Lump on Rottweiler's leg.

Breed: Rottweiler
Dear Dr Marie

Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy patch - resemble a ten cent coin) on his limb. Could he has contracted cancer? I m extremely worried about his condition.

Thanks
Pauline

Hi Pauline and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps online without seeing the dog, but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

If this is a flat, slightly raised spot it is possible that it is simply an area of infection, or some type of a wound. If this is the case it may get better on its own, or it may need antibiotics in order to clear up.

We do see a number of skin lumps that can affect dogs. Some are far more serious than others. It is possible it is a benign lump. Usually malignant lumps are just ugly looking - inflamed and purple but not always.

This is a situation where I would highly advise a vet visit. Any time there is a lump on the leg, if I am worried about cancer then I want to see it as soon as possible. If it gets too big it may be hard to operate on.

I really hope everything is ok!

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (15764 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (7634 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (80605 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (7382 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (11040 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (21826 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (133897 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (12232 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (9979 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (19480 views)