Switching foods for allergies.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and soy free for years but I think it's protein (chicken). I've switched his food to different proteins and nothing is heling (giving it at least a month) I've decided to go with Natural Balance vegan/vegetarian. Should I slowly ween him onto it like I did with the other proteins? Should I also supplement his food with some flax oil for animals?

Thanks for a great question. Food allergies can definitely be frustrating.

It's not a bad idea to switch Boo Boo to his new food gradually over a period of a week. This really isn't because of his allergies, but rather so that he doesn't get stomach or intestinal upset. Any dog can get intestinal upset when switching from one food to another too quickly.

Flax oil or omega fatty acids are also a good idea as well.

I have a few other thoughts for you. When Boo Boo was on the hypoallergenic food did he get any other food at all? If a dog gets fed even a tiny morsel of something that he is allergic to (i.e. a small piece of steak) then this can set off allergies for a couple of weeks. So, it's very important to be very strict with what food he gets.

You are correct in thinking the food allergies are most likely due to protein. This is the most common thing.

Have you had Boo Boo to the vet recently? If there is another problem going on such as an infection or hypothryoidism then this can make allergies really hard to clear up.

I hope this helps and I hope Boo Boo does well on his new food!

THANK YOU! He has been to a vet, he had to be on antibiotics for his skin infection. I was pretty strick with his diet, mostly carrots for treats but he did have some chicken jerky too.
Again many thanks!
Wendy

Ah...chicken jerky could do a LOT of damage if he was indeed allergic to chicken.

I have a really hard time explaining this to my clients. I try to tell them that they have totally spent the $90 they paid for a bag of hypoallergenic food by giving one treat.

But then I understand that it is hard...especially if you are not the only one feeding your dog.

If the new food is going to be effective we'll likely have to wait a few weeks to see.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. If you have more concerns and need to reply I'll be offline for the next 30 minutes or so. It's bath time for my little girl.

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (14429 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (22309 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (42389 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (13069 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (13807 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (58188 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (18340 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (20372 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (18459 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (8584 views)