Switching foods for allergies.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and soy free for years but I think it's protein (chicken). I've switched his food to different proteins and nothing is heling (giving it at least a month) I've decided to go with Natural Balance vegan/vegetarian. Should I slowly ween him onto it like I did with the other proteins? Should I also supplement his food with some flax oil for animals?

Thanks for a great question. Food allergies can definitely be frustrating.

It's not a bad idea to switch Boo Boo to his new food gradually over a period of a week. This really isn't because of his allergies, but rather so that he doesn't get stomach or intestinal upset. Any dog can get intestinal upset when switching from one food to another too quickly.

Flax oil or omega fatty acids are also a good idea as well.

I have a few other thoughts for you. When Boo Boo was on the hypoallergenic food did he get any other food at all? If a dog gets fed even a tiny morsel of something that he is allergic to (i.e. a small piece of steak) then this can set off allergies for a couple of weeks. So, it's very important to be very strict with what food he gets.

You are correct in thinking the food allergies are most likely due to protein. This is the most common thing.

Have you had Boo Boo to the vet recently? If there is another problem going on such as an infection or hypothryoidism then this can make allergies really hard to clear up.

I hope this helps and I hope Boo Boo does well on his new food!

THANK YOU! He has been to a vet, he had to be on antibiotics for his skin infection. I was pretty strick with his diet, mostly carrots for treats but he did have some chicken jerky too.
Again many thanks!
Wendy

Ah...chicken jerky could do a LOT of damage if he was indeed allergic to chicken.

I have a really hard time explaining this to my clients. I try to tell them that they have totally spent the $90 they paid for a bag of hypoallergenic food by giving one treat.

But then I understand that it is hard...especially if you are not the only one feeding your dog.

If the new food is going to be effective we'll likely have to wait a few weeks to see.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. If you have more concerns and need to reply I'll be offline for the next 30 minutes or so. It's bath time for my little girl.

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (30419 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (5132 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11397 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (20629 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (21615 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (40182 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (11062 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (9035 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11807 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10387 views)