fleas from puppy

Breed: 1/2 Australian Shep
We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month.
Since about 2 weeks after we got him, Brutal has been itching and has started pulling his own fur out on his back knee. I have found only a few fleas on him and the puppy and have been treating them both with Flea Spray, Flea Baths and Collar. What can I do to make him quit itching and work on getting his fur to grow back?
Thank you,
Kasey

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Hi Kasey and thanks for your question. I don't think I have ever met a dog named Brutal. :)

It sounds like you may need to get a prescription strength flea product. Many animals are allergic to fleas and even having one flea will make them extremely itchy. You did not mention where they were itchy, but with fleas it can be anywhere on the body, or very commonly on the back of the neck and above the base of the tail.

I get really frustrated with over the counter flea sprays, baths and collars because they just don't work well! I once had a student working with me and for a science fair project she collected fleas from animals and kept them in a jar with a flea collar. The darned things lived on the flea collar and did not die.

Unfortunately though the good flea products are prescription and will cost more than the ones you have used. I usually recommend any of Advantage, Revolution, Frontline or Comfortis.

It is also really important that you treat all cats and dogs in the house and that you keep treating them for 2-3 months.

You don't need to buy products to treat your house. The product you treat the dogs with will kill any adult fleas. Then, as eggs hatch in your house they will seek out a cat or dog because they can't reproduce without getting a meal from them. Then, they will die because you are treating the dogs.

It really is quite unlikely that something other than the fleas is causing the itchiness, especially if it started after you brought the pup in and you are actually seeing fleas. They say that for every flea you see there are a hundred unseen ones!

The hair will grow back once we get rid of the fleas. There is nothing that will make it grow back faster.

I hope they are feeling better soon!

Thank you for your quick response. His belly seems to be the most affected place at this time. the bald spot is on his back knee. I just want to make sure that the problem he is having is with fleas or an infection and not a mental problem with the puppy. Thanks again. Kasey

From what you have described it seems quite unlikely that this is just psychological. If he seems itchy on his belly though, a skin infection is possible. If there is a skin infection you should see crusty lesions. Ifyou think this is the case then you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (6987 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (40969 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (17485 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (24963 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (19037 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (9238 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (8157 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7821 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6209 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (19015 views)