Older cat not eating.

Breed: I don't know
Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of weight from not eating and secreting somekind of brown discharge (I think it was feces. I changed her food lately and she is eating more and the secreting has stopped. She looked so bad that I was thinking I needed to put her down.

My main concern is that she has been and is still losing her hair all over. Sections are in clumps and when I bathe her and brush her, large clumps of her come off of her (she is ball in some spots). What could be causing this and what can I do to get her to stop falling out and growing back.I realize she is old, but I don't want to have her put down as long as she continues to eat and communicate to me. Please tell me what I can do to restore her hairand perhaps health. Thanks.

Ima Denmon

I'm sorry to hear that Annie is not feeling well. Usually if an older cat is not eating and losing weight it does mean that there is something serious going on. It is a good thing that her appetite is picking up, but I am concerned by what you have written.

When a cat is losing hair in clumps like this it means that her immune system is dealing with something. When the body is sick then often the coat does not get properly taken care of.

There are other possible reasons for hair loss (but most likely it is because of underlying illness.) These include:

• Fleas - if so the hair loss is most likely on the back above the tail and around the neck.

• A parasite called demodex - which is quite uncommon in cats.

• Ringworm which is a fungal infection - but it shouldn't cause hair loss all over.

It would be a great idea to have a vet take a look at Annie and do some blood tests. Some things that cause weight loss in older cats include:

• Hyperthyroidism - You should see an increase in appetite (at first, but then appetite can decrease as she gets sicker).

• Kidney disease - Often cats will drink and urinate more and may have quite bad breath because of the toxins that are not being released properly by the kidneys.

• Diabetes - Usually accompanied by a large increase in thirst and urination.

• Some cancers

For many of these things there are things that we can do to help.

I hope she does ok!

Dr. Marie, Thank you for answering me. The problem is, I'm on a fixed income and do not have the high cost of taking Annie to a vet.I wish I had paid the $15 yesterday so that you could suggest something else for me to do. I didn't bring my purse over here to work on the computers. Anyway, thanks for the info.With the scope of what you say may possibly be wrong with her sounds like I have got to save up some money. She also goes on the floor a lotinstead of her litter box which is also troubling to me because I have back and leg (bending) problems. Will write again.

You're very welcome. It does sound like the best thing would be to have your vet take a look. I really hope she is ok.

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (30877 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (10193 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (12986 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (30619 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (24572 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (16285 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (7188 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (8088 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (16265 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (75234 views)