Running with puppy.

Breed: Airedale Terrier
I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a lanky 55 pounds. I would like to run with him. Generally I want to know if he is too young to begin running. I realize I will need to bring him along slowly to build up mileage but I was not sure how often and how far to run at his age. I was thinking a mile or two a few days a week. I would eventually like to have him run 5 or 6 miles with me 4 or 5 days a week.

I typically run and either sidewalks or an asphalt paved running trail. A few days a month I run on a dirt trail. I typically run at a 7:30/mile pace.

This is a controversial subject! You will hear a lot of people tell you that you should not run with a dog until they are two years of age. But really, this thought is not based on science. The concern is that we don't want to do repetitive damage to the growth plates before they close.

I don't buy this though. If this was true, then we would tell our children not to run and play at all until they were full grown.

If you have a dog who has a known joint problem such as OCD then I would restrict exercise but other wise I am totally fine with your puppy running with you.

Let Bogey be the judge in telling you how far he can go. Start off with a short run and see how he does. Then, each day, increase the length. If you find he is really sore afterwards or if he is lagging behind then you know you need to cut back the next time.

Have fun!

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (16943 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (180122 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (4984 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (8071 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (10997 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8163 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (17755 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4646 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (26976 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (17312 views)