts.

It may be normal to see bald patches above the eyes. Many cats have bald spots above the eyes between the eyes and the base of the ear and this can be normal.

However,if you are seeing some lesions above her eyes then the most likely explanation is an allergy.

It is possible it is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. However, the more common allergies in cats are to either food, medication, fleas or to something in the environment such as certain kinds of grasses or weeds.

The first thing I usually recommend when a cat has signs of allergies is to treat for fleas, even if fleas are not seen. It is always best to use a vet recommended product such as Revolution, Frontline, or Advantage. Many cats with skin problems have them because they are super sensitive to fleas and even one bite can cause problems.

I will sometimes give steroids (either by injection or as pills) to a cat will allergies. There are pros and cons to this. While most cats do not have any negative side effects with steroids, there is an extremely small chance of a cat developing diabetes after steroid injections.

It is also possible that these are just scabs as the result of a wound or scratch. If this is the case they should be gone within a few days.

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7702 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (9679 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (8775 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7158 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (26814 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (15983 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (11010 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (11983 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7273 views)

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (3476 views)