Lip fold pyoderma.

Breed: Husky- shepherd mix
I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides of his lower lip. There is a discharge (blackish color) from the area but no swelling and doesn't appear to hurt or cause discomfort. Sometimes when he scratches he kind of whimpers but it didn't seem strange until I noticed the skin issue.
I can send a picture if needed. It is probably an inch and a half long (along the lip line) and about half an inch wide.

Blue is about 3-4 years old (he was a stray so we don't know for certain) neutered male and has all his shots up to date. We have other dogs and none of them has it.

If you have an idea what this could be and have a chance to reply it would be greatly appreciated. We have just spent $2000 on surgery for one of the other dogs so bringing in Blue for this is a financial obligation we would prefer to postpone if possible...

Although I can't say for sure what this is without seeing Blue, I am suspicious this may be something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection that usually occurs on the side of the lower lip.

This type of infection is usually quite uncomfortable. I usually treat them with a course of oral antibiotics and sometimes if the discomfort is a lot I will use steroids as well.

Once the infection is cleared up then I find that the best way to prevent these from happening is to use a baby wipe to clean the area after each meal that the dog has.

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (15778 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (12969 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (15964 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (20710 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (7460 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (8854 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (11584 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (64569 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (8004 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (11583 views)