Red gums next to baby teeth.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr,

This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded lower canines. Luckily they seem to have found a position slotted in between his upper incisor/canine teeth (though they are still making contact with the upper gums and creating a black circle where they meet.

I also noticed the edge of the upper incisor/canine gums seems inflamed (left and right side). Only the teeth that border these occluded canines though. Rest of the gums are healthy.

(You will also notice the last of his deciduous teeth is about to fall out).

I have an appointment with a vet dentist next Monday. But I wanted to know if any of this requires immediate attention.

Thanks

Jay

Good evening Jay. Thanks for the great picture:

deciduous teeth

It looks like there is indeed some inflammation at the base of each deciduous (baby) tooth. This is probably because the tooth is crowded next to the adult tooth.

It doesn't look like the area is infected at all. I think it's just a little inflamed.

I likely wouldn't do anything for this. It's not likely to be causing him much discomfort. I think it's perfectly ok to wait until his dentist appointment on Monday.

That makes sense. Because the upper canine and incisor both show signs of inflamation and from what you've said, its the pressure from the lower canine finding it's way between them that's causing it, correct?

As for that little deciduous canine beside the adult canine, I will be happy when it falls out.

Thanks again.

Jay

PS, switched him to Science Diet last Thursday... SO FAR he has eaten every meal. Fingers crossed.

Yes, it sounds like you're understanding.

Oh, I am glad to hear that he is eating well!

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (7381 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (23567 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (11834 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (16290 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (5821 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (12087 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (18627 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (15912 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (7057 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (9630 views)