Coughing kitten.

Breed: mixed
I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible chest rattle/cough. No nasal discharge, no sneezing. No eye discharge. Temp is elevated.

We have been hand feeding since age 12 days and up til now, doing great. SPCA was full-up, so we took him and his brother in...temporarily

I put him on clavamox and we also administered a shot of long lasting Pen G yesterday. He will only eat a few bites of A/D..and I CAN dropper feed him pedialyte to maintain liquid. I am worried about pneumonia. I don't know what else to do

Sorry to hear that your kitten is not doing well.

The most common reason for a young kitten to have respiratory signs is an upper respiratory tract virus. However, we usually will see nasal discharge and sneezing and eye discharge as well.

It definitely is possible that there is pneumonia present. However, this is usually the result of secondary infection following an upper respiratory tract virus.

I'm concerned that perhaps this may be a congenital heart problem.

Some parasites can cause coughing in kittens but it shouldn't be this severe.

It sounds like this kitten really needs to see a vet to determine what is going on.

Unfortunately I am not legally able to advise you on administration of medication online.

I wish I could give you more help but I really think this little one needs to see a vet as soon as possible.

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (10540 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (11757 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (18123 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (20512 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (8138 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (41371 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (14288 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (20298 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (5292 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (36612 views)