Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog died after injections.

Species: Dog
Breed: mini dachsund
Age: 11-15 years
Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night. She was rushed to a 24 hour vet clinic where the vet on duty, after checking her out and seeing that she still had movement in rear legs and feeling in front paws by a pinch test, the back muscles also rippled across the spine when tweaked except in neck area. The vet thought she had a pinched nerve in neck and gave her Robaxin-Methocarbamol injection of 2.5, Cerenia injection of .75 ml and morphine injection of .2 ml. We were told that she would start panting in +/- 15 minutes. We have a vet, but he was unavailable at 2:30 in the am. We left after planning to have more extensive test done when he opened. Our dog died 20 minutes later. I am not looking to blame anyone or sue. What's done is done. I just want to know should I have done something more (had the tests done there). Any help would be appreciated.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I also apologize that I did not answer your question sooner. I recently had a baby and my free question section has been neglected.

It is extremely uncommon for a dog to die after receiving treatment like this.

My gut instinct is that there was something else going on with Trixi either on top or, or instead of a disc problem. It may be that there was an embolism as a result of something similar to a stroke. If this were the case there could have been severe heart problems. It's also possible that the problem was not a back problem but was something like a ruptured spleen tumor. I have seen some dogs where the symptoms are similar. In a daschund, because back problems are so common, it's possible that it was assumed that there was a back problem when there was not.

Now, it is also possible that an overdose of medication was given. Unfortunately it's hard to say what dose was given when you say, "0.2ml" were given because there are different strengths of medications.

This situation is probably long dealt with but a case like this is one where a post mortem should be offered by your vet.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (61805 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (10599 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (8715 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (29921 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (11287 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (7375 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (11705 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8568 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (26536 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (12269 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.