Brown spots on puppy's belly.

Breed: Whippet
Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area that has me concerned. It is brown in color with very small brown spots and almost looks as if some hair is trying to come into the area. She doesn't seem bothered by it. I haven't noticed any change in energy level or decrease in food intake. Since I've had her she has had 1-2 bumps that look like a pimple. It looks to have a little white head on it. Do you think any of this warrants a visit to my vet? I am going to send you a picture as I think it will help a lot in understanding what I am trying to describe. I appreciate your help and insight.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the spots on your puppy's belly:

spots on puppy belly

I have seen a lot of puppies that have a skin discoloration like this and it is rarely anything to worry about. I don't have an answer for you as far as what causes these spots but I can tell you that it is very unlikely to be the sign of a problem.

It's also not uncommon for puppies to get little pimples. This can be something called "puppy pyoderma". While pyoderma usually means a skin infection, puppies with puppy pyoderma do not actually have infection. The spots with puppy pyoderma generally are not itchy and go away on their own.

However, if there are spots that are obviously itchy or are oozing a yellow or green pus then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look. Otherwise I wouldn't be worried about this.

Thank you so much for your analysis. Very much appreciated!

Brett Salyer

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (27769 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (5045 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (5292 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (5979 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (23540 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (13135 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (4764 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (11079 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9591 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (22783 views)