Lethargic shih tzu

Breed: shih tzu
My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a few steps (to be near us) and then lies down.
He is still eating, although not his entire serving. He is peeing and pooping but just seems very lethargic. Any idea what can be the cause?
Debbi

Sorry to hear that Houston is having problems. This is a hard question for me to answer without being able to see him, but I can see if I can give you a few ideas.

Sometimes a dog can be lethargic because of pain. I have seen a good number of shih tzus that have had back problems. You may be able to tell if there is back pain by doing this: Stand him up on all four legs and press on his back one vertebra at a time. If there is pain he will either react or lick his lips when you touch that spot. If there is one spot that consistently gets a reaction then this is likely back pain. Some dogs with minor back pain can recover on their own but if it is not going away in a day or two or if he seems really uncomfortable then a vet visit is the best idea.

It is also possible that he has some mild stomach upset from eating something that he shouldn't have. If this is the case then it should resolve within 24 hours.

An insect sting is also a possibility.

In any case, if he still has these symptoms in 24-48 hours or if he seems like he is getting worse then a vet visit is the best idea.

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (12506 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (11293 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (10911 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (10997 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (14668 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (9071 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (163397 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (12687 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (6639 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (25568 views)