Possible degnerative myelopathy.

Breed: chesapeake Bay retri
My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease although reading the symptoms I think it is myopathy. She drags her rear legs, can hardly get up the step but thank God doesn't appear to be in any pain. It is getting harder and harder for her to get around. Would a cart benefit her? Is she too big a dog for this? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Kathie Chipouras

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Selttiks is having these problems. I believe that what you are describing is something called degnerative myelopathy. This is much more common in German Shepherds but can affect any breed of dog.

In degenerative myelopathy there is usually no pain but the dog slowly loses nerve function in the back legs.

It still is possible however that this is degenerative disc disease. It is important to distinguish between the two because disc disease is indeed painful (although the dogs don't always readily show symptoms). If it is a degenerative disease then she would benefit greatly from anti-inflammatory medications prescribed by your vet.

In either case, a cart may be a good idea for your girl. There are several companies that make them. You can find more info at:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/spinal_injury.php

I hope she does ok.

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (32636 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (5795 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (6323 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (40444 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (13347 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9484 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (5111 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (9924 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (14957 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (7872 views)