Rapid weight loss.

Breed: short hair
Hello Dr. Marie,
First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for my outdoor kitty. Hes been pretty healthy for the last 3 years we have been feeding him but with in the last week we have noticed a fast weight loss.His 3rd eye is showing and thats how I could tell he is sick. Hes eating well and drinking well..but Ive noticed in his hind area hes a little wobbly.He also has an extended stomach (hes always had that) He seems a little lethargic and sleeps alot.My husband thinks its worms. Also about 2 weeks ago I gave him the hearts treatment for fleas and ticks on his neck..a couple of days later I noticed the fur was missing...and you can clearly see a tick head embedded in his skin...I dont know if its old or not. I just want to know if there is anything I can do over the counter for him...or is it time to just make him comfortable until he goes (tears). thank you

The symptoms that you have described do have me worried.

Parasites could cause the third eyelid elevation and possibly a little bit of a big belly but really should not cause significant rapid weight loss. Any time I see a rapid weight loss I am concerned.

In an outdoor cat, the risk of a virus such as Feline Leukemia, FIV or FIP is very high. My biggest concern for Kitty is that this may be FIP.

There are tick borne diseases that can affect cats but this doesn't sound like a tick borne disease.

Unfortunately if this is one of those viruses then there is no cure. If he were in my office, then I would likely do some blood tests on him to look for Feline Leukemia and FIV and also a general blood panel to give me hints about FIP. There is no one test that is accurate for FIP. But, these tests would cost you at least a couple of hundred dollars to do.

One thing that you could try is buying some over the counter medicine for tapeworms. Tapeworms can cause the elevated third eyelids and in some cases weight loss, but it is not usually severe. I don't believe that the Hartz treatment you did will cover tapeworms. If you are in the US then tapeworm medicine is available over the counter. In Canada it is only available by prescription.

But, if this doesn't work then there is not much that you can do. Ultimately it would be best to have a vet look at him if at all possible.

Dr. Marie,
Thank you for your advice...it has helped me alot. :-))One of the most wonderful things about our neighborhood is the volunteers that pick up stray cats and have them nurtured. The cats become wonderful porch and yard companions. Sadly tho ...no one can afford the medications they need except flea and tick meds. Kitty has had a companion for the last year...who shows no signs of this FIP. WE have had a black cat come around in heat but I know Kitty stays far away from other cats. I will try the suggestions you gave on the worm meds...and keep him comfortable for the rest of his life. :--)) thank you Dr. Marie and God Bless you and what you do for us all.

You're very welcome.

I just wanted to mention that FIP is not directly contagious from cat to cat so one cat could have it and the other may not. When cats come in contact with the virus that causes FIP, only 5% of them actually will get FIP.

Regardless, I hope that things improve with the poor little guy. Thanks for helping him out.

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (6470 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (47638 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (7819 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (10976 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (9783 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (10011 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (8827 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (5010 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (6272 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (8700 views)