Older cat not eating.

Breed: I don't know
Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of weight from not eating and secreting somekind of brown discharge (I think it was feces. I changed her food lately and she is eating more and the secreting has stopped. She looked so bad that I was thinking I needed to put her down.

My main concern is that she has been and is still losing her hair all over. Sections are in clumps and when I bathe her and brush her, large clumps of her come off of her (she is ball in some spots). What could be causing this and what can I do to get her to stop falling out and growing back.I realize she is old, but I don't want to have her put down as long as she continues to eat and communicate to me. Please tell me what I can do to restore her hairand perhaps health. Thanks.

Ima Denmon

I'm sorry to hear that Annie is not feeling well. Usually if an older cat is not eating and losing weight it does mean that there is something serious going on. It is a good thing that her appetite is picking up, but I am concerned by what you have written.

When a cat is losing hair in clumps like this it means that her immune system is dealing with something. When the body is sick then often the coat does not get properly taken care of.

There are other possible reasons for hair loss (but most likely it is because of underlying illness.) These include:

• Fleas - if so the hair loss is most likely on the back above the tail and around the neck.

• A parasite called demodex - which is quite uncommon in cats.

• Ringworm which is a fungal infection - but it shouldn't cause hair loss all over.

It would be a great idea to have a vet take a look at Annie and do some blood tests. Some things that cause weight loss in older cats include:

• Hyperthyroidism - You should see an increase in appetite (at first, but then appetite can decrease as she gets sicker).

• Kidney disease - Often cats will drink and urinate more and may have quite bad breath because of the toxins that are not being released properly by the kidneys.

• Diabetes - Usually accompanied by a large increase in thirst and urination.

• Some cancers

For many of these things there are things that we can do to help.

I hope she does ok!

Dr. Marie, Thank you for answering me. The problem is, I'm on a fixed income and do not have the high cost of taking Annie to a vet.I wish I had paid the $15 yesterday so that you could suggest something else for me to do. I didn't bring my purse over here to work on the computers. Anyway, thanks for the info.With the scope of what you say may possibly be wrong with her sounds like I have got to save up some money. She also goes on the floor a lotinstead of her litter box which is also troubling to me because I have back and leg (bending) problems. Will write again.

You're very welcome. It does sound like the best thing would be to have your vet take a look. I really hope she is ok.

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (6951 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (4612 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (25603 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (10366 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (14789 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (6693 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (14829 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (12656 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (85568 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (18597 views)