Black bumps in cat's ear.

Breed: short hair cat
My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in their ears. They are blackish grey growths. My friend can't afford to do surgery, even if that is an option. I feel bad for the cats, because they seem to bother them. They will sometimes scratch and rub on their ears, so I think they must itch. I took a picture and am going to email it to you.
I was wondering if you might have any suggestions for her.

Thanks for the great picture of these black bumps in your friend's cats' ears:

black bumps in cat's ear

Have these been diagnosed as melanomas? Because they look much more like something called ceruminous cysts.

Ceruminous cysts can appear in cats when there are chronic ear problems. If I had a client who had several cats in one household that had ceruminous cysts then I would wonder if ear mites were present because this would be a contagious reason for chronic ear problems. The chronic irritation in the ear can lead to these cysts.

Sometimes ceruminous cysts can be treated with a prescription steroid medication in the ear but sometimes they do need surgery to go away.

There are other things that could cause lesions like this such as certain types of cancers but it would be extremely unusual to see this in three cats at one time.

I would highly advise that at least one cat sees the vet and gets checked for ear mites. If they have chronic ear mites then it may be necessary to use a prescription strength ear mite product on every cat in the house otherwise they will keep passing the mites to each other.

The vet can decide whether steroids may help the ear as well.

I hope things improve soon!

Thank you so much for your reply.
Her cats do not have ear mites. My friend said that she had had her cats to a vet and he said melanoma. He did not do any tests, so maybe it was just a guess. I told her about your reply regarding ceruminous cysts and I just googled it. http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/index.php/Ceruminous_adenoma
The picture on this link does look like the growths in her cats ears.
As I had said, she cannot afford surgery, she is on disability, so I am not sure if she will proceed with anything. I guess I was hoping there might be something topical (maybe a numbing affect) or maybe a shot that could be given to them to ease the discomfort/itchiness.
Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks again!
Peggy

I'm not sure what else I can suggest. A topical steroid may help but this would need to be prescribed by a vet.

I wish I could add more!

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (22740 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (16549 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (20301 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (15237 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (10896 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (50210 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14837 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (8069 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (40899 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (8329 views)