Dog biting his own penis.

Breed: Great Dane Weimerane
I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken ribs, mouths tied shut, mites, worms... The list goes on) my big guy Jack gets into these stages where he bites & motions his penis with his mouth. Sometimes he even falls asleep with his mouth on it. His brother never does this. I have always had female dogs. Maybe this is normal behavior? Tonight like many other nights, I found him in the spare bedroom doing this. I don't scold him when I find hi doing this, but try & get him into another activity (take him Outside & chase a ball etc...) as I said, his brother never does this. Jack is 146 lbs and my vet & trainer think someone tried to do some kind of special breeding....his brother (same litter) is 65 lbs & looks like a pitty mix. After much testing experts have told me they do not have the same father. Anyway, is this okay? My trainer & vet say don't worry about it. They were both neutered at 5 months old. He also tries to urinate on my chow girl (spayed 12 years old) often. He is extremely high strung (observed by his trainer) he goes crazy if he sees a shadow or light move on the wall. Sorry for the babbling question. I don't ever scold him for doing this, but if it's normal should I just let him be during his time? Thanks.

It is definitely not normal for a dog to bite at his own penis. This can sometimes be indicative of a behavioral issue or possibly even a physical problem.

When he does this, is his penis protruding outside of the sheath? If it is always out a little bit, or a lot then he could have a problem called paraphimosis and this can be quite serious. It is also possible that there is something about his penis that is bothering him such as an infection, a foreign object stuck in the sheath or a wound.

This is definitely something for which a veterinary exam is a good idea. The vet may have to sedate the dog, although some tolerate it well. They will have a thorough look at the penis and the prepuce for signs of foreign objects, infections, wounds, etc. If nothing is found, then the vet may suggest trying some anxiety medication.

This is definitely something that should be addressed. If it is a behavioural problem it could turn into a medical one if he ends up causing trauma to himself.

Hope things improve soon.

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (3848 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (14078 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (10395 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (5443 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (7817 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (28080 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (8921 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (6475 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (9794 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (7174 views)