Lip fold pyoderma.

Breed: Husky- shepherd mix
I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides of his lower lip. There is a discharge (blackish color) from the area but no swelling and doesn't appear to hurt or cause discomfort. Sometimes when he scratches he kind of whimpers but it didn't seem strange until I noticed the skin issue.
I can send a picture if needed. It is probably an inch and a half long (along the lip line) and about half an inch wide.

Blue is about 3-4 years old (he was a stray so we don't know for certain) neutered male and has all his shots up to date. We have other dogs and none of them has it.

If you have an idea what this could be and have a chance to reply it would be greatly appreciated. We have just spent $2000 on surgery for one of the other dogs so bringing in Blue for this is a financial obligation we would prefer to postpone if possible...

Although I can't say for sure what this is without seeing Blue, I am suspicious this may be something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection that usually occurs on the side of the lower lip.

This type of infection is usually quite uncomfortable. I usually treat them with a course of oral antibiotics and sometimes if the discomfort is a lot I will use steroids as well.

Once the infection is cleared up then I find that the best way to prevent these from happening is to use a baby wipe to clean the area after each meal that the dog has.

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (10183 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (36482 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (30650 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (8441 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (17555 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (10481 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (13119 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (7549 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (7619 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (11086 views)