Dog died after injections.

Breed: mini dachsund
Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night. She was rushed to a 24 hour vet clinic where the vet on duty, after checking her out and seeing that she still had movement in rear legs and feeling in front paws by a pinch test, the back muscles also rippled across the spine when tweaked except in neck area. The vet thought she had a pinched nerve in neck and gave her Robaxin-Methocarbamol injection of 2.5, Cerenia injection of .75 ml and morphine injection of .2 ml. We were told that she would start panting in +/- 15 minutes. We have a vet, but he was unavailable at 2:30 in the am. We left after planning to have more extensive test done when he opened. Our dog died 20 minutes later. I am not looking to blame anyone or sue. What's done is done. I just want to know should I have done something more (had the tests done there). Any help would be appreciated.

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I also apologize that I did not answer your question sooner. I recently had a baby and my free question section has been neglected.

It is extremely uncommon for a dog to die after receiving treatment like this.

My gut instinct is that there was something else going on with Trixi either on top or, or instead of a disc problem. It may be that there was an embolism as a result of something similar to a stroke. If this were the case there could have been severe heart problems. It's also possible that the problem was not a back problem but was something like a ruptured spleen tumor. I have seen some dogs where the symptoms are similar. In a daschund, because back problems are so common, it's possible that it was assumed that there was a back problem when there was not.

Now, it is also possible that an overdose of medication was given. Unfortunately it's hard to say what dose was given when you say, "0.2ml" were given because there are different strengths of medications.

This situation is probably long dealt with but a case like this is one where a post mortem should be offered by your vet.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (9201 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (10102 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (13286 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (7579 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (5807 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (10579 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (24100 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (37598 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13244 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (27796 views)