Not eating and vomiting.

Breed: Terrior-cross
Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We try to feed her small amounts of food and plenty of water but she still is being sick.When ever she does eat something she brings it back up. And has eaten grass alot. why is this?

Hi there...sorry to hear that Tilly is unwell.

There are many different causes for vomiting. The most common cause is a gastritis/enteritis which is an upset intestinal tract usually resulting from a change in food or eating a new type of treat or table food.

The next possibility is that your dog has pancreatitis. It causes vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Usually the front of the abdomen (just behind the ribs) is extremely painful in pancreatitis. The treatment for this disease is hospitalization with IV fluids and pain and anti-vomiting medicines.

The next possiblity is that your dog has swallowed an object that she shouldn't have causing an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

If your dog is not vaccinated, another possibility is parvo virus. This is more common in puppies, but can happen at any age. It usually causes great amounts of bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

It is also possible that your dog has a problem with her liver or kidneys as well which is a serious matter.
If your dog is still fairly bright and alert then you do not need to rush her in to the vet right away. You can try fasting her for 12-24 hours and then feeding a small amount of cooked chicken and rice. If she keeps this down then feed her this for a couple of days and then gradually mix in her regular food.

If she is not bright then you can try giving her a small amount of pedialyte to get her through tonight and she should be seen in the morning. If you think she is extremely uncomfortable then an emergency visit is in order.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (16238 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (53724 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (14432 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (10807 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (10595 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (10118 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (13211 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (14438 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (11673 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (10090 views)