Lethargic shih tzu

Breed: shih tzu
My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a few steps (to be near us) and then lies down.
He is still eating, although not his entire serving. He is peeing and pooping but just seems very lethargic. Any idea what can be the cause?
Debbi

Sorry to hear that Houston is having problems. This is a hard question for me to answer without being able to see him, but I can see if I can give you a few ideas.

Sometimes a dog can be lethargic because of pain. I have seen a good number of shih tzus that have had back problems. You may be able to tell if there is back pain by doing this: Stand him up on all four legs and press on his back one vertebra at a time. If there is pain he will either react or lick his lips when you touch that spot. If there is one spot that consistently gets a reaction then this is likely back pain. Some dogs with minor back pain can recover on their own but if it is not going away in a day or two or if he seems really uncomfortable then a vet visit is the best idea.

It is also possible that he has some mild stomach upset from eating something that he shouldn't have. If this is the case then it should resolve within 24 hours.

An insect sting is also a possibility.

In any case, if he still has these symptoms in 24-48 hours or if he seems like he is getting worse then a vet visit is the best idea.

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13037 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (17824 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (19634 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (24723 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (7901 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5192 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (6677 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7503 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (16067 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7548 views)