Lethargic shih tzu

Breed: shih tzu
My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a few steps (to be near us) and then lies down.
He is still eating, although not his entire serving. He is peeing and pooping but just seems very lethargic. Any idea what can be the cause?
Debbi

Sorry to hear that Houston is having problems. This is a hard question for me to answer without being able to see him, but I can see if I can give you a few ideas.

Sometimes a dog can be lethargic because of pain. I have seen a good number of shih tzus that have had back problems. You may be able to tell if there is back pain by doing this: Stand him up on all four legs and press on his back one vertebra at a time. If there is pain he will either react or lick his lips when you touch that spot. If there is one spot that consistently gets a reaction then this is likely back pain. Some dogs with minor back pain can recover on their own but if it is not going away in a day or two or if he seems really uncomfortable then a vet visit is the best idea.

It is also possible that he has some mild stomach upset from eating something that he shouldn't have. If this is the case then it should resolve within 24 hours.

An insect sting is also a possibility.

In any case, if he still has these symptoms in 24-48 hours or if he seems like he is getting worse then a vet visit is the best idea.

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (43815 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14805 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (9591 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (94661 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (10320 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (40037 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (18038 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (7799 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (38314 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (9879 views)