Vaccines in Nunavut.

Breed: Husky Mix
Hi,

We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus have had a difficult time in acquiring the first series of vaccines for our new puppy. Most vets will not sell them to us and we do not want to fly down south in fear of her being overly stressed or catching something at such a young age. We have located a supply company out of Winnipeg who will ship us a Pfizer product but don't know what type of vaccine to order from them. We're hoping you would be able to clarify what Pfizer brand vaccines we should order for the 6, 10, 14 week shots. We are provided the rabies shot free of charge through the gov't of Nunavut and don't need this product.

Thank you for your time.

Al & Adriana

Well this is an interesting question. I know that I have shipped vaccine to Nunavut for clients of mine who had moved there. But I can see that other vets would not be willing to do that if you are not an established client. That is good news that you are able to get vaccines on your own.

There are probably legal issues with me giving you advice on what to give to your pet without having a client-patient relationship with you, but I can give you some generalizations that really should help.

I would think that the main concerns in Nunavit would be for parvovirus, possibly distemper and also rabies. I dont' think that leptospirosis and lyme disease would be common in a northern climate.

So, I would generally start vaccinations between 6 and 8 weeks of age and the vaccine I would use would be one that has distemper and parvo. (We generally use a combo called DA2PPV (distemper, adenovirus, parvo virus and parainfluenza)). Then, I would be giving this vaccine again 3-4 weeks later and a third time 3-4 weeks after that. Each needle is given as a subcutaneous injection. I usually use a 3cc syringe and a 25g needle, but a 22g is ok as well. The dose for each vaccine will be 1cc which should be the whole bottle.

With that final vaccine I would also give a rabies vaccination. I would be surprised if you can buy rabies vaccine out of Winnipeg as most provinces have a legal requirement for a licensed vet to administer a rabies vaccine. But, if you can get the DA2PPV vaccine that's a start.

(Added: I just reread your question and saw that you have access to rabies vaccines, so ignore that last part!)

Here is another place that may be able to help you. This is the licensing body for veterinarians in Nunavut:

Government of Nunavut Department of Health and Social Services

Nunavut Registrar Professional Licensing
P.O. Box 390
Kugluktuk, NU X0B 0E0
(867) 982-7672

Let me know if you have more questions!

If it helps, here is some more information on my recommended vaccine schedule for dogs.

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (14610 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (14469 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (46643 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10723 views)

Pug died after pooping blood. my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never... (54989 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (30039 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (4821 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5481 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (15990 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (7695 views)