Lab gets into the garbage.

Breed: Labrador
Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year old (breeder became too ill to care for her dogs). She is very active, but not generally destructive. We have two kids (7 & 9) who play with her regularly, I take her running with me (5 miles, 2x per week), and we throw the ball with her for about 5 minutes at a time 2-3 times per day. Plus she plays with the lab next door (rough-housing) at least 1-3 times per day for about 5 minutes at a time.

She eats 2 cups of Purina One Large Breed dog food at dinner time, and I give her a bone stuffed with 4 tbsp peanut butter in the morning plus a treat ball with about 1 cup of food in it.

If I don't let her out when the kids are playing outside she whines and barks and generallly becomes so obnoxious that one of the kids finally let her out. They promise to watch her, but often forget. Then she sneaks off to knock over the neighbors' garbage cans and see what the neighborhood buffet has to offer. She makes a huge mess and the neighbors are understandable annoyed! They think she doesn't get enough exercise. Maybe extra walks would help, but I'm not sure. She does so much running already! What is the best way to solve this problem (other than making the kid who let her out clean up the garbage, we are already doing that!)

This is a tough problem that I likely can't solve with a quick answer!

But I do have a suggestion for you. You may want to look into a prescription food called Royal Canin Satiety food. This food has been shown to help dogs feel more full and really cuts down on the need to get into the garbage and eat other things around the house.

Related question: My dog eats too fast

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (15558 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (60196 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (5954 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (21084 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (24920 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (74270 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (7684 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (14268 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (61280 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (11421 views)