Fecal incontinence.

Breed: Pug
My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was diagnosed with arthritis at around 9 years. His regular vet has said his luxating patella is so bad that it works. In other words, the kneecap no longer pops out of the socket and he doesn't show signs of pain there. His back leg muscles are flaccid and we've not been able to build muscle despite exercise. For the past few months, he has been defecating in the house. The frequency of this has increased in the past month or so. It seems to happen during exercise or periods of excitement. He does not whine or cry and the stool is normal and firm. He no longer signals to us that he needs to go outside, so we try to take him out several times per day. Given this information, do you believe it is likely that his fecal incontinence is the result of pain?

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having these problems. This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine To eu, but I'll give you my thoughts.

I have seen dogs who have housetraining issues because of pain. My thought is that if it hurts to get into the position they need to take to defecate then the dog will hold the stool for too long and then eventually it can get to the point where it just escapes out because too much stool is there.

There are other possible reasons though. If something is affecting the nerves to the anal area this can cause difficulties with keeping stool in as well. I am guessing that this is more likely. Some causes could be arthritis in the spine or even a tumor in the spine (although a tumor is not common.) Pugs can sometimes get something called cauda equina syndrome which is a problem at the very end of the spinal column and it can affect the nerves to the anus. While there are some treatments that sometimes can help a little, they are not always effective. *If* this is the problem, sometimes a spinal surgery can be helpful.

Another possibility is a condition called degenerative myelopathy. This is much more common in German Shepherd dogs, but it can potentially affect little dogs.

If this were my case I would likely be trying him on anti-inflammatory medications to see if this helps at all. I probably would want to be taking some spinal xrays just to see if I could find evidence of a problem.

It probably is a good idea to have your vet take a look at him.

If it is cauda equina, can you give me a very rough estimate of treatment costs?

If he was in pain, would it keep him from walking or would his mobility otherwise be normal?.Are there any other symptoms I should look out for if it is Cauda Equina?

If this was something that could be treated with spinal surgery it would be very expensive. In my area, such a surgery could be $4000-$6000.

It's really hard to answer the question about pain because there are varying degrees of pain. He may or may not be able to walk properly but I would expect that if there is some pain there would be *some* kind of change in his ability to walk.

The symptoms of Cauda equina are very similar to other spinal issues so it is really hard to say what to look out for. An xray may be helpful here.

Well, I appreciate your help. Thank you for your time.

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5451 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (50037 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (25560 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10496 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7172 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (12951 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10249 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (11234 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (6339 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (85048 views)