Running with puppy.

Breed: Airedale Terrier
I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a lanky 55 pounds. I would like to run with him. Generally I want to know if he is too young to begin running. I realize I will need to bring him along slowly to build up mileage but I was not sure how often and how far to run at his age. I was thinking a mile or two a few days a week. I would eventually like to have him run 5 or 6 miles with me 4 or 5 days a week.

I typically run and either sidewalks or an asphalt paved running trail. A few days a month I run on a dirt trail. I typically run at a 7:30/mile pace.

This is a controversial subject! You will hear a lot of people tell you that you should not run with a dog until they are two years of age. But really, this thought is not based on science. The concern is that we don't want to do repetitive damage to the growth plates before they close.

I don't buy this though. If this was true, then we would tell our children not to run and play at all until they were full grown.

If you have a dog who has a known joint problem such as OCD then I would restrict exercise but other wise I am totally fine with your puppy running with you.

Let Bogey be the judge in telling you how far he can go. Start off with a short run and see how he does. Then, each day, increase the length. If you find he is really sore afterwards or if he is lagging behind then you know you need to cut back the next time.

Have fun!

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (10057 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (9180 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (70672 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (18144 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14596 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5729 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (136881 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (17181 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (10371 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (22987 views)