Lump on Rottweiler's leg.

Breed: Rottweiler
Dear Dr Marie

Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy patch - resemble a ten cent coin) on his limb. Could he has contracted cancer? I m extremely worried about his condition.

Thanks
Pauline

Hi Pauline and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps online without seeing the dog, but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

If this is a flat, slightly raised spot it is possible that it is simply an area of infection, or some type of a wound. If this is the case it may get better on its own, or it may need antibiotics in order to clear up.

We do see a number of skin lumps that can affect dogs. Some are far more serious than others. It is possible it is a benign lump. Usually malignant lumps are just ugly looking - inflamed and purple but not always.

This is a situation where I would highly advise a vet visit. Any time there is a lump on the leg, if I am worried about cancer then I want to see it as soon as possible. If it gets too big it may be hard to operate on.

I really hope everything is ok!

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (13274 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (13286 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (28851 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (11429 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (10266 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (59028 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (11019 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (25478 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (41564 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (27339 views)