Switching foods for allergies.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and soy free for years but I think it's protein (chicken). I've switched his food to different proteins and nothing is heling (giving it at least a month) I've decided to go with Natural Balance vegan/vegetarian. Should I slowly ween him onto it like I did with the other proteins? Should I also supplement his food with some flax oil for animals?

Thanks for a great question. Food allergies can definitely be frustrating.

It's not a bad idea to switch Boo Boo to his new food gradually over a period of a week. This really isn't because of his allergies, but rather so that he doesn't get stomach or intestinal upset. Any dog can get intestinal upset when switching from one food to another too quickly.

Flax oil or omega fatty acids are also a good idea as well.

I have a few other thoughts for you. When Boo Boo was on the hypoallergenic food did he get any other food at all? If a dog gets fed even a tiny morsel of something that he is allergic to (i.e. a small piece of steak) then this can set off allergies for a couple of weeks. So, it's very important to be very strict with what food he gets.

You are correct in thinking the food allergies are most likely due to protein. This is the most common thing.

Have you had Boo Boo to the vet recently? If there is another problem going on such as an infection or hypothryoidism then this can make allergies really hard to clear up.

I hope this helps and I hope Boo Boo does well on his new food!

THANK YOU! He has been to a vet, he had to be on antibiotics for his skin infection. I was pretty strick with his diet, mostly carrots for treats but he did have some chicken jerky too.
Again many thanks!
Wendy

Ah...chicken jerky could do a LOT of damage if he was indeed allergic to chicken.

I have a really hard time explaining this to my clients. I try to tell them that they have totally spent the $90 they paid for a bag of hypoallergenic food by giving one treat.

But then I understand that it is hard...especially if you are not the only one feeding your dog.

If the new food is going to be effective we'll likely have to wait a few weeks to see.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. If you have more concerns and need to reply I'll be offline for the next 30 minutes or so. It's bath time for my little girl.

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (10669 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (8205 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (19692 views)

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (6401 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (15228 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (11026 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (17643 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (10700 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (13225 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (39412 views)