Swollen ankle on dog.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a swollen "ankle." I've noticed this before but it didn't seem to bother him. He would walk on it just fine. Now he's exercising (plays fetch) more often, up to twice a day. Today, I noticed he's limping. I've touched the "ankle" and he didn't give any indication of pain. Like I mentioned before, one "ankle" has always seemed larger than the other but he hasn't limped on it before. What might this be?

Hi Jorge. Thanks so much for your question!

It sounds like the joint you are describing is the hock joint. It's not terribly common to have swelling in this joint. There are a few possible reasons for it and often it can be hard to determine what the cause is.

In a young dog we worry about some kind of injury. It could be a sprain. If so, this usually resolves within a few weeks. However, it could be a severe ligament sprain which sometimes needs surgery.

Young labs can sometimes be prone to a condition called Osteochondrosis Dessicans (OCD) in which a chip of cartilage breaks off inside of the joint. This is more common in labs under 2, but still possible. OCD will occasionally get better on its own but often needs surgery.

It is also possible that there is an infection in the joint. It could be a bacterial or a fungal infection. These need prescription meds prescribed by the vet. Occasionally they need an injection into the joint in order to heal.

While we do sometimes see tumors affecting the joint these are not at all common in a dog this young.

If this were my case I would likely do some xrays to see if we can see evidence of a sprain or even a tiny fracture. If not, I would likely do a joint tap to look for infection.

While some sprains and strains can heal on their own, if this has been going on for a while a vet visit is a good idea. Until then, you can try applying an ice pack several times per day and limit his activity as much as possible.

I hope he does ok! If you have more concerns, just hit reply.

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (47264 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (15171 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (11880 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (14491 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (20577 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (7558 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (7507 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (7292 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (18589 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (8990 views)