Lump on Rottweiler's leg.

Breed: Rottweiler
Dear Dr Marie

Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy patch - resemble a ten cent coin) on his limb. Could he has contracted cancer? I m extremely worried about his condition.

Thanks
Pauline

Hi Pauline and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps online without seeing the dog, but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

If this is a flat, slightly raised spot it is possible that it is simply an area of infection, or some type of a wound. If this is the case it may get better on its own, or it may need antibiotics in order to clear up.

We do see a number of skin lumps that can affect dogs. Some are far more serious than others. It is possible it is a benign lump. Usually malignant lumps are just ugly looking - inflamed and purple but not always.

This is a situation where I would highly advise a vet visit. Any time there is a lump on the leg, if I am worried about cancer then I want to see it as soon as possible. If it gets too big it may be hard to operate on.

I really hope everything is ok!

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (12557 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (25948 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (27484 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (10537 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (39787 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (19046 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (19928 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (8362 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (6986 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (20025 views)