Lump on Rottweiler's leg.

Breed: Rottweiler
Dear Dr Marie

Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy patch - resemble a ten cent coin) on his limb. Could he has contracted cancer? I m extremely worried about his condition.

Thanks
Pauline

Hi Pauline and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps online without seeing the dog, but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

If this is a flat, slightly raised spot it is possible that it is simply an area of infection, or some type of a wound. If this is the case it may get better on its own, or it may need antibiotics in order to clear up.

We do see a number of skin lumps that can affect dogs. Some are far more serious than others. It is possible it is a benign lump. Usually malignant lumps are just ugly looking - inflamed and purple but not always.

This is a situation where I would highly advise a vet visit. Any time there is a lump on the leg, if I am worried about cancer then I want to see it as soon as possible. If it gets too big it may be hard to operate on.

I really hope everything is ok!

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6458 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (14758 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (16712 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (14717 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7006 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (10501 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (5679 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (9634 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (56772 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (73364 views)