Running with puppy.

Breed: Airedale Terrier
I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a lanky 55 pounds. I would like to run with him. Generally I want to know if he is too young to begin running. I realize I will need to bring him along slowly to build up mileage but I was not sure how often and how far to run at his age. I was thinking a mile or two a few days a week. I would eventually like to have him run 5 or 6 miles with me 4 or 5 days a week.

I typically run and either sidewalks or an asphalt paved running trail. A few days a month I run on a dirt trail. I typically run at a 7:30/mile pace.

This is a controversial subject! You will hear a lot of people tell you that you should not run with a dog until they are two years of age. But really, this thought is not based on science. The concern is that we don't want to do repetitive damage to the growth plates before they close.

I don't buy this though. If this was true, then we would tell our children not to run and play at all until they were full grown.

If you have a dog who has a known joint problem such as OCD then I would restrict exercise but other wise I am totally fine with your puppy running with you.

Let Bogey be the judge in telling you how far he can go. Start off with a short run and see how he does. Then, each day, increase the length. If you find he is really sore afterwards or if he is lagging behind then you know you need to cut back the next time.

Have fun!

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5242 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (18541 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (6879 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (11816 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (5026 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (16322 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (89468 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32373 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8492 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (6877 views)