Brown spots on puppy's belly.

Breed: Whippet
Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area that has me concerned. It is brown in color with very small brown spots and almost looks as if some hair is trying to come into the area. She doesn't seem bothered by it. I haven't noticed any change in energy level or decrease in food intake. Since I've had her she has had 1-2 bumps that look like a pimple. It looks to have a little white head on it. Do you think any of this warrants a visit to my vet? I am going to send you a picture as I think it will help a lot in understanding what I am trying to describe. I appreciate your help and insight.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the spots on your puppy's belly:

spots on puppy belly

I have seen a lot of puppies that have a skin discoloration like this and it is rarely anything to worry about. I don't have an answer for you as far as what causes these spots but I can tell you that it is very unlikely to be the sign of a problem.

It's also not uncommon for puppies to get little pimples. This can be something called "puppy pyoderma". While pyoderma usually means a skin infection, puppies with puppy pyoderma do not actually have infection. The spots with puppy pyoderma generally are not itchy and go away on their own.

However, if there are spots that are obviously itchy or are oozing a yellow or green pus then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look. Otherwise I wouldn't be worried about this.

Thank you so much for your analysis. Very much appreciated!

Brett Salyer

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (39491 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (13331 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8824 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (7271 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (20352 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (6249 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (12377 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (5555 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (7406 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (11309 views)