Lab gets into the garbage.

Breed: Labrador
Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year old (breeder became too ill to care for her dogs). She is very active, but not generally destructive. We have two kids (7 & 9) who play with her regularly, I take her running with me (5 miles, 2x per week), and we throw the ball with her for about 5 minutes at a time 2-3 times per day. Plus she plays with the lab next door (rough-housing) at least 1-3 times per day for about 5 minutes at a time.

She eats 2 cups of Purina One Large Breed dog food at dinner time, and I give her a bone stuffed with 4 tbsp peanut butter in the morning plus a treat ball with about 1 cup of food in it.

If I don't let her out when the kids are playing outside she whines and barks and generallly becomes so obnoxious that one of the kids finally let her out. They promise to watch her, but often forget. Then she sneaks off to knock over the neighbors' garbage cans and see what the neighborhood buffet has to offer. She makes a huge mess and the neighbors are understandable annoyed! They think she doesn't get enough exercise. Maybe extra walks would help, but I'm not sure. She does so much running already! What is the best way to solve this problem (other than making the kid who let her out clean up the garbage, we are already doing that!)

This is a tough problem that I likely can't solve with a quick answer!

But I do have a suggestion for you. You may want to look into a prescription food called Royal Canin Satiety food. This food has been shown to help dogs feel more full and really cuts down on the need to get into the garbage and eat other things around the house.

Related question: My dog eats too fast

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (9974 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (15226 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (43625 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (8662 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (8769 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (13021 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (33645 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (9221 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (12846 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (34888 views)