Possible degnerative myelopathy.

Breed: chesapeake Bay retri
My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease although reading the symptoms I think it is myopathy. She drags her rear legs, can hardly get up the step but thank God doesn't appear to be in any pain. It is getting harder and harder for her to get around. Would a cart benefit her? Is she too big a dog for this? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Kathie Chipouras

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Selttiks is having these problems. I believe that what you are describing is something called degnerative myelopathy. This is much more common in German Shepherds but can affect any breed of dog.

In degenerative myelopathy there is usually no pain but the dog slowly loses nerve function in the back legs.

It still is possible however that this is degenerative disc disease. It is important to distinguish between the two because disc disease is indeed painful (although the dogs don't always readily show symptoms). If it is a degenerative disease then she would benefit greatly from anti-inflammatory medications prescribed by your vet.

In either case, a cart may be a good idea for your girl. There are several companies that make them. You can find more info at:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/spinal_injury.php

I hope she does ok.

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (6985 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7093 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (10999 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (160787 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (18604 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (23973 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (7198 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (4954 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (12411 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (10681 views)