Diarrhea and pain.

Breed: Sheltie
My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've figured it might have been because I had to get a different flavor of her dog food this week because they were out of the regular; but this afternoon she's been favoring her back foot, making it difficult for her to walk. It was out of the blue because she was playing with our other 2 dogs just a couple of hours earlier. I took her outside, she had a diarrhea episode again, and when she tried to walk up our steps, she fell on the first step and couldn't lift her backside. She's not whining or whimpering like she's in pain, but she's not able to put much pressure on her backside. She looks lethargic, and like somethings not right, which it isn't. Not sure if it's her leg, a pinched nerve or something to do with her diarrhea. Do you have any thoughts? It's Saturday so I was hesitant to call my vet unless it's serious. I'm just trying to evaluate her symptoms..
Thanks, Derek / North Platte, Nebraska

Hi Derek and thanks for your question.

Changing the flavor of food can certainly cause diarrhea, but obviously shouldn't cause the problem with her leg.

I'm a little bit concerned about the fact that she had trouble lifting her backside. This may mean that there is a problem with her back such as a problem with an intervertebral disc.

Or, another possibility is if she has had an injury to her pelvis. Usually for this to happen there would have to be some sort of significant trauma like being hit by a vehicle.

It's hard to say whether there is a connection to the diarrhea. It's possible that she is stressed because of the back end injury and this caused the diarrhea. However, as she had diarrhea for a couple of days first, I think the two problems are not related.

So, the next question is whether she needs to go to see a vet on an emergency basis. This is always hard to say without seeing her, so here are some things that may help with your decision:

-Does it seem like she is having significant difficulty whenever she tries to walk? If so, then this is definitely painful. Dogs will do all they can to hide their pain.

-How is her appetite? If she is not wanting to eat then this is a sign of pain and she should be seen sooner.

-Are her back feet knuckling at all? By this, I mean that if you knuckle her foot so that the tops of her toes are touching the ground, does she immediately place it back? If not, this can be a sign of a serious back problem and an emergency visit is definitely necessary.

Unfortunately I don't usually recommend giving anything over the counter to help with pain until we know the cause as sometimes we can do more harm than good.

I wish I could help you more with this decision! I'd love it if you could let me know how things work out.

I will be going offline for a few hours as I am heading out to a family barbecue, but if you have more concerns I will answer them when I check in tonight.

Hope everything is ok!

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm going to watch her for awhile and just evaluate some more. It's obvious she doesn't feel very good, but yeah it would seem to be 2 different issues, but she's been in the house most of the day other than to go to the bathroom, so it's just baffling to me. I'll sure let you know what I find out.

Thank You,

Sounds like a good plan. I hope she is feeling better soon!

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (8630 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (42694 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9944 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (120972 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (12661 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4894 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7558 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (9327 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (30909 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (14625 views)