Summer shaving?

Breed: pomeranian
Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him cooler?

This is a controversial topic!

Personally I have no problem with shaving a dog's coat in the summer. However, if it is shaved really close then you have to worry about sunburn.

There are some people who will say that the coat needs to be kept long because it acts as insulation from the sun.

The truth is, that no one really knows what is best. But, I find that animals do seem to feel more comfortable when they are shaved.

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (20642 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (18044 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (18577 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (15496 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (19151 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (12526 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (16391 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (13514 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (21615 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (6634 views)