Diarrhea and pain.

Breed: Sheltie
My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've figured it might have been because I had to get a different flavor of her dog food this week because they were out of the regular; but this afternoon she's been favoring her back foot, making it difficult for her to walk. It was out of the blue because she was playing with our other 2 dogs just a couple of hours earlier. I took her outside, she had a diarrhea episode again, and when she tried to walk up our steps, she fell on the first step and couldn't lift her backside. She's not whining or whimpering like she's in pain, but she's not able to put much pressure on her backside. She looks lethargic, and like somethings not right, which it isn't. Not sure if it's her leg, a pinched nerve or something to do with her diarrhea. Do you have any thoughts? It's Saturday so I was hesitant to call my vet unless it's serious. I'm just trying to evaluate her symptoms..
Thanks, Derek / North Platte, Nebraska

Hi Derek and thanks for your question.

Changing the flavor of food can certainly cause diarrhea, but obviously shouldn't cause the problem with her leg.

I'm a little bit concerned about the fact that she had trouble lifting her backside. This may mean that there is a problem with her back such as a problem with an intervertebral disc.

Or, another possibility is if she has had an injury to her pelvis. Usually for this to happen there would have to be some sort of significant trauma like being hit by a vehicle.

It's hard to say whether there is a connection to the diarrhea. It's possible that she is stressed because of the back end injury and this caused the diarrhea. However, as she had diarrhea for a couple of days first, I think the two problems are not related.

So, the next question is whether she needs to go to see a vet on an emergency basis. This is always hard to say without seeing her, so here are some things that may help with your decision:

-Does it seem like she is having significant difficulty whenever she tries to walk? If so, then this is definitely painful. Dogs will do all they can to hide their pain.

-How is her appetite? If she is not wanting to eat then this is a sign of pain and she should be seen sooner.

-Are her back feet knuckling at all? By this, I mean that if you knuckle her foot so that the tops of her toes are touching the ground, does she immediately place it back? If not, this can be a sign of a serious back problem and an emergency visit is definitely necessary.

Unfortunately I don't usually recommend giving anything over the counter to help with pain until we know the cause as sometimes we can do more harm than good.

I wish I could help you more with this decision! I'd love it if you could let me know how things work out.

I will be going offline for a few hours as I am heading out to a family barbecue, but if you have more concerns I will answer them when I check in tonight.

Hope everything is ok!

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm going to watch her for awhile and just evaluate some more. It's obvious she doesn't feel very good, but yeah it would seem to be 2 different issues, but she's been in the house most of the day other than to go to the bathroom, so it's just baffling to me. I'll sure let you know what I find out.

Thank You,

Sounds like a good plan. I hope she is feeling better soon!

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6320 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (19679 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16002 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (87897 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (7931 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (11823 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14355 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (7688 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (18129 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (4732 views)