How to calm down hyper dog.

Breed: labrador retriever m
We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly trainable and calm-except for barking at strangers. He is neutered. He is able to get along well with other dogs. He does have a birth defect in both of his back feet, but is able to walk and run with the help of Medicam.

Our neighbors have a pit bull/boxer mix which they wanted to give away. Since Samson and the pit/boxer had been long-time friends through the chain-link fence, we agreed to take her. She is not spayed; she is slightly larger than Samson, and she is very, very strong and energetic. Even with a lot of exercise for the pit/boxer, she and Samson play too hard together--we can't leave them alone because he tends to get hurt. Would spaying her help? Do they just need more training? or is this not a good match because of her strength and high energy level?

This is a tough question to answer! I'll give you my thoughts on your situation though.

First of all, yes, spaying the new girl may help to calm her down a little bit. However, I find this is more dramatic for males (i.e. when they are neutered). I don't think we could guarantee that she would slow down after being spayed. However, it really is best for her health to be spayed anyhow.

How long have you had the new dog? You may find that after they have been together for a few weeks that things settle down a little bit. It's kind of like when a 10 year old boy has his friends over for a sleepover - they are CRAZY. But, if his friends were to live with him for a while they wouldn't be quite as rambunctious after a while.

Obedience training in classes would be great for the new dog as well. The reason I say to do it in classes (rather than trying to train her at home) is that the class atmosphere will teach her to behave amongst other dogs as well. And, as she learns to be obedient you may be able to have better control over her when she wants to be too rambunctious with Samson.

You've got the right idea about exercise as well. The more you can exercise her the better behaved she is apt to be!

I hope she calms down a little more for you soon!

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6897 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (15761 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8785 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8893 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (24176 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (8675 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (16622 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (13925 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14966 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (8083 views)