Long term effects from chicken jerky?

Breed: German Shepherd / Bo
Hello Marie,

I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better part of 2 years now. I was just recently informed of all of the issues with it! For the most part Whiskey has been a healthy, happy, active dog. There have been a few issues that I have had issues with, especially this past year..

He tends to vomit quite often. It is normally when he is really excited and has just had a lot of water. So it is normally just water with a few kibbles, sometimes whitish frothy. I have heard that this can be common in dogs though so had written it off.

He has had loose stools off and on for the past year. I have been working on changing his dog food and diet, but I don't know why I never thought it could be the chicken strips.

I think he has been losing some weight lately and his appetite has been down. But his appetite tends to come in waves as well. The past few days his energy has been down, but i might be over thinking it now.

I guess my main question is what is the damage that might be done to his kidneys or liver with such a long exposure to the chicken strips and what can I do to reverse it or make him better?

I love him. He is my best friend. I can't imagine that I have been slowly poisoning him with these treats. I will take him to the vet to get him checked out, but I am a worrier, I just want to know if he has gotten Fanconi Syndrome that he can get better...

I have read so many of those comments form your article. He has not had any sever reactions compared to most.Most sound like they had immediate responses to the strips... I have already thrown the latest bag out. I am just worried that damage has been done.

Any advice will be so much appreciated. Thank you.

Mary & Whiskey

Hi Mary. I'm glad that people are finding out about the problems with chicken strips.

The good news is that once you stop feeding tainted chicken jerky, for most dogs there are no lasting effects. Most people have found that within 1-3 weeks their dogs are 100% better. The exception are the poor dogs that went into renal failure because of the treats. However, renal failure sounds unlikely with what you have described.

I think it's a great idea to have your vet have a look at him and do a general blood and urine panel to see if there is anything to worry about.

If the problems continue then there are a great number of possibilities. I would definitely recommend having a fecal sample checked for parasites as this can definitely cause chronic diarrhea.

Because Whiskey has German Shepherd in him I'd ask your vet abou the possibility of something called EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency). It is not very common but can cause some serious issues.

I hope things work out ok! Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you Dr. Marie,

So even though he has been exposed to these treats for a long, steady amount of time(1 to 2 treats a day for the past few years) there could be no internal damage? Just by removing these form his diet all could be well?

Sorry, this is just confusing to me. Why are some dogs so effected by these and others not?

Thank you!
Mary

I wish I knew the answer to this!

It seems to be that dogs are getting something called Fanconi's syndrome. It causes glucose to leak out of the kidneys which causes more urine to go into the bladder and then causes a dog to need to drink more. But we don't know what is causing the gastrointestinal issues.

If the kidneys are damaged enough to cause severe damage then the changes could be irreversible. But if this were the case then the dog would be very very sick.

It does seem like a lot of the dogs that got really sick were little dogs so it may be a dose related thing.

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14041 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (8014 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9197 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (5262 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (8983 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (214268 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (4980 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (7864 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (31354 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (6937 views)