fleas from puppy

Breed: 1/2 Australian Shep
We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month.
Since about 2 weeks after we got him, Brutal has been itching and has started pulling his own fur out on his back knee. I have found only a few fleas on him and the puppy and have been treating them both with Flea Spray, Flea Baths and Collar. What can I do to make him quit itching and work on getting his fur to grow back?
Thank you,
Kasey

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Hi Kasey and thanks for your question. I don't think I have ever met a dog named Brutal. :)

It sounds like you may need to get a prescription strength flea product. Many animals are allergic to fleas and even having one flea will make them extremely itchy. You did not mention where they were itchy, but with fleas it can be anywhere on the body, or very commonly on the back of the neck and above the base of the tail.

I get really frustrated with over the counter flea sprays, baths and collars because they just don't work well! I once had a student working with me and for a science fair project she collected fleas from animals and kept them in a jar with a flea collar. The darned things lived on the flea collar and did not die.

Unfortunately though the good flea products are prescription and will cost more than the ones you have used. I usually recommend any of Advantage, Revolution, Frontline or Comfortis.

It is also really important that you treat all cats and dogs in the house and that you keep treating them for 2-3 months.

You don't need to buy products to treat your house. The product you treat the dogs with will kill any adult fleas. Then, as eggs hatch in your house they will seek out a cat or dog because they can't reproduce without getting a meal from them. Then, they will die because you are treating the dogs.

It really is quite unlikely that something other than the fleas is causing the itchiness, especially if it started after you brought the pup in and you are actually seeing fleas. They say that for every flea you see there are a hundred unseen ones!

The hair will grow back once we get rid of the fleas. There is nothing that will make it grow back faster.

I hope they are feeling better soon!

Thank you for your quick response. His belly seems to be the most affected place at this time. the bald spot is on his back knee. I just want to make sure that the problem he is having is with fleas or an infection and not a mental problem with the puppy. Thanks again. Kasey

From what you have described it seems quite unlikely that this is just psychological. If he seems itchy on his belly though, a skin infection is possible. If there is a skin infection you should see crusty lesions. Ifyou think this is the case then you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (18342 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (11624 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (10391 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (3480 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (4427 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (7453 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (21093 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (18664 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (56104 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (14810 views)