Swollen ankle on dog.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a swollen "ankle." I've noticed this before but it didn't seem to bother him. He would walk on it just fine. Now he's exercising (plays fetch) more often, up to twice a day. Today, I noticed he's limping. I've touched the "ankle" and he didn't give any indication of pain. Like I mentioned before, one "ankle" has always seemed larger than the other but he hasn't limped on it before. What might this be?

Hi Jorge. Thanks so much for your question!

It sounds like the joint you are describing is the hock joint. It's not terribly common to have swelling in this joint. There are a few possible reasons for it and often it can be hard to determine what the cause is.

In a young dog we worry about some kind of injury. It could be a sprain. If so, this usually resolves within a few weeks. However, it could be a severe ligament sprain which sometimes needs surgery.

Young labs can sometimes be prone to a condition called Osteochondrosis Dessicans (OCD) in which a chip of cartilage breaks off inside of the joint. This is more common in labs under 2, but still possible. OCD will occasionally get better on its own but often needs surgery.

It is also possible that there is an infection in the joint. It could be a bacterial or a fungal infection. These need prescription meds prescribed by the vet. Occasionally they need an injection into the joint in order to heal.

While we do sometimes see tumors affecting the joint these are not at all common in a dog this young.

If this were my case I would likely do some xrays to see if we can see evidence of a sprain or even a tiny fracture. If not, I would likely do a joint tap to look for infection.

While some sprains and strains can heal on their own, if this has been going on for a while a vet visit is a good idea. Until then, you can try applying an ice pack several times per day and limit his activity as much as possible.

I hope he does ok! If you have more concerns, just hit reply.

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (43143 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (15100 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (31544 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (12221 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (8211 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (15876 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (13313 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (15681 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (12801 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16797 views)