How to calm down hyper dog.

Breed: labrador retriever m
We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly trainable and calm-except for barking at strangers. He is neutered. He is able to get along well with other dogs. He does have a birth defect in both of his back feet, but is able to walk and run with the help of Medicam.

Our neighbors have a pit bull/boxer mix which they wanted to give away. Since Samson and the pit/boxer had been long-time friends through the chain-link fence, we agreed to take her. She is not spayed; she is slightly larger than Samson, and she is very, very strong and energetic. Even with a lot of exercise for the pit/boxer, she and Samson play too hard together--we can't leave them alone because he tends to get hurt. Would spaying her help? Do they just need more training? or is this not a good match because of her strength and high energy level?

This is a tough question to answer! I'll give you my thoughts on your situation though.

First of all, yes, spaying the new girl may help to calm her down a little bit. However, I find this is more dramatic for males (i.e. when they are neutered). I don't think we could guarantee that she would slow down after being spayed. However, it really is best for her health to be spayed anyhow.

How long have you had the new dog? You may find that after they have been together for a few weeks that things settle down a little bit. It's kind of like when a 10 year old boy has his friends over for a sleepover - they are CRAZY. But, if his friends were to live with him for a while they wouldn't be quite as rambunctious after a while.

Obedience training in classes would be great for the new dog as well. The reason I say to do it in classes (rather than trying to train her at home) is that the class atmosphere will teach her to behave amongst other dogs as well. And, as she learns to be obedient you may be able to have better control over her when she wants to be too rambunctious with Samson.

You've got the right idea about exercise as well. The more you can exercise her the better behaved she is apt to be!

I hope she calms down a little more for you soon!

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (17701 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (17166 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (34437 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (5061 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (4089 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (3817 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (10633 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (51568 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (20670 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (11240 views)