Fecal incontinence.

Breed: Pug
My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was diagnosed with arthritis at around 9 years. His regular vet has said his luxating patella is so bad that it works. In other words, the kneecap no longer pops out of the socket and he doesn't show signs of pain there. His back leg muscles are flaccid and we've not been able to build muscle despite exercise. For the past few months, he has been defecating in the house. The frequency of this has increased in the past month or so. It seems to happen during exercise or periods of excitement. He does not whine or cry and the stool is normal and firm. He no longer signals to us that he needs to go outside, so we try to take him out several times per day. Given this information, do you believe it is likely that his fecal incontinence is the result of pain?

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having these problems. This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine To eu, but I'll give you my thoughts.

I have seen dogs who have housetraining issues because of pain. My thought is that if it hurts to get into the position they need to take to defecate then the dog will hold the stool for too long and then eventually it can get to the point where it just escapes out because too much stool is there.

There are other possible reasons though. If something is affecting the nerves to the anal area this can cause difficulties with keeping stool in as well. I am guessing that this is more likely. Some causes could be arthritis in the spine or even a tumor in the spine (although a tumor is not common.) Pugs can sometimes get something called cauda equina syndrome which is a problem at the very end of the spinal column and it can affect the nerves to the anus. While there are some treatments that sometimes can help a little, they are not always effective. *If* this is the problem, sometimes a spinal surgery can be helpful.

Another possibility is a condition called degenerative myelopathy. This is much more common in German Shepherd dogs, but it can potentially affect little dogs.

If this were my case I would likely be trying him on anti-inflammatory medications to see if this helps at all. I probably would want to be taking some spinal xrays just to see if I could find evidence of a problem.

It probably is a good idea to have your vet take a look at him.

If it is cauda equina, can you give me a very rough estimate of treatment costs?

If he was in pain, would it keep him from walking or would his mobility otherwise be normal?.Are there any other symptoms I should look out for if it is Cauda Equina?

If this was something that could be treated with spinal surgery it would be very expensive. In my area, such a surgery could be $4000-$6000.

It's really hard to answer the question about pain because there are varying degrees of pain. He may or may not be able to walk properly but I would expect that if there is some pain there would be *some* kind of change in his ability to walk.

The symptoms of Cauda equina are very similar to other spinal issues so it is really hard to say what to look out for. An xray may be helpful here.

Well, I appreciate your help. Thank you for your time.

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (12637 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (12238 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (11988 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (36981 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (9600 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (23644 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (11197 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (16949 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (13209 views)

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (12358 views)