Lethargic shih tzu

Breed: shih tzu
My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a few steps (to be near us) and then lies down.
He is still eating, although not his entire serving. He is peeing and pooping but just seems very lethargic. Any idea what can be the cause?
Debbi

Sorry to hear that Houston is having problems. This is a hard question for me to answer without being able to see him, but I can see if I can give you a few ideas.

Sometimes a dog can be lethargic because of pain. I have seen a good number of shih tzus that have had back problems. You may be able to tell if there is back pain by doing this: Stand him up on all four legs and press on his back one vertebra at a time. If there is pain he will either react or lick his lips when you touch that spot. If there is one spot that consistently gets a reaction then this is likely back pain. Some dogs with minor back pain can recover on their own but if it is not going away in a day or two or if he seems really uncomfortable then a vet visit is the best idea.

It is also possible that he has some mild stomach upset from eating something that he shouldn't have. If this is the case then it should resolve within 24 hours.

An insect sting is also a possibility.

In any case, if he still has these symptoms in 24-48 hours or if he seems like he is getting worse then a vet visit is the best idea.

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10951 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (8333 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16832 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6829 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (222667 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (23394 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (8265 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5945 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (9422 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (15645 views)