fleas from puppy

Breed: 1/2 Australian Shep
We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month.
Since about 2 weeks after we got him, Brutal has been itching and has started pulling his own fur out on his back knee. I have found only a few fleas on him and the puppy and have been treating them both with Flea Spray, Flea Baths and Collar. What can I do to make him quit itching and work on getting his fur to grow back?
Thank you,
Kasey

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Hi Kasey and thanks for your question. I don't think I have ever met a dog named Brutal. :)

It sounds like you may need to get a prescription strength flea product. Many animals are allergic to fleas and even having one flea will make them extremely itchy. You did not mention where they were itchy, but with fleas it can be anywhere on the body, or very commonly on the back of the neck and above the base of the tail.

I get really frustrated with over the counter flea sprays, baths and collars because they just don't work well! I once had a student working with me and for a science fair project she collected fleas from animals and kept them in a jar with a flea collar. The darned things lived on the flea collar and did not die.

Unfortunately though the good flea products are prescription and will cost more than the ones you have used. I usually recommend any of Advantage, Revolution, Frontline or Comfortis.

It is also really important that you treat all cats and dogs in the house and that you keep treating them for 2-3 months.

You don't need to buy products to treat your house. The product you treat the dogs with will kill any adult fleas. Then, as eggs hatch in your house they will seek out a cat or dog because they can't reproduce without getting a meal from them. Then, they will die because you are treating the dogs.

It really is quite unlikely that something other than the fleas is causing the itchiness, especially if it started after you brought the pup in and you are actually seeing fleas. They say that for every flea you see there are a hundred unseen ones!

The hair will grow back once we get rid of the fleas. There is nothing that will make it grow back faster.

I hope they are feeling better soon!

Thank you for your quick response. His belly seems to be the most affected place at this time. the bald spot is on his back knee. I just want to make sure that the problem he is having is with fleas or an infection and not a mental problem with the puppy. Thanks again. Kasey

From what you have described it seems quite unlikely that this is just psychological. If he seems itchy on his belly though, a skin infection is possible. If there is a skin infection you should see crusty lesions. Ifyou think this is the case then you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (10155 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (6695 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (10775 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (20694 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (17136 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (110444 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (102924 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (15536 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (20950 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (7933 views)