Cerenia and FIP.

Breed: dlh tortie
Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It appears to be mutating into FIP :( Yesterday she had an ultrasound done and the results showed that she had inflamation around the fat in her abdomen. My vet perscribed Cernia for her. Initially I was told that she would prescribe a anti-inflamatory/steriod/antibiotic and pain reliver. Upon reading how Cernia benefits a cat, it says that it treats vomiting in animals. Holly isn't vomiting, I did not tell my vet that she was either.My vet gave me 4 pills, one for each day, she said we would stop after four days, wait two days and prescribe again. My question is, how is Cernia going to help with the inflamation in her abdomen?I have not read anything that it helps with inflamation. I would appreciate receiving an explanation as to how this medicine will help or benefit Holly. Thanks for your help.

Hi and thanks for your question. I'm so sorry to hear that your vet is suspecting FIP for Holly.

I'm really not sure why Cerenia would be prescribed. It really wouldn't do anything for inflammation.

If Holly has a poor appetite, it is possible that the Cerenia could help. It is for nausea and even if a cat is not vomiting they can still be nauseous.

It's not a bad idea to give your vet's office a call and ask if they can explain why the medication was prescribed. It's possible that there is an alternate use of Cerenia that I am not aware of. Or, it's possible that there was a mistake. The dosing of once a day for 4 days sounds normal for Cerenia, but I can't see how this would be beneficial for FIP unless there was nausea present.

Let me know what they say.

Hi Dr, Marie, thanks for responding, I did call my vet and asked again the purpose of prescribing Cerina. She said that Cerina has several uses and helping with the inflamation was one of them, and that more and more is being learned about the benefits of Cerina. I am confused since I have not found anywhere that says it helps with that. The important thing I suppose, is that Holly's appetite is coming back. I do have another question, I keep a supply of amoxicillian, (still in powder form) for Holly, it seems to be the only thing that makes her feel better or helps when she has diarrhea, can I give her the Cerina and amoxicillian? I know amoxicillian isn't for the inflamation, but she always seems to be doing better when on it for about 2 days. I never give her the antibiotic for the 2 weeks. Just till she seems like she is doing better.I appreciate your help, I too am very sad to learn that although the Corona virus doesn't usually mutate into FIP, it seems to be with my Holly. Thanks, Lissa

It certainly is possible that new uses of Cerenia are being discovered. I am currently on maternity leave and have not been in the office for the last year so it is possible that there is new information that I don't have. With that being said, if Holly was off of her food then Cerenia certainly was indicated as it can help with nausea. There can be nausea present even if there is no vomiting.

Regarding the amoxicillin, you definitely would not want to do this. Giving antibiotics sporadically or just because they may help can actually be quite dangerous and can promote antibiotic resistance in the world. There really is no indication for amoxicillin that I can see here.

If Holly seems to have diarrhea that is responsive to amoxicillin you may want to ask your vet if a short course of a drug called metronidazole may be helpful. This is an antibiotic with properties that help with intestinal inflammation. We don't tend to see as much resistance with metronidazole and I am more comfortable using it for short stints where it seems to help.

Hope things continue to improve!

Congratulations on the baby. It is good you can spend some quality time with your new one. I have used the metronidazole before, and as you already know everyone HATES it!!! She drools profusely when given the metronidazole. I don't use the amoxicillian often, probably not even once a month. But thanks for the feedback on it. I certainly don't want to make things worse for her, life is tough enough for her. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Lissa

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (7206 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (8673 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (5748 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (7860 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (13789 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (4323 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (50108 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (8605 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (8979 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (28575 views)