Running with puppy.

Breed: Airedale Terrier
I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a lanky 55 pounds. I would like to run with him. Generally I want to know if he is too young to begin running. I realize I will need to bring him along slowly to build up mileage but I was not sure how often and how far to run at his age. I was thinking a mile or two a few days a week. I would eventually like to have him run 5 or 6 miles with me 4 or 5 days a week.

I typically run and either sidewalks or an asphalt paved running trail. A few days a month I run on a dirt trail. I typically run at a 7:30/mile pace.

This is a controversial subject! You will hear a lot of people tell you that you should not run with a dog until they are two years of age. But really, this thought is not based on science. The concern is that we don't want to do repetitive damage to the growth plates before they close.

I don't buy this though. If this was true, then we would tell our children not to run and play at all until they were full grown.

If you have a dog who has a known joint problem such as OCD then I would restrict exercise but other wise I am totally fine with your puppy running with you.

Let Bogey be the judge in telling you how far he can go. Start off with a short run and see how he does. Then, each day, increase the length. If you find he is really sore afterwards or if he is lagging behind then you know you need to cut back the next time.

Have fun!

Getting a second dog. We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got... (8996 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (9635 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (8651 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (7341 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (17364 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (6644 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (16861 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (15650 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (16107 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (12972 views)