Older cat not eating.

Breed: I don't know
Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of weight from not eating and secreting somekind of brown discharge (I think it was feces. I changed her food lately and she is eating more and the secreting has stopped. She looked so bad that I was thinking I needed to put her down.

My main concern is that she has been and is still losing her hair all over. Sections are in clumps and when I bathe her and brush her, large clumps of her come off of her (she is ball in some spots). What could be causing this and what can I do to get her to stop falling out and growing back.I realize she is old, but I don't want to have her put down as long as she continues to eat and communicate to me. Please tell me what I can do to restore her hairand perhaps health. Thanks.

Ima Denmon

I'm sorry to hear that Annie is not feeling well. Usually if an older cat is not eating and losing weight it does mean that there is something serious going on. It is a good thing that her appetite is picking up, but I am concerned by what you have written.

When a cat is losing hair in clumps like this it means that her immune system is dealing with something. When the body is sick then often the coat does not get properly taken care of.

There are other possible reasons for hair loss (but most likely it is because of underlying illness.) These include:

• Fleas - if so the hair loss is most likely on the back above the tail and around the neck.

• A parasite called demodex - which is quite uncommon in cats.

• Ringworm which is a fungal infection - but it shouldn't cause hair loss all over.

It would be a great idea to have a vet take a look at Annie and do some blood tests. Some things that cause weight loss in older cats include:

• Hyperthyroidism - You should see an increase in appetite (at first, but then appetite can decrease as she gets sicker).

• Kidney disease - Often cats will drink and urinate more and may have quite bad breath because of the toxins that are not being released properly by the kidneys.

• Diabetes - Usually accompanied by a large increase in thirst and urination.

• Some cancers

For many of these things there are things that we can do to help.

I hope she does ok!

Dr. Marie, Thank you for answering me. The problem is, I'm on a fixed income and do not have the high cost of taking Annie to a vet.I wish I had paid the $15 yesterday so that you could suggest something else for me to do. I didn't bring my purse over here to work on the computers. Anyway, thanks for the info.With the scope of what you say may possibly be wrong with her sounds like I have got to save up some money. She also goes on the floor a lotinstead of her litter box which is also troubling to me because I have back and leg (bending) problems. Will write again.

You're very welcome. It does sound like the best thing would be to have your vet take a look. I really hope she is ok.

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (20579 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (11204 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (13164 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (7702 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (6780 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (9218 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (14651 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (66412 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (12071 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (21048 views)