Lethargic shih tzu

Breed: shih tzu
My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a few steps (to be near us) and then lies down.
He is still eating, although not his entire serving. He is peeing and pooping but just seems very lethargic. Any idea what can be the cause?
Debbi

Sorry to hear that Houston is having problems. This is a hard question for me to answer without being able to see him, but I can see if I can give you a few ideas.

Sometimes a dog can be lethargic because of pain. I have seen a good number of shih tzus that have had back problems. You may be able to tell if there is back pain by doing this: Stand him up on all four legs and press on his back one vertebra at a time. If there is pain he will either react or lick his lips when you touch that spot. If there is one spot that consistently gets a reaction then this is likely back pain. Some dogs with minor back pain can recover on their own but if it is not going away in a day or two or if he seems really uncomfortable then a vet visit is the best idea.

It is also possible that he has some mild stomach upset from eating something that he shouldn't have. If this is the case then it should resolve within 24 hours.

An insect sting is also a possibility.

In any case, if he still has these symptoms in 24-48 hours or if he seems like he is getting worse then a vet visit is the best idea.

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (14639 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (11916 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (8798 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (6464 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (13314 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (48618 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (52014 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (11864 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (13282 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (10565 views)