Cerenia and FIP.

Breed: dlh tortie
Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It appears to be mutating into FIP :( Yesterday she had an ultrasound done and the results showed that she had inflamation around the fat in her abdomen. My vet perscribed Cernia for her. Initially I was told that she would prescribe a anti-inflamatory/steriod/antibiotic and pain reliver. Upon reading how Cernia benefits a cat, it says that it treats vomiting in animals. Holly isn't vomiting, I did not tell my vet that she was either.My vet gave me 4 pills, one for each day, she said we would stop after four days, wait two days and prescribe again. My question is, how is Cernia going to help with the inflamation in her abdomen?I have not read anything that it helps with inflamation. I would appreciate receiving an explanation as to how this medicine will help or benefit Holly. Thanks for your help.

Hi and thanks for your question. I'm so sorry to hear that your vet is suspecting FIP for Holly.

I'm really not sure why Cerenia would be prescribed. It really wouldn't do anything for inflammation.

If Holly has a poor appetite, it is possible that the Cerenia could help. It is for nausea and even if a cat is not vomiting they can still be nauseous.

It's not a bad idea to give your vet's office a call and ask if they can explain why the medication was prescribed. It's possible that there is an alternate use of Cerenia that I am not aware of. Or, it's possible that there was a mistake. The dosing of once a day for 4 days sounds normal for Cerenia, but I can't see how this would be beneficial for FIP unless there was nausea present.

Let me know what they say.

Hi Dr, Marie, thanks for responding, I did call my vet and asked again the purpose of prescribing Cerina. She said that Cerina has several uses and helping with the inflamation was one of them, and that more and more is being learned about the benefits of Cerina. I am confused since I have not found anywhere that says it helps with that. The important thing I suppose, is that Holly's appetite is coming back. I do have another question, I keep a supply of amoxicillian, (still in powder form) for Holly, it seems to be the only thing that makes her feel better or helps when she has diarrhea, can I give her the Cerina and amoxicillian? I know amoxicillian isn't for the inflamation, but she always seems to be doing better when on it for about 2 days. I never give her the antibiotic for the 2 weeks. Just till she seems like she is doing better.I appreciate your help, I too am very sad to learn that although the Corona virus doesn't usually mutate into FIP, it seems to be with my Holly. Thanks, Lissa

It certainly is possible that new uses of Cerenia are being discovered. I am currently on maternity leave and have not been in the office for the last year so it is possible that there is new information that I don't have. With that being said, if Holly was off of her food then Cerenia certainly was indicated as it can help with nausea. There can be nausea present even if there is no vomiting.

Regarding the amoxicillin, you definitely would not want to do this. Giving antibiotics sporadically or just because they may help can actually be quite dangerous and can promote antibiotic resistance in the world. There really is no indication for amoxicillin that I can see here.

If Holly seems to have diarrhea that is responsive to amoxicillin you may want to ask your vet if a short course of a drug called metronidazole may be helpful. This is an antibiotic with properties that help with intestinal inflammation. We don't tend to see as much resistance with metronidazole and I am more comfortable using it for short stints where it seems to help.

Hope things continue to improve!

Congratulations on the baby. It is good you can spend some quality time with your new one. I have used the metronidazole before, and as you already know everyone HATES it!!! She drools profusely when given the metronidazole. I don't use the amoxicillian often, probably not even once a month. But thanks for the feedback on it. I certainly don't want to make things worse for her, life is tough enough for her. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Lissa

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (16991 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (7965 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4204 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (28026 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (4380 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (4232 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (9953 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (8661 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (4494 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (8484 views)