Dog biting his own penis.

Breed: Great Dane Weimerane
I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken ribs, mouths tied shut, mites, worms... The list goes on) my big guy Jack gets into these stages where he bites & motions his penis with his mouth. Sometimes he even falls asleep with his mouth on it. His brother never does this. I have always had female dogs. Maybe this is normal behavior? Tonight like many other nights, I found him in the spare bedroom doing this. I don't scold him when I find hi doing this, but try & get him into another activity (take him Outside & chase a ball etc...) as I said, his brother never does this. Jack is 146 lbs and my vet & trainer think someone tried to do some kind of special breeding....his brother (same litter) is 65 lbs & looks like a pitty mix. After much testing experts have told me they do not have the same father. Anyway, is this okay? My trainer & vet say don't worry about it. They were both neutered at 5 months old. He also tries to urinate on my chow girl (spayed 12 years old) often. He is extremely high strung (observed by his trainer) he goes crazy if he sees a shadow or light move on the wall. Sorry for the babbling question. I don't ever scold him for doing this, but if it's normal should I just let him be during his time? Thanks.

It is definitely not normal for a dog to bite at his own penis. This can sometimes be indicative of a behavioral issue or possibly even a physical problem.

When he does this, is his penis protruding outside of the sheath? If it is always out a little bit, or a lot then he could have a problem called paraphimosis and this can be quite serious. It is also possible that there is something about his penis that is bothering him such as an infection, a foreign object stuck in the sheath or a wound.

This is definitely something for which a veterinary exam is a good idea. The vet may have to sedate the dog, although some tolerate it well. They will have a thorough look at the penis and the prepuce for signs of foreign objects, infections, wounds, etc. If nothing is found, then the vet may suggest trying some anxiety medication.

This is definitely something that should be addressed. If it is a behavioural problem it could turn into a medical one if he ends up causing trauma to himself.

Hope things improve soon.

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (11931 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (6163 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13296 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (16627 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (10378 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (12503 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7857 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (24361 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (13758 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (6890 views)