Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog?

Breed: Mixed
I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then wipe his mouth clean. Recently I found out I am pregnant, my concern is whether my dog could have gotten toxoplasmosis, but more importantly, could he have transmitted to me if he had eaten the cat feces without my knowledge and then at one point licked my face afterwards???

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!

Toxoplasmosis is something that often gives cats a bad rap. However, it is extremely uncommon for a person to get toxoplasmosis from their pets.

Let's start first of all with cats. Cats can get toxoplasmosis from eating raw meat that is infected with toxo. So, for example, some mice can carry toxo and if your cat ate it then it can get infected. Then, the toxo can either cause cysts to form in the cat's muscle, or the cat can pass cysts in the stool. If those cysts sit in the stool for a few days and somehow you ingest or inhale the stool then you can get toxoplasmosis. If you pick up toxo at a particular stage in your pregnancy then this can cause birth defects.

However, a lot has to happen in order for a cat to transmit toxo to you. The cat has to eat meat infected with toxo and then has to shed the cysts and then the litter box needs to be neglected for a few days and then you have to ingest or inhale the stool. It is MUCH more common for people to get toxoplasmosis from eating undercooked meat than from their cats.

So, now let's look at dogs. If a dog ate cat stool and that cat had ingested raw meat that was infected with toxoplasmosis then yes, the dog can get it. However, the good news is that in dogs they rarely shed the cysts. It can sit in the dog's muscle tissue but it rarely is transmitted in the stool. It definitely is not spread through saliva, so licking your face is not going to give you toxo!

Parisitologists tell us that the only way you are likely to get toxoplasmosis from your dog is if you happen to eat raw dog flesh that is infected with toxo. So, refrain from eating your dog and you should be absolutely fine. :)

Congrats on your pregnancy. I have a little girl myself and I know what it is like to be concerned about all of the different things that can affect a fetus. But rest assured that you don't need to worry about your dog transmitting toxo to your baby.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have a million worries about this in my head and I have another question. Can the cysts attach to the hair around his mouth while ingesting? (I have never actually seen any feces in his hair). Now that you have my mind at ease about the saliva, I'm worried that when he licked me it could have also been spread that way. Sorry if I sound crazy but I'm so nervous about anything harming the baby. Thanks again.

No, what you are describing really couldn't happen. The cysts are embedded deep inside of the muscle. They're not going to get stuck in the hair at all. They only come out of the muscle once they are digested and then they either make their way to the muscle of the dog or possibly out into the feces. But dogs rarely pass toxo in their feces.

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (7538 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (14990 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8230 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (20094 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (8306 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (13189 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (7367 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (7924 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11112 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (8449 views)