Black bumps in cat's ear.

Breed: short hair cat
My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in their ears. They are blackish grey growths. My friend can't afford to do surgery, even if that is an option. I feel bad for the cats, because they seem to bother them. They will sometimes scratch and rub on their ears, so I think they must itch. I took a picture and am going to email it to you.
I was wondering if you might have any suggestions for her.

Thanks for the great picture of these black bumps in your friend's cats' ears:

black bumps in cat's ear

Have these been diagnosed as melanomas? Because they look much more like something called ceruminous cysts.

Ceruminous cysts can appear in cats when there are chronic ear problems. If I had a client who had several cats in one household that had ceruminous cysts then I would wonder if ear mites were present because this would be a contagious reason for chronic ear problems. The chronic irritation in the ear can lead to these cysts.

Sometimes ceruminous cysts can be treated with a prescription steroid medication in the ear but sometimes they do need surgery to go away.

There are other things that could cause lesions like this such as certain types of cancers but it would be extremely unusual to see this in three cats at one time.

I would highly advise that at least one cat sees the vet and gets checked for ear mites. If they have chronic ear mites then it may be necessary to use a prescription strength ear mite product on every cat in the house otherwise they will keep passing the mites to each other.

The vet can decide whether steroids may help the ear as well.

I hope things improve soon!

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Thank you so much for your reply.
Her cats do not have ear mites. My friend said that she had had her cats to a vet and he said melanoma. He did not do any tests, so maybe it was just a guess. I told her about your reply regarding ceruminous cysts and I just googled it.
The picture on this link does look like the growths in her cats ears.
As I had said, she cannot afford surgery, she is on disability, so I am not sure if she will proceed with anything. I guess I was hoping there might be something topical (maybe a numbing affect) or maybe a shot that could be given to them to ease the discomfort/itchiness.
Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks again!

I'm not sure what else I can suggest. A topical steroid may help but this would need to be prescribed by a vet.

I wish I could add more!

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (6251 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (9241 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (9084 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (5899 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (5266 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (11947 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (39391 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (12365 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (5486 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (14144 views)