Possible degnerative myelopathy.

Breed: chesapeake Bay retri
My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease although reading the symptoms I think it is myopathy. She drags her rear legs, can hardly get up the step but thank God doesn't appear to be in any pain. It is getting harder and harder for her to get around. Would a cart benefit her? Is she too big a dog for this? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Kathie Chipouras

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Selttiks is having these problems. I believe that what you are describing is something called degnerative myelopathy. This is much more common in German Shepherds but can affect any breed of dog.

In degenerative myelopathy there is usually no pain but the dog slowly loses nerve function in the back legs.

It still is possible however that this is degenerative disc disease. It is important to distinguish between the two because disc disease is indeed painful (although the dogs don't always readily show symptoms). If it is a degenerative disease then she would benefit greatly from anti-inflammatory medications prescribed by your vet.

In either case, a cart may be a good idea for your girl. There are several companies that make them. You can find more info at:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/spinal_injury.php

I hope she does ok.

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (16783 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (10631 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (10804 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (41158 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (9940 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (44878 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8062 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (14006 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (12830 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (12947 views)