Dog died after injections.

Breed: mini dachsund
Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night. She was rushed to a 24 hour vet clinic where the vet on duty, after checking her out and seeing that she still had movement in rear legs and feeling in front paws by a pinch test, the back muscles also rippled across the spine when tweaked except in neck area. The vet thought she had a pinched nerve in neck and gave her Robaxin-Methocarbamol injection of 2.5, Cerenia injection of .75 ml and morphine injection of .2 ml. We were told that she would start panting in +/- 15 minutes. We have a vet, but he was unavailable at 2:30 in the am. We left after planning to have more extensive test done when he opened. Our dog died 20 minutes later. I am not looking to blame anyone or sue. What's done is done. I just want to know should I have done something more (had the tests done there). Any help would be appreciated.

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I also apologize that I did not answer your question sooner. I recently had a baby and my free question section has been neglected.

It is extremely uncommon for a dog to die after receiving treatment like this.

My gut instinct is that there was something else going on with Trixi either on top or, or instead of a disc problem. It may be that there was an embolism as a result of something similar to a stroke. If this were the case there could have been severe heart problems. It's also possible that the problem was not a back problem but was something like a ruptured spleen tumor. I have seen some dogs where the symptoms are similar. In a daschund, because back problems are so common, it's possible that it was assumed that there was a back problem when there was not.

Now, it is also possible that an overdose of medication was given. Unfortunately it's hard to say what dose was given when you say, "0.2ml" were given because there are different strengths of medications.

This situation is probably long dealt with but a case like this is one where a post mortem should be offered by your vet.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10337 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (21956 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (140061 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (6232 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4807 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (4913 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10935 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (80679 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (13201 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9517 views)