Cat pooping in the house.

Breed: maine coon cat
Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had her to the vet and they did battery of tests. She is healthy as a horse. The exception would be a higher heart rate and a slightly elevated thyroid level. Vet said that could be from nerves from being at vet. What could be the cause of this new behavior? Nothing at home has changed. She is an indoor cat. I can't take much more of this. HELP! Thank you.

Ah, this is a frustrating problem! Hopefully I can give you a few tips that may be able to help.

We often don't know why a cat will suddenly decide to poop outside of the box. There are a few possible reasons.

The first thing we look for are medical reasons. It sounds like you have had your vet do a good exam and blood tests. You may want to ask them if they think there is any possibility of something called lumbosacral syndrome. This is a condition where cats get some arthritis at the base of the spine. It can cause pain when they defecate.

As a result, some cats hold on to their poop for too long and then eventually go in the house somewhere. Or, some cats will make a mental connection that it hurt the last time they pooped in the litter box so they don't want to poop in the box again.

If your vet feels that this is not a medical problem then it may be behavioral. So, here are a few things that I suggest:

• Get rid of your litter box and replace it with at least 2 new ones. Even though you likely clean it regularly, the plastic can retain odors that our noses can't pick up.

• If you have more than one cat then you need to have at least one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

• Have a few different kinds of boxes - for example, one with a tall wall and one with a very short wall.

• You can experiment with different types of cat litter.

• If there is a specific area that she is using to defecate in, if possible restrict her access to this area.

• You can try putting pee pads down in several areas. Many times a cat will defecate on one of these. If so, then you can move the pad a little bit closer to the litter box area each day until eventually it is into the box. This may retrain her to use the box.

• Or, another thing you could do is to put a litter box in the room where she is pooping. Then, gradually move this box a few inches each day towards the appropriate spot.

• You may want to look into a product called Feliway which is a plug in diffuser that releases something called pheromones. Pheromones are chemicals that help cats to feel good. They relieve stress in cats. They often work well for cats who have inappropriate behavior like this.

• If none of these things are working you may want to ask your vet about using a medication called amitryptilline. This medication helps with anxiety in cats. Even though she may not seem anxious, many cats will have subtle anxiety and the only way they show us is by defecating where they shouldn't.

I hope these tips help!

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will try the new litter box and look into the plug in. I will also check with vet about medication as I have felt anxiety was possibly the problem. Thank you again. Angela

You're very welcome! Hope all goes well!

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (56367 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (13566 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5702 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (19354 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (12928 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (21029 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (27312 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (26150 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11606 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4411 views)