Swollen ankle on dog.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a swollen "ankle." I've noticed this before but it didn't seem to bother him. He would walk on it just fine. Now he's exercising (plays fetch) more often, up to twice a day. Today, I noticed he's limping. I've touched the "ankle" and he didn't give any indication of pain. Like I mentioned before, one "ankle" has always seemed larger than the other but he hasn't limped on it before. What might this be?

Hi Jorge. Thanks so much for your question!

It sounds like the joint you are describing is the hock joint. It's not terribly common to have swelling in this joint. There are a few possible reasons for it and often it can be hard to determine what the cause is.

In a young dog we worry about some kind of injury. It could be a sprain. If so, this usually resolves within a few weeks. However, it could be a severe ligament sprain which sometimes needs surgery.

Young labs can sometimes be prone to a condition called Osteochondrosis Dessicans (OCD) in which a chip of cartilage breaks off inside of the joint. This is more common in labs under 2, but still possible. OCD will occasionally get better on its own but often needs surgery.

It is also possible that there is an infection in the joint. It could be a bacterial or a fungal infection. These need prescription meds prescribed by the vet. Occasionally they need an injection into the joint in order to heal.

While we do sometimes see tumors affecting the joint these are not at all common in a dog this young.

If this were my case I would likely do some xrays to see if we can see evidence of a sprain or even a tiny fracture. If not, I would likely do a joint tap to look for infection.

While some sprains and strains can heal on their own, if this has been going on for a while a vet visit is a good idea. Until then, you can try applying an ice pack several times per day and limit his activity as much as possible.

I hope he does ok! If you have more concerns, just hit reply.

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9589 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11733 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (10069 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11347 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (17356 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (15386 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (20578 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4544 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (44379 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15393 views)