Coughing kitten.

Breed: mixed
I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible chest rattle/cough. No nasal discharge, no sneezing. No eye discharge. Temp is elevated.

We have been hand feeding since age 12 days and up til now, doing great. SPCA was full-up, so we took him and his brother in...temporarily

I put him on clavamox and we also administered a shot of long lasting Pen G yesterday. He will only eat a few bites of A/D..and I CAN dropper feed him pedialyte to maintain liquid. I am worried about pneumonia. I don't know what else to do

Sorry to hear that your kitten is not doing well.

The most common reason for a young kitten to have respiratory signs is an upper respiratory tract virus. However, we usually will see nasal discharge and sneezing and eye discharge as well.

It definitely is possible that there is pneumonia present. However, this is usually the result of secondary infection following an upper respiratory tract virus.

I'm concerned that perhaps this may be a congenital heart problem.

Some parasites can cause coughing in kittens but it shouldn't be this severe.

It sounds like this kitten really needs to see a vet to determine what is going on.

Unfortunately I am not legally able to advise you on administration of medication online.

I wish I could give you more help but I really think this little one needs to see a vet as soon as possible.

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (9384 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (25548 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (40985 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (9453 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (13130 views)

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (18303 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (28412 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (23561 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (14554 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (8146 views)