Dog biting his own penis.

Breed: Great Dane Weimerane
I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken ribs, mouths tied shut, mites, worms... The list goes on) my big guy Jack gets into these stages where he bites & motions his penis with his mouth. Sometimes he even falls asleep with his mouth on it. His brother never does this. I have always had female dogs. Maybe this is normal behavior? Tonight like many other nights, I found him in the spare bedroom doing this. I don't scold him when I find hi doing this, but try & get him into another activity (take him Outside & chase a ball etc...) as I said, his brother never does this. Jack is 146 lbs and my vet & trainer think someone tried to do some kind of special breeding....his brother (same litter) is 65 lbs & looks like a pitty mix. After much testing experts have told me they do not have the same father. Anyway, is this okay? My trainer & vet say don't worry about it. They were both neutered at 5 months old. He also tries to urinate on my chow girl (spayed 12 years old) often. He is extremely high strung (observed by his trainer) he goes crazy if he sees a shadow or light move on the wall. Sorry for the babbling question. I don't ever scold him for doing this, but if it's normal should I just let him be during his time? Thanks.

It is definitely not normal for a dog to bite at his own penis. This can sometimes be indicative of a behavioral issue or possibly even a physical problem.

When he does this, is his penis protruding outside of the sheath? If it is always out a little bit, or a lot then he could have a problem called paraphimosis and this can be quite serious. It is also possible that there is something about his penis that is bothering him such as an infection, a foreign object stuck in the sheath or a wound.

This is definitely something for which a veterinary exam is a good idea. The vet may have to sedate the dog, although some tolerate it well. They will have a thorough look at the penis and the prepuce for signs of foreign objects, infections, wounds, etc. If nothing is found, then the vet may suggest trying some anxiety medication.

This is definitely something that should be addressed. If it is a behavioural problem it could turn into a medical one if he ends up causing trauma to himself.

Hope things improve soon.

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (12117 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (6422 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (4703 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (25180 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (13254 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (18604 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (12295 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9053 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (6412 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (20615 views)