Brown spots on puppy's belly.

Breed: Whippet
Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area that has me concerned. It is brown in color with very small brown spots and almost looks as if some hair is trying to come into the area. She doesn't seem bothered by it. I haven't noticed any change in energy level or decrease in food intake. Since I've had her she has had 1-2 bumps that look like a pimple. It looks to have a little white head on it. Do you think any of this warrants a visit to my vet? I am going to send you a picture as I think it will help a lot in understanding what I am trying to describe. I appreciate your help and insight.

Thank you for sending me the excellent photo of the spots on your puppy's belly:

spots on puppy belly

I have seen a lot of puppies that have a skin discoloration like this and it is rarely anything to worry about. I don't have an answer for you as far as what causes these spots but I can tell you that it is very unlikely to be the sign of a problem.

It's also not uncommon for puppies to get little pimples. This can be something called "puppy pyoderma". While pyoderma usually means a skin infection, puppies with puppy pyoderma do not actually have infection. The spots with puppy pyoderma generally are not itchy and go away on their own.

However, if there are spots that are obviously itchy or are oozing a yellow or green pus then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look. Otherwise I wouldn't be worried about this.

Thank you so much for your analysis. Very much appreciated!

Brett Salyer

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (12775 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7303 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (14352 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (15581 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (6161 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15415 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (158622 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14098 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (6823 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (33686 views)