Rapid weight loss.

Breed: short hair
Hello Dr. Marie,
First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for my outdoor kitty. Hes been pretty healthy for the last 3 years we have been feeding him but with in the last week we have noticed a fast weight loss.His 3rd eye is showing and thats how I could tell he is sick. Hes eating well and drinking well..but Ive noticed in his hind area hes a little wobbly.He also has an extended stomach (hes always had that) He seems a little lethargic and sleeps alot.My husband thinks its worms. Also about 2 weeks ago I gave him the hearts treatment for fleas and ticks on his neck..a couple of days later I noticed the fur was missing...and you can clearly see a tick head embedded in his skin...I dont know if its old or not. I just want to know if there is anything I can do over the counter for him...or is it time to just make him comfortable until he goes (tears). thank you

The symptoms that you have described do have me worried.

Parasites could cause the third eyelid elevation and possibly a little bit of a big belly but really should not cause significant rapid weight loss. Any time I see a rapid weight loss I am concerned.

In an outdoor cat, the risk of a virus such as Feline Leukemia, FIV or FIP is very high. My biggest concern for Kitty is that this may be FIP.

There are tick borne diseases that can affect cats but this doesn't sound like a tick borne disease.

Unfortunately if this is one of those viruses then there is no cure. If he were in my office, then I would likely do some blood tests on him to look for Feline Leukemia and FIV and also a general blood panel to give me hints about FIP. There is no one test that is accurate for FIP. But, these tests would cost you at least a couple of hundred dollars to do.

One thing that you could try is buying some over the counter medicine for tapeworms. Tapeworms can cause the elevated third eyelids and in some cases weight loss, but it is not usually severe. I don't believe that the Hartz treatment you did will cover tapeworms. If you are in the US then tapeworm medicine is available over the counter. In Canada it is only available by prescription.

But, if this doesn't work then there is not much that you can do. Ultimately it would be best to have a vet look at him if at all possible.

Dr. Marie,
Thank you for your advice...it has helped me alot. :-))One of the most wonderful things about our neighborhood is the volunteers that pick up stray cats and have them nurtured. The cats become wonderful porch and yard companions. Sadly tho ...no one can afford the medications they need except flea and tick meds. Kitty has had a companion for the last year...who shows no signs of this FIP. WE have had a black cat come around in heat but I know Kitty stays far away from other cats. I will try the suggestions you gave on the worm meds...and keep him comfortable for the rest of his life. :--)) thank you Dr. Marie and God Bless you and what you do for us all.

You're very welcome.

I just wanted to mention that FIP is not directly contagious from cat to cat so one cat could have it and the other may not. When cats come in contact with the virus that causes FIP, only 5% of them actually will get FIP.

Regardless, I hope that things improve with the poor little guy. Thanks for helping him out.

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (21647 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (9232 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (12074 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (8658 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (6534 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (28359 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (14365 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (6317 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (9177 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (25174 views)