Rapid weight loss.

Breed: short hair
Hello Dr. Marie,
First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for my outdoor kitty. Hes been pretty healthy for the last 3 years we have been feeding him but with in the last week we have noticed a fast weight loss.His 3rd eye is showing and thats how I could tell he is sick. Hes eating well and drinking well..but Ive noticed in his hind area hes a little wobbly.He also has an extended stomach (hes always had that) He seems a little lethargic and sleeps alot.My husband thinks its worms. Also about 2 weeks ago I gave him the hearts treatment for fleas and ticks on his neck..a couple of days later I noticed the fur was missing...and you can clearly see a tick head embedded in his skin...I dont know if its old or not. I just want to know if there is anything I can do over the counter for him...or is it time to just make him comfortable until he goes (tears). thank you

The symptoms that you have described do have me worried.

Parasites could cause the third eyelid elevation and possibly a little bit of a big belly but really should not cause significant rapid weight loss. Any time I see a rapid weight loss I am concerned.

In an outdoor cat, the risk of a virus such as Feline Leukemia, FIV or FIP is very high. My biggest concern for Kitty is that this may be FIP.

There are tick borne diseases that can affect cats but this doesn't sound like a tick borne disease.

Unfortunately if this is one of those viruses then there is no cure. If he were in my office, then I would likely do some blood tests on him to look for Feline Leukemia and FIV and also a general blood panel to give me hints about FIP. There is no one test that is accurate for FIP. But, these tests would cost you at least a couple of hundred dollars to do.

One thing that you could try is buying some over the counter medicine for tapeworms. Tapeworms can cause the elevated third eyelids and in some cases weight loss, but it is not usually severe. I don't believe that the Hartz treatment you did will cover tapeworms. If you are in the US then tapeworm medicine is available over the counter. In Canada it is only available by prescription.

But, if this doesn't work then there is not much that you can do. Ultimately it would be best to have a vet look at him if at all possible.

Dr. Marie,
Thank you for your advice...it has helped me alot. :-))One of the most wonderful things about our neighborhood is the volunteers that pick up stray cats and have them nurtured. The cats become wonderful porch and yard companions. Sadly tho ...no one can afford the medications they need except flea and tick meds. Kitty has had a companion for the last year...who shows no signs of this FIP. WE have had a black cat come around in heat but I know Kitty stays far away from other cats. I will try the suggestions you gave on the worm meds...and keep him comfortable for the rest of his life. :--)) thank you Dr. Marie and God Bless you and what you do for us all.

You're very welcome.

I just wanted to mention that FIP is not directly contagious from cat to cat so one cat could have it and the other may not. When cats come in contact with the virus that causes FIP, only 5% of them actually will get FIP.

Regardless, I hope that things improve with the poor little guy. Thanks for helping him out.

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (167935 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (10856 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (9434 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (48117 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (9549 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (10713 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (12316 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (9169 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (23650 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (54636 views)