Not eating and vomiting.

Breed: Terrior-cross
Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We try to feed her small amounts of food and plenty of water but she still is being sick.When ever she does eat something she brings it back up. And has eaten grass alot. why is this?

Hi there...sorry to hear that Tilly is unwell.

There are many different causes for vomiting. The most common cause is a gastritis/enteritis which is an upset intestinal tract usually resulting from a change in food or eating a new type of treat or table food.

The next possibility is that your dog has pancreatitis. It causes vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Usually the front of the abdomen (just behind the ribs) is extremely painful in pancreatitis. The treatment for this disease is hospitalization with IV fluids and pain and anti-vomiting medicines.

The next possiblity is that your dog has swallowed an object that she shouldn't have causing an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

If your dog is not vaccinated, another possibility is parvo virus. This is more common in puppies, but can happen at any age. It usually causes great amounts of bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

It is also possible that your dog has a problem with her liver or kidneys as well which is a serious matter.
If your dog is still fairly bright and alert then you do not need to rush her in to the vet right away. You can try fasting her for 12-24 hours and then feeding a small amount of cooked chicken and rice. If she keeps this down then feed her this for a couple of days and then gradually mix in her regular food.

If she is not bright then you can try giving her a small amount of pedialyte to get her through tonight and she should be seen in the morning. If you think she is extremely uncomfortable then an emergency visit is in order.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6381 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (32227 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (29476 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10249 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (11065 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (15043 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7432 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (19838 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (6832 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (8959 views)