Lump on Rottweiler's leg.

Breed: Rottweiler
Dear Dr Marie

Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy patch - resemble a ten cent coin) on his limb. Could he has contracted cancer? I m extremely worried about his condition.

Thanks
Pauline

Hi Pauline and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps online without seeing the dog, but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

If this is a flat, slightly raised spot it is possible that it is simply an area of infection, or some type of a wound. If this is the case it may get better on its own, or it may need antibiotics in order to clear up.

We do see a number of skin lumps that can affect dogs. Some are far more serious than others. It is possible it is a benign lump. Usually malignant lumps are just ugly looking - inflamed and purple but not always.

This is a situation where I would highly advise a vet visit. Any time there is a lump on the leg, if I am worried about cancer then I want to see it as soon as possible. If it gets too big it may be hard to operate on.

I really hope everything is ok!

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (26670 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (15466 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (6645 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (26515 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (12780 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (20948 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (11954 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (61427 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (9840 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (14340 views)