Lip fold pyoderma.

Breed: Husky- shepherd mix
I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides of his lower lip. There is a discharge (blackish color) from the area but no swelling and doesn't appear to hurt or cause discomfort. Sometimes when he scratches he kind of whimpers but it didn't seem strange until I noticed the skin issue.
I can send a picture if needed. It is probably an inch and a half long (along the lip line) and about half an inch wide.

Blue is about 3-4 years old (he was a stray so we don't know for certain) neutered male and has all his shots up to date. We have other dogs and none of them has it.

If you have an idea what this could be and have a chance to reply it would be greatly appreciated. We have just spent $2000 on surgery for one of the other dogs so bringing in Blue for this is a financial obligation we would prefer to postpone if possible...

Although I can't say for sure what this is without seeing Blue, I am suspicious this may be something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection that usually occurs on the side of the lower lip.

This type of infection is usually quite uncomfortable. I usually treat them with a course of oral antibiotics and sometimes if the discomfort is a lot I will use steroids as well.

Once the infection is cleared up then I find that the best way to prevent these from happening is to use a baby wipe to clean the area after each meal that the dog has.

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4613 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (23527 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (21976 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (10829 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (75987 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (25861 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (9901 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (22702 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (216469 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (7563 views)