Black bumps in cat's ear.

Breed: short hair cat
My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in their ears. They are blackish grey growths. My friend can't afford to do surgery, even if that is an option. I feel bad for the cats, because they seem to bother them. They will sometimes scratch and rub on their ears, so I think they must itch. I took a picture and am going to email it to you.
I was wondering if you might have any suggestions for her.

Thanks for the great picture of these black bumps in your friend's cats' ears:

black bumps in cat's ear

Have these been diagnosed as melanomas? Because they look much more like something called ceruminous cysts.

Ceruminous cysts can appear in cats when there are chronic ear problems. If I had a client who had several cats in one household that had ceruminous cysts then I would wonder if ear mites were present because this would be a contagious reason for chronic ear problems. The chronic irritation in the ear can lead to these cysts.

Sometimes ceruminous cysts can be treated with a prescription steroid medication in the ear but sometimes they do need surgery to go away.

There are other things that could cause lesions like this such as certain types of cancers but it would be extremely unusual to see this in three cats at one time.

I would highly advise that at least one cat sees the vet and gets checked for ear mites. If they have chronic ear mites then it may be necessary to use a prescription strength ear mite product on every cat in the house otherwise they will keep passing the mites to each other.

The vet can decide whether steroids may help the ear as well.

I hope things improve soon!

Thank you so much for your reply.
Her cats do not have ear mites. My friend said that she had had her cats to a vet and he said melanoma. He did not do any tests, so maybe it was just a guess. I told her about your reply regarding ceruminous cysts and I just googled it. http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/index.php/Ceruminous_adenoma
The picture on this link does look like the growths in her cats ears.
As I had said, she cannot afford surgery, she is on disability, so I am not sure if she will proceed with anything. I guess I was hoping there might be something topical (maybe a numbing affect) or maybe a shot that could be given to them to ease the discomfort/itchiness.
Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks again!
Peggy

I'm not sure what else I can suggest. A topical steroid may help but this would need to be prescribed by a vet.

I wish I could add more!

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (7607 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (4340 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (8694 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6007 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (62324 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (17363 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (17193 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (9438 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (18516 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7046 views)