Lab gets into the garbage.

Breed: Labrador
Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year old (breeder became too ill to care for her dogs). She is very active, but not generally destructive. We have two kids (7 & 9) who play with her regularly, I take her running with me (5 miles, 2x per week), and we throw the ball with her for about 5 minutes at a time 2-3 times per day. Plus she plays with the lab next door (rough-housing) at least 1-3 times per day for about 5 minutes at a time.

She eats 2 cups of Purina One Large Breed dog food at dinner time, and I give her a bone stuffed with 4 tbsp peanut butter in the morning plus a treat ball with about 1 cup of food in it.

If I don't let her out when the kids are playing outside she whines and barks and generallly becomes so obnoxious that one of the kids finally let her out. They promise to watch her, but often forget. Then she sneaks off to knock over the neighbors' garbage cans and see what the neighborhood buffet has to offer. She makes a huge mess and the neighbors are understandable annoyed! They think she doesn't get enough exercise. Maybe extra walks would help, but I'm not sure. She does so much running already! What is the best way to solve this problem (other than making the kid who let her out clean up the garbage, we are already doing that!)

This is a tough problem that I likely can't solve with a quick answer!

But I do have a suggestion for you. You may want to look into a prescription food called Royal Canin Satiety food. This food has been shown to help dogs feel more full and really cuts down on the need to get into the garbage and eat other things around the house.

Related question: My dog eats too fast

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (12530 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (16156 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (29120 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (17604 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (19005 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12216 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (37825 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (63864 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (22140 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (6480 views)