Possible degnerative myelopathy.

Breed: chesapeake Bay retri
My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease although reading the symptoms I think it is myopathy. She drags her rear legs, can hardly get up the step but thank God doesn't appear to be in any pain. It is getting harder and harder for her to get around. Would a cart benefit her? Is she too big a dog for this? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Kathie Chipouras

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Selttiks is having these problems. I believe that what you are describing is something called degnerative myelopathy. This is much more common in German Shepherds but can affect any breed of dog.

In degenerative myelopathy there is usually no pain but the dog slowly loses nerve function in the back legs.

It still is possible however that this is degenerative disc disease. It is important to distinguish between the two because disc disease is indeed painful (although the dogs don't always readily show symptoms). If it is a degenerative disease then she would benefit greatly from anti-inflammatory medications prescribed by your vet.

In either case, a cart may be a good idea for your girl. There are several companies that make them. You can find more info at:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/spinal_injury.php

I hope she does ok.

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8033 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10565 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8407 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (48427 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (36161 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15721 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (8905 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (71763 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (36481 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (12613 views)