Lab gets into the garbage.

Breed: Labrador
Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year old (breeder became too ill to care for her dogs). She is very active, but not generally destructive. We have two kids (7 & 9) who play with her regularly, I take her running with me (5 miles, 2x per week), and we throw the ball with her for about 5 minutes at a time 2-3 times per day. Plus she plays with the lab next door (rough-housing) at least 1-3 times per day for about 5 minutes at a time.

She eats 2 cups of Purina One Large Breed dog food at dinner time, and I give her a bone stuffed with 4 tbsp peanut butter in the morning plus a treat ball with about 1 cup of food in it.

If I don't let her out when the kids are playing outside she whines and barks and generallly becomes so obnoxious that one of the kids finally let her out. They promise to watch her, but often forget. Then she sneaks off to knock over the neighbors' garbage cans and see what the neighborhood buffet has to offer. She makes a huge mess and the neighbors are understandable annoyed! They think she doesn't get enough exercise. Maybe extra walks would help, but I'm not sure. She does so much running already! What is the best way to solve this problem (other than making the kid who let her out clean up the garbage, we are already doing that!)

This is a tough problem that I likely can't solve with a quick answer!

But I do have a suggestion for you. You may want to look into a prescription food called Royal Canin Satiety food. This food has been shown to help dogs feel more full and really cuts down on the need to get into the garbage and eat other things around the house.

Related question: My dog eats too fast

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (11281 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (19258 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (11170 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (7544 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (60870 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (11817 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (19077 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (6220 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (33516 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (11263 views)