Lip fold pyoderma.

Breed: Husky- shepherd mix
I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides of his lower lip. There is a discharge (blackish color) from the area but no swelling and doesn't appear to hurt or cause discomfort. Sometimes when he scratches he kind of whimpers but it didn't seem strange until I noticed the skin issue.
I can send a picture if needed. It is probably an inch and a half long (along the lip line) and about half an inch wide.

Blue is about 3-4 years old (he was a stray so we don't know for certain) neutered male and has all his shots up to date. We have other dogs and none of them has it.

If you have an idea what this could be and have a chance to reply it would be greatly appreciated. We have just spent $2000 on surgery for one of the other dogs so bringing in Blue for this is a financial obligation we would prefer to postpone if possible...

Although I can't say for sure what this is without seeing Blue, I am suspicious this may be something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection that usually occurs on the side of the lower lip.

This type of infection is usually quite uncomfortable. I usually treat them with a course of oral antibiotics and sometimes if the discomfort is a lot I will use steroids as well.

Once the infection is cleared up then I find that the best way to prevent these from happening is to use a baby wipe to clean the area after each meal that the dog has.

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (9367 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (9932 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (16881 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20585 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (6129 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (192681 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (15709 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (15005 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8147 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (29222 views)