Dwarf hamsters fighting.

Breed: chineese dwarf hamst
HI DOC. ,
I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY YOUNG AGE . THEY HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN ALONG,BUT,THEY ARE SUDDENLY STARTING TO FIGHT . THEY ARE ABOUT 1 YEAR OLD NOW . ITS SOUNDS CRAZY,BUT, MY WIFE AND I HAVE GOTTEN VERRY CLOST TO THESE LITTLE GIRLS AND DONT WANT ANYTHING BAD TO HAPPEN TO THEM .
WHY ARE THE FIGHTING ? AND WHAT CAN WE DO TO STOP IT ?
WE KEEP THEM CLEAN AND REARRANGE THERE CAGE OFTEN SO THEY DONT GET BORED . WE ALSO LET THEM RUN AROUND IN THERE OWN LITTLE BALLS . .. IF YOU COULD HELP WE WOULD BE MOST THANKFULL. WE LOST OUR HOME DUE TO THE ECONOMY AND HAD TO GIVE UP OUR DOGS . THEY HAVE GREAT HOMES BUT, WE WANT TO KEEP OUR CHINEESE HAMSTERS HAPPY .. PLEASE HELP... THANK YOU ... JOE AND CONNIE ROBINSON

It's definitely not crazy to develop a bond with hamsters! They are a part of your family.

Of all the different breeds of hamsters, female dwarf hamsters tend to be the ones who get along with each other the best.

However, once hamsters start to fight they usually need to be separated. It's hard to say why they just started fighting now.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. You may want to try getting a larger cage and making sure that there are several hiding spots in the cage so that they can have time apart when necessary.

Another option is to keep them in separate cages. This is probably the best option. Once hamsters start getting aggressive they can sometimes fight to the point of killing each other.

I hope things improve soon!

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17883 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (10594 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (11460 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (13168 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10288 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (6890 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16309 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (181593 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (10545 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (6379 views)