How to calm down hyper dog.

Breed: labrador retriever m
We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly trainable and calm-except for barking at strangers. He is neutered. He is able to get along well with other dogs. He does have a birth defect in both of his back feet, but is able to walk and run with the help of Medicam.

Our neighbors have a pit bull/boxer mix which they wanted to give away. Since Samson and the pit/boxer had been long-time friends through the chain-link fence, we agreed to take her. She is not spayed; she is slightly larger than Samson, and she is very, very strong and energetic. Even with a lot of exercise for the pit/boxer, she and Samson play too hard together--we can't leave them alone because he tends to get hurt. Would spaying her help? Do they just need more training? or is this not a good match because of her strength and high energy level?

This is a tough question to answer! I'll give you my thoughts on your situation though.

First of all, yes, spaying the new girl may help to calm her down a little bit. However, I find this is more dramatic for males (i.e. when they are neutered). I don't think we could guarantee that she would slow down after being spayed. However, it really is best for her health to be spayed anyhow.

How long have you had the new dog? You may find that after they have been together for a few weeks that things settle down a little bit. It's kind of like when a 10 year old boy has his friends over for a sleepover - they are CRAZY. But, if his friends were to live with him for a while they wouldn't be quite as rambunctious after a while.

Obedience training in classes would be great for the new dog as well. The reason I say to do it in classes (rather than trying to train her at home) is that the class atmosphere will teach her to behave amongst other dogs as well. And, as she learns to be obedient you may be able to have better control over her when she wants to be too rambunctious with Samson.

You've got the right idea about exercise as well. The more you can exercise her the better behaved she is apt to be!

I hope she calms down a little more for you soon!

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8764 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (32219 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (19647 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (11512 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (27278 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8879 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (29186 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9814 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (12051 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (237053 views)