Cat hair loss.

Breed: not sure
My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out. This is where her "eyebrows" would be. She had been out for 5 days and I am not sure is she is allergic to something outside. I see her lying in the tall grass and I was just wondering if it could be an allergic reaction.

Thank you for you help.

Millie

Thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions like this one without being able to see your cat, but I'll give you some thoughts.

It may be normal to see bald patches above the eyes. Many cats have bald spots above the eyes between the eyes and the base of the ear and this can be normal.

However,if you are seeing some lesions above her eyes then the most likely explanation is an allergy.

It is possible it is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. However, the more common allergies in cats are to either food, medication, fleas or to something in the environment such as certain kinds of grasses or weeds.

The first thing I usually recommend when a cat has signs of allergies is to treat for fleas, even if fleas are not seen. It is always best to use a vet recommended product such as Revolution, Frontline, or Advantage. Many cats with skin problems have them because they are super sensitive to fleas and even one bite can cause problems.

I will sometimes give steroids (either by injection or as pills) to a cat will allergies. There are pros and cons to this. While most cats do not have any negative side effects with steroids, there is an extremely small chance of a cat developing diabetes after steroid injections.

It is also possible that these are just scabs as the result of a wound or scratch. If this is the case they should be gone within a few days.

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (21757 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (6200 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (19292 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (137877 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (40140 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (27822 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (12476 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (19198 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (10545 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (7672 views)