Lump on Rottweiler's leg.

Breed: Rottweiler
Dear Dr Marie

Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy patch - resemble a ten cent coin) on his limb. Could he has contracted cancer? I m extremely worried about his condition.

Thanks
Pauline

Hi Pauline and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps online without seeing the dog, but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

If this is a flat, slightly raised spot it is possible that it is simply an area of infection, or some type of a wound. If this is the case it may get better on its own, or it may need antibiotics in order to clear up.

We do see a number of skin lumps that can affect dogs. Some are far more serious than others. It is possible it is a benign lump. Usually malignant lumps are just ugly looking - inflamed and purple but not always.

This is a situation where I would highly advise a vet visit. Any time there is a lump on the leg, if I am worried about cancer then I want to see it as soon as possible. If it gets too big it may be hard to operate on.

I really hope everything is ok!

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (16686 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (42203 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (13946 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (6528 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (34676 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (6605 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (5919 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (8927 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (18258 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (10594 views)