Brown spots on puppy's belly.

Breed: Whippet
Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area that has me concerned. It is brown in color with very small brown spots and almost looks as if some hair is trying to come into the area. She doesn't seem bothered by it. I haven't noticed any change in energy level or decrease in food intake. Since I've had her she has had 1-2 bumps that look like a pimple. It looks to have a little white head on it. Do you think any of this warrants a visit to my vet? I am going to send you a picture as I think it will help a lot in understanding what I am trying to describe. I appreciate your help and insight.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the spots on your puppy's belly:

spots on puppy belly

I have seen a lot of puppies that have a skin discoloration like this and it is rarely anything to worry about. I don't have an answer for you as far as what causes these spots but I can tell you that it is very unlikely to be the sign of a problem.

It's also not uncommon for puppies to get little pimples. This can be something called "puppy pyoderma". While pyoderma usually means a skin infection, puppies with puppy pyoderma do not actually have infection. The spots with puppy pyoderma generally are not itchy and go away on their own.

However, if there are spots that are obviously itchy or are oozing a yellow or green pus then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look. Otherwise I wouldn't be worried about this.

Thank you so much for your analysis. Very much appreciated!

Brett Salyer

Cat urinalysis. Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! My cat DB had a Urinalysis (by... (6228 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (11062 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (28957 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (10442 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7601 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (14450 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13280 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9320 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (6494 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (17413 views)