Lump on Rottweiler's leg.

Breed: Rottweiler
Dear Dr Marie

Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy patch - resemble a ten cent coin) on his limb. Could he has contracted cancer? I m extremely worried about his condition.

Thanks
Pauline

Hi Pauline and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps online without seeing the dog, but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

If this is a flat, slightly raised spot it is possible that it is simply an area of infection, or some type of a wound. If this is the case it may get better on its own, or it may need antibiotics in order to clear up.

We do see a number of skin lumps that can affect dogs. Some are far more serious than others. It is possible it is a benign lump. Usually malignant lumps are just ugly looking - inflamed and purple but not always.

This is a situation where I would highly advise a vet visit. Any time there is a lump on the leg, if I am worried about cancer then I want to see it as soon as possible. If it gets too big it may be hard to operate on.

I really hope everything is ok!

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (21408 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (9505 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6384 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (15675 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (62691 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (21852 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8732 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (13593 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5182 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (34017 views)