Running with puppy.

Breed: Airedale Terrier
I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a lanky 55 pounds. I would like to run with him. Generally I want to know if he is too young to begin running. I realize I will need to bring him along slowly to build up mileage but I was not sure how often and how far to run at his age. I was thinking a mile or two a few days a week. I would eventually like to have him run 5 or 6 miles with me 4 or 5 days a week.

I typically run and either sidewalks or an asphalt paved running trail. A few days a month I run on a dirt trail. I typically run at a 7:30/mile pace.

This is a controversial subject! You will hear a lot of people tell you that you should not run with a dog until they are two years of age. But really, this thought is not based on science. The concern is that we don't want to do repetitive damage to the growth plates before they close.

I don't buy this though. If this was true, then we would tell our children not to run and play at all until they were full grown.

If you have a dog who has a known joint problem such as OCD then I would restrict exercise but other wise I am totally fine with your puppy running with you.

Let Bogey be the judge in telling you how far he can go. Start off with a short run and see how he does. Then, each day, increase the length. If you find he is really sore afterwards or if he is lagging behind then you know you need to cut back the next time.

Have fun!

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9287 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (7508 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (11674 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (17428 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (5882 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (13060 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6682 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (10654 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8448 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (5641 views)