Mast cell tumor.

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up with puss. The vet popped it in November, and it did not swell up again, but we weren't sure what type of bump it is. She had her teeth cleaned last week and they removed the lump while she was under, but the a pre-op test revealed that the area did contain mass cells. My question is, what are mass cells, and what does this mean for her future health? I'm still awaiting the results of the biopsy of the lump, and the vet guessed that it was a stage 1 lump (which I don't really understand, but she said that's what we're hoping for). Could you explain to me what she means by that? I perform regular exams to try to find lumps, and will definitely continue to do so more often now that we've had this problem.

Thank you so much!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie.

I think the term you were looking for was "mast cells". Mast cell tumors are relatively common lumps in dogs. They are always lumps that we want to remove.

Mast cells are cells that have little dark staining granules in them. We normally should not see any mast cells when we are looking at a dog's body, so if we are seeing mast cells then it usually means that there is a tumor present.

There are three grades of mast cell tumors, 1, 2, and 3. A grade 1 mast cell tumor is usually totally benign. Once we remove the tumor it is usually not a problem and shouldn't ever come back again. Grade 2 tumors can be a little more worrisome and a Grade 3 mast cell tumor is quite serious.

Your vet will eventually get a report back from the pathologist telling us what grade the tumor is and what the margins look like. The margins are the areas of skin around the tumor. The goal is to have "wide margins" which means that there is tumor free tissue all around the edges of what was removed. If this is a grade 1 tumor then most likely the margins will be fine and again, there will be nothing to worry about.

Most mast cell tumors I see are indeed grade 1. Hopefully this is the case with Jammy!

You can find more information in this question that was answered about mast cell tumors in dogs.

Thank you for your response! What you said makes sense.

After I sent you the question, I noticed a small bump that was about the size of a pinhead, it was black and I couldn't quite tell if it was a tick or maybe a scab. I took it off with tweezers--the area bled a little but it wasn't bad. I'm trying to decide if this is something that I should take her into the vet for, or just monitor. I want to make sure I'm diligent in finding any troublesome bumps/lumps on her body as soon as possible in light of the one that's been removed.

Thanks again!

Hmmm...at this point I'd just watch it for now. The vet likely wouldn't be able to do much. If it comes back again then I'd have the vet take a look. It doesn't like like it was likely to be another mast cell tumor.

Hi, Dr. Marie:

I heard back from the vet today--she said that the lump was a mid-grade mast cell tumor with clean margins. I read the link you provided and your answer, and I was hoping for grade 1. Now that we know that's not grade 1, but that her margins are clean, what should I do? I'm hoping that this is still relatively good news.

Thank you again!
Julie

If the margins are clear then this is good news. Really there shouldn't be any further issues. I would be much more concerned if there were dirty margins.

Your vet should advise you on the steps from here, but it sounds like we shouldn't have to do anything else at this point.

Awesome, thank you! :o)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9174 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9748 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9281 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (45765 views)

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (10371 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (11949 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (9947 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (7958 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (4825 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (10487 views)