Brown spots on puppy's belly.

Breed: Whippet
Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area that has me concerned. It is brown in color with very small brown spots and almost looks as if some hair is trying to come into the area. She doesn't seem bothered by it. I haven't noticed any change in energy level or decrease in food intake. Since I've had her she has had 1-2 bumps that look like a pimple. It looks to have a little white head on it. Do you think any of this warrants a visit to my vet? I am going to send you a picture as I think it will help a lot in understanding what I am trying to describe. I appreciate your help and insight.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the spots on your puppy's belly:

spots on puppy belly

I have seen a lot of puppies that have a skin discoloration like this and it is rarely anything to worry about. I don't have an answer for you as far as what causes these spots but I can tell you that it is very unlikely to be the sign of a problem.

It's also not uncommon for puppies to get little pimples. This can be something called "puppy pyoderma". While pyoderma usually means a skin infection, puppies with puppy pyoderma do not actually have infection. The spots with puppy pyoderma generally are not itchy and go away on their own.

However, if there are spots that are obviously itchy or are oozing a yellow or green pus then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look. Otherwise I wouldn't be worried about this.

Thank you so much for your analysis. Very much appreciated!

Brett Salyer

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (33725 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (14643 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (16210 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (6601 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (15170 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (9178 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (8229 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (23816 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (8950 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (7704 views)