fleas from puppy

Breed: 1/2 Australian Shep
We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month.
Since about 2 weeks after we got him, Brutal has been itching and has started pulling his own fur out on his back knee. I have found only a few fleas on him and the puppy and have been treating them both with Flea Spray, Flea Baths and Collar. What can I do to make him quit itching and work on getting his fur to grow back?
Thank you,
Kasey

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Hi Kasey and thanks for your question. I don't think I have ever met a dog named Brutal. :)

It sounds like you may need to get a prescription strength flea product. Many animals are allergic to fleas and even having one flea will make them extremely itchy. You did not mention where they were itchy, but with fleas it can be anywhere on the body, or very commonly on the back of the neck and above the base of the tail.

I get really frustrated with over the counter flea sprays, baths and collars because they just don't work well! I once had a student working with me and for a science fair project she collected fleas from animals and kept them in a jar with a flea collar. The darned things lived on the flea collar and did not die.

Unfortunately though the good flea products are prescription and will cost more than the ones you have used. I usually recommend any of Advantage, Revolution, Frontline or Comfortis.

It is also really important that you treat all cats and dogs in the house and that you keep treating them for 2-3 months.

You don't need to buy products to treat your house. The product you treat the dogs with will kill any adult fleas. Then, as eggs hatch in your house they will seek out a cat or dog because they can't reproduce without getting a meal from them. Then, they will die because you are treating the dogs.

It really is quite unlikely that something other than the fleas is causing the itchiness, especially if it started after you brought the pup in and you are actually seeing fleas. They say that for every flea you see there are a hundred unseen ones!

The hair will grow back once we get rid of the fleas. There is nothing that will make it grow back faster.

I hope they are feeling better soon!

Thank you for your quick response. His belly seems to be the most affected place at this time. the bald spot is on his back knee. I just want to make sure that the problem he is having is with fleas or an infection and not a mental problem with the puppy. Thanks again. Kasey

From what you have described it seems quite unlikely that this is just psychological. If he seems itchy on his belly though, a skin infection is possible. If there is a skin infection you should see crusty lesions. Ifyou think this is the case then you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (6849 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (9497 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (25515 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (31310 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (9610 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (24573 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (11729 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (12576 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (9834 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (13589 views)