Mast cell tumor.

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up with puss. The vet popped it in November, and it did not swell up again, but we weren't sure what type of bump it is. She had her teeth cleaned last week and they removed the lump while she was under, but the a pre-op test revealed that the area did contain mass cells. My question is, what are mass cells, and what does this mean for her future health? I'm still awaiting the results of the biopsy of the lump, and the vet guessed that it was a stage 1 lump (which I don't really understand, but she said that's what we're hoping for). Could you explain to me what she means by that? I perform regular exams to try to find lumps, and will definitely continue to do so more often now that we've had this problem.

Thank you so much!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie.

I think the term you were looking for was "mast cells". Mast cell tumors are relatively common lumps in dogs. They are always lumps that we want to remove.

Mast cells are cells that have little dark staining granules in them. We normally should not see any mast cells when we are looking at a dog's body, so if we are seeing mast cells then it usually means that there is a tumor present.

There are three grades of mast cell tumors, 1, 2, and 3. A grade 1 mast cell tumor is usually totally benign. Once we remove the tumor it is usually not a problem and shouldn't ever come back again. Grade 2 tumors can be a little more worrisome and a Grade 3 mast cell tumor is quite serious.

Your vet will eventually get a report back from the pathologist telling us what grade the tumor is and what the margins look like. The margins are the areas of skin around the tumor. The goal is to have "wide margins" which means that there is tumor free tissue all around the edges of what was removed. If this is a grade 1 tumor then most likely the margins will be fine and again, there will be nothing to worry about.

Most mast cell tumors I see are indeed grade 1. Hopefully this is the case with Jammy!

You can find more information in this question that was answered about mast cell tumors in dogs.

Thank you for your response! What you said makes sense.

After I sent you the question, I noticed a small bump that was about the size of a pinhead, it was black and I couldn't quite tell if it was a tick or maybe a scab. I took it off with tweezers--the area bled a little but it wasn't bad. I'm trying to decide if this is something that I should take her into the vet for, or just monitor. I want to make sure I'm diligent in finding any troublesome bumps/lumps on her body as soon as possible in light of the one that's been removed.

Thanks again!

Hmmm...at this point I'd just watch it for now. The vet likely wouldn't be able to do much. If it comes back again then I'd have the vet take a look. It doesn't like like it was likely to be another mast cell tumor.

Hi, Dr. Marie:

I heard back from the vet today--she said that the lump was a mid-grade mast cell tumor with clean margins. I read the link you provided and your answer, and I was hoping for grade 1. Now that we know that's not grade 1, but that her margins are clean, what should I do? I'm hoping that this is still relatively good news.

Thank you again!
Julie

If the margins are clear then this is good news. Really there shouldn't be any further issues. I would be much more concerned if there were dirty margins.

Your vet should advise you on the steps from here, but it sounds like we shouldn't have to do anything else at this point.

Awesome, thank you! :o)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (6609 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (8652 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (19855 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (33934 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (10978 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (7005 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (10500 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (52869 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (11096 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (38963 views)