Lip fold pyoderma.

Breed: Husky- shepherd mix
I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides of his lower lip. There is a discharge (blackish color) from the area but no swelling and doesn't appear to hurt or cause discomfort. Sometimes when he scratches he kind of whimpers but it didn't seem strange until I noticed the skin issue.
I can send a picture if needed. It is probably an inch and a half long (along the lip line) and about half an inch wide.

Blue is about 3-4 years old (he was a stray so we don't know for certain) neutered male and has all his shots up to date. We have other dogs and none of them has it.

If you have an idea what this could be and have a chance to reply it would be greatly appreciated. We have just spent $2000 on surgery for one of the other dogs so bringing in Blue for this is a financial obligation we would prefer to postpone if possible...

Although I can't say for sure what this is without seeing Blue, I am suspicious this may be something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection that usually occurs on the side of the lower lip.

This type of infection is usually quite uncomfortable. I usually treat them with a course of oral antibiotics and sometimes if the discomfort is a lot I will use steroids as well.

Once the infection is cleared up then I find that the best way to prevent these from happening is to use a baby wipe to clean the area after each meal that the dog has.

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (22733 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (7770 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (4901 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (10708 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (11612 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (13581 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (27360 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (9325 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7958 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (42780 views)