Dog's eye is closed.

Breed: cavalier king charle
My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was shaking his toy around he ran into the corner of a wooden post. He gave it a good knock but he just seemed to shake his head and walked off.
An hour later we noticed that his left eye is red and he keeps shutting it.
I've tried ringing my local vet (and others) but they are closed (being xmas holidays).

I think his eye my be abit swallon from the knock as I don't think he has something in his eye as I think he would be scratching his eye if there was something in it. I have him in his bed just resting at the moment.

Do I put a cold press on his eye or just leave it? The vets arn't open until the 2nd of jan so in 2 days time so I will get him checked out then I'm just not sure what to do in the interim?

My dog is 11 months of age

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Sorry to hear that your dog may have hurt himself! This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine him as there could be a few possibilities.

It certainly is possible that he has just bruised himself and that it will take a day or two for the swelling to go down. But, I do get concerned when I see a dog keeping their eye closed. My concern is that there could be a scratch on the eye. A corneal scratch is a serious thing. You won't always see a dog scratching at the eye if there is a scratch there. Closing the eye is enough evidence that it is bothersome.

At this point, if you have not seen significant improvement then I would highly recommend having an emergency visit if you can get one. While it is possible that there is nothing serious going on, if there is actually a scratch there then it needs to be addressed very quickly.

If things seem to have improved somewhat since you posted your question then there is no harm in putting a cold compress (i.e. frozen peas) on the side of the eye if he will allow it. This will help with swelling. But, if there has been no improvement then it's best to be safe than sorry and have a vet take a look.

Hope things are ok!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (5533 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (25502 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (5766 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (5549 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (6051 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (10304 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (10182 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (7390 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (10943 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (47655 views)