Dog biting his own penis.

Breed: Great Dane Weimerane
I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken ribs, mouths tied shut, mites, worms... The list goes on) my big guy Jack gets into these stages where he bites & motions his penis with his mouth. Sometimes he even falls asleep with his mouth on it. His brother never does this. I have always had female dogs. Maybe this is normal behavior? Tonight like many other nights, I found him in the spare bedroom doing this. I don't scold him when I find hi doing this, but try & get him into another activity (take him Outside & chase a ball etc...) as I said, his brother never does this. Jack is 146 lbs and my vet & trainer think someone tried to do some kind of special breeding....his brother (same litter) is 65 lbs & looks like a pitty mix. After much testing experts have told me they do not have the same father. Anyway, is this okay? My trainer & vet say don't worry about it. They were both neutered at 5 months old. He also tries to urinate on my chow girl (spayed 12 years old) often. He is extremely high strung (observed by his trainer) he goes crazy if he sees a shadow or light move on the wall. Sorry for the babbling question. I don't ever scold him for doing this, but if it's normal should I just let him be during his time? Thanks.

It is definitely not normal for a dog to bite at his own penis. This can sometimes be indicative of a behavioral issue or possibly even a physical problem.

When he does this, is his penis protruding outside of the sheath? If it is always out a little bit, or a lot then he could have a problem called paraphimosis and this can be quite serious. It is also possible that there is something about his penis that is bothering him such as an infection, a foreign object stuck in the sheath or a wound.

This is definitely something for which a veterinary exam is a good idea. The vet may have to sedate the dog, although some tolerate it well. They will have a thorough look at the penis and the prepuce for signs of foreign objects, infections, wounds, etc. If nothing is found, then the vet may suggest trying some anxiety medication.

This is definitely something that should be addressed. If it is a behavioural problem it could turn into a medical one if he ends up causing trauma to himself.

Hope things improve soon.

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (7426 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (86904 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (25166 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (14564 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (6945 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (9508 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (10575 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (16083 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (58824 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (12163 views)