Lab gets into the garbage.

Breed: Labrador
Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year old (breeder became too ill to care for her dogs). She is very active, but not generally destructive. We have two kids (7 & 9) who play with her regularly, I take her running with me (5 miles, 2x per week), and we throw the ball with her for about 5 minutes at a time 2-3 times per day. Plus she plays with the lab next door (rough-housing) at least 1-3 times per day for about 5 minutes at a time.

She eats 2 cups of Purina One Large Breed dog food at dinner time, and I give her a bone stuffed with 4 tbsp peanut butter in the morning plus a treat ball with about 1 cup of food in it.

If I don't let her out when the kids are playing outside she whines and barks and generallly becomes so obnoxious that one of the kids finally let her out. They promise to watch her, but often forget. Then she sneaks off to knock over the neighbors' garbage cans and see what the neighborhood buffet has to offer. She makes a huge mess and the neighbors are understandable annoyed! They think she doesn't get enough exercise. Maybe extra walks would help, but I'm not sure. She does so much running already! What is the best way to solve this problem (other than making the kid who let her out clean up the garbage, we are already doing that!)

This is a tough problem that I likely can't solve with a quick answer!

But I do have a suggestion for you. You may want to look into a prescription food called Royal Canin Satiety food. This food has been shown to help dogs feel more full and really cuts down on the need to get into the garbage and eat other things around the house.

Related question: My dog eats too fast

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (11172 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (16279 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (9987 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5084 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (28018 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (11104 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (5450 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (10714 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8790 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4448 views)