Switching foods for allergies.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and soy free for years but I think it's protein (chicken). I've switched his food to different proteins and nothing is heling (giving it at least a month) I've decided to go with Natural Balance vegan/vegetarian. Should I slowly ween him onto it like I did with the other proteins? Should I also supplement his food with some flax oil for animals?

Thanks for a great question. Food allergies can definitely be frustrating.

It's not a bad idea to switch Boo Boo to his new food gradually over a period of a week. This really isn't because of his allergies, but rather so that he doesn't get stomach or intestinal upset. Any dog can get intestinal upset when switching from one food to another too quickly.

Flax oil or omega fatty acids are also a good idea as well.

I have a few other thoughts for you. When Boo Boo was on the hypoallergenic food did he get any other food at all? If a dog gets fed even a tiny morsel of something that he is allergic to (i.e. a small piece of steak) then this can set off allergies for a couple of weeks. So, it's very important to be very strict with what food he gets.

You are correct in thinking the food allergies are most likely due to protein. This is the most common thing.

Have you had Boo Boo to the vet recently? If there is another problem going on such as an infection or hypothryoidism then this can make allergies really hard to clear up.

I hope this helps and I hope Boo Boo does well on his new food!

THANK YOU! He has been to a vet, he had to be on antibiotics for his skin infection. I was pretty strick with his diet, mostly carrots for treats but he did have some chicken jerky too.
Again many thanks!
Wendy

Ah...chicken jerky could do a LOT of damage if he was indeed allergic to chicken.

I have a really hard time explaining this to my clients. I try to tell them that they have totally spent the $90 they paid for a bag of hypoallergenic food by giving one treat.

But then I understand that it is hard...especially if you are not the only one feeding your dog.

If the new food is going to be effective we'll likely have to wait a few weeks to see.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. If you have more concerns and need to reply I'll be offline for the next 30 minutes or so. It's bath time for my little girl.

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9884 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (6563 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (22125 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (17838 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8603 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (8017 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (21079 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (43900 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (27180 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (17671 views)