Older cat not eating.

Breed: I don't know
Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of weight from not eating and secreting somekind of brown discharge (I think it was feces. I changed her food lately and she is eating more and the secreting has stopped. She looked so bad that I was thinking I needed to put her down.

My main concern is that she has been and is still losing her hair all over. Sections are in clumps and when I bathe her and brush her, large clumps of her come off of her (she is ball in some spots). What could be causing this and what can I do to get her to stop falling out and growing back.I realize she is old, but I don't want to have her put down as long as she continues to eat and communicate to me. Please tell me what I can do to restore her hairand perhaps health. Thanks.

Ima Denmon

I'm sorry to hear that Annie is not feeling well. Usually if an older cat is not eating and losing weight it does mean that there is something serious going on. It is a good thing that her appetite is picking up, but I am concerned by what you have written.

When a cat is losing hair in clumps like this it means that her immune system is dealing with something. When the body is sick then often the coat does not get properly taken care of.

There are other possible reasons for hair loss (but most likely it is because of underlying illness.) These include:

• Fleas - if so the hair loss is most likely on the back above the tail and around the neck.

• A parasite called demodex - which is quite uncommon in cats.

• Ringworm which is a fungal infection - but it shouldn't cause hair loss all over.

It would be a great idea to have a vet take a look at Annie and do some blood tests. Some things that cause weight loss in older cats include:

• Hyperthyroidism - You should see an increase in appetite (at first, but then appetite can decrease as she gets sicker).

• Kidney disease - Often cats will drink and urinate more and may have quite bad breath because of the toxins that are not being released properly by the kidneys.

• Diabetes - Usually accompanied by a large increase in thirst and urination.

• Some cancers

For many of these things there are things that we can do to help.

I hope she does ok!

Dr. Marie, Thank you for answering me. The problem is, I'm on a fixed income and do not have the high cost of taking Annie to a vet.I wish I had paid the $15 yesterday so that you could suggest something else for me to do. I didn't bring my purse over here to work on the computers. Anyway, thanks for the info.With the scope of what you say may possibly be wrong with her sounds like I have got to save up some money. She also goes on the floor a lotinstead of her litter box which is also troubling to me because I have back and leg (bending) problems. Will write again.

You're very welcome. It does sound like the best thing would be to have your vet take a look. I really hope she is ok.

Small puppy. Rnt? Hi, I just purchased a purebred BullMastiff puppy. He is very happy and seems to... (19045 views)

Dog died after surgery. Last Monday our dog Ben began throwing up. He also stopped eating. It lessened on... (10192 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (24072 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (2699 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (12139 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (12247 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (27275 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (6792 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (4741 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (32397 views)