Puppy and adult dog vomiting.

Breed: AUSSIE
Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite and thirst, depression. He had played with a dead mole in the yard and our vet thought he probably got a stomach bug from that. He was given antibacterial meds and nausea meds but improved only slightly. No fever. Blood draw showed most things in the range of normal, no blood parasited, slightly elevated WBC. Then our 4 month old aussie vomited after dinner and again the next night. She has not lost appetite or thirst but is depressed and inactive. She is MDR1 positive so I'm hesitant to give her the tylan prescribed and would really like to know what this could be, or what they should be tested for. Her stools have been firm, and both dogs are current on vaccinations.

I'm sorry to hear that both of your dogs are not feeling well.

I do get fairly concerned any time that a puppy is depressed and inactive.

The fact that both are up to date on vaccinations is very good. My first thought was that this could be parvo virus. It still is possible that it is some type of a viral disease but we don't see a lot of stomach flus in dogs.

Do they eat any of the same type of treats? There have been recalls lately involving chicken jerky treats. Some of these have had salmonella contamination. And there are still some on the market that have not been recalled and yet some dogs are getting very sick. If you have fed them chicken jerky treats at all then I would mention this to your vet.

What about food? Do they share any food at all? If so, are you near the end of the bag or at the beginning? If this is the case then mold in the food could be a possibility.

A parasite still is a possibility even if the fecal tests were negative. Giardia is a parasite that doesn't always turn up well on fecal exams. If this were my case I would likely be prescribing a medication such as metronidazole which is usually good for Giardia just in case.

It is also possible that there is something completely different going on with the puppy as well.

Any time that a puppy is unwell I recommend a vet visit mostly because their little bodies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration. If Gem is really lethargic then it sounds like you may need to have her looked at.

I wish I could give you more specific advice. Hopefully this has helped, but let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you. They do not share the same type of food or treats, no chicken jerky treats for either. They are both in the middle/end of their bag of food, not a new bag. The blood test was what showed no parasites....

Sounds like I may need to take them to a different vet than the one they've seen already. I thank you for your answer.

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (11080 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (6065 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (5862 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (22424 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (8234 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (14198 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (7191 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (6265 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (14568 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (10556 views)