Dog died after injections.

Breed: mini dachsund
Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night. She was rushed to a 24 hour vet clinic where the vet on duty, after checking her out and seeing that she still had movement in rear legs and feeling in front paws by a pinch test, the back muscles also rippled across the spine when tweaked except in neck area. The vet thought she had a pinched nerve in neck and gave her Robaxin-Methocarbamol injection of 2.5, Cerenia injection of .75 ml and morphine injection of .2 ml. We were told that she would start panting in +/- 15 minutes. We have a vet, but he was unavailable at 2:30 in the am. We left after planning to have more extensive test done when he opened. Our dog died 20 minutes later. I am not looking to blame anyone or sue. What's done is done. I just want to know should I have done something more (had the tests done there). Any help would be appreciated.

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I also apologize that I did not answer your question sooner. I recently had a baby and my free question section has been neglected.

It is extremely uncommon for a dog to die after receiving treatment like this.

My gut instinct is that there was something else going on with Trixi either on top or, or instead of a disc problem. It may be that there was an embolism as a result of something similar to a stroke. If this were the case there could have been severe heart problems. It's also possible that the problem was not a back problem but was something like a ruptured spleen tumor. I have seen some dogs where the symptoms are similar. In a daschund, because back problems are so common, it's possible that it was assumed that there was a back problem when there was not.

Now, it is also possible that an overdose of medication was given. Unfortunately it's hard to say what dose was given when you say, "0.2ml" were given because there are different strengths of medications.

This situation is probably long dealt with but a case like this is one where a post mortem should be offered by your vet.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (15465 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (22159 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8979 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (11026 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (16759 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (64434 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (7721 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (7432 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (13076 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7371 views)