Not eating and vomiting.

Breed: Terrior-cross
Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We try to feed her small amounts of food and plenty of water but she still is being sick.When ever she does eat something she brings it back up. And has eaten grass alot. why is this?

Hi there...sorry to hear that Tilly is unwell.

There are many different causes for vomiting. The most common cause is a gastritis/enteritis which is an upset intestinal tract usually resulting from a change in food or eating a new type of treat or table food.

The next possibility is that your dog has pancreatitis. It causes vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Usually the front of the abdomen (just behind the ribs) is extremely painful in pancreatitis. The treatment for this disease is hospitalization with IV fluids and pain and anti-vomiting medicines.

The next possiblity is that your dog has swallowed an object that she shouldn't have causing an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

If your dog is not vaccinated, another possibility is parvo virus. This is more common in puppies, but can happen at any age. It usually causes great amounts of bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

It is also possible that your dog has a problem with her liver or kidneys as well which is a serious matter.
If your dog is still fairly bright and alert then you do not need to rush her in to the vet right away. You can try fasting her for 12-24 hours and then feeding a small amount of cooked chicken and rice. If she keeps this down then feed her this for a couple of days and then gradually mix in her regular food.

If she is not bright then you can try giving her a small amount of pedialyte to get her through tonight and she should be seen in the morning. If you think she is extremely uncomfortable then an emergency visit is in order.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (16859 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (14842 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (18862 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (13303 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11748 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5732 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (13534 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (12055 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8981 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (11522 views)