Not eating and vomiting.

Breed: Terrior-cross
Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We try to feed her small amounts of food and plenty of water but she still is being sick.When ever she does eat something she brings it back up. And has eaten grass alot. why is this?

Hi there...sorry to hear that Tilly is unwell.

There are many different causes for vomiting. The most common cause is a gastritis/enteritis which is an upset intestinal tract usually resulting from a change in food or eating a new type of treat or table food.

The next possibility is that your dog has pancreatitis. It causes vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Usually the front of the abdomen (just behind the ribs) is extremely painful in pancreatitis. The treatment for this disease is hospitalization with IV fluids and pain and anti-vomiting medicines.

The next possiblity is that your dog has swallowed an object that she shouldn't have causing an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

If your dog is not vaccinated, another possibility is parvo virus. This is more common in puppies, but can happen at any age. It usually causes great amounts of bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

It is also possible that your dog has a problem with her liver or kidneys as well which is a serious matter.
If your dog is still fairly bright and alert then you do not need to rush her in to the vet right away. You can try fasting her for 12-24 hours and then feeding a small amount of cooked chicken and rice. If she keeps this down then feed her this for a couple of days and then gradually mix in her regular food.

If she is not bright then you can try giving her a small amount of pedialyte to get her through tonight and she should be seen in the morning. If you think she is extremely uncomfortable then an emergency visit is in order.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (14125 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (10551 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (6677 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (20083 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (43052 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (15540 views)

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (11934 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (12728 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6364 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (21434 views)