Red gums next to baby teeth.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr,

This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded lower canines. Luckily they seem to have found a position slotted in between his upper incisor/canine teeth (though they are still making contact with the upper gums and creating a black circle where they meet.

I also noticed the edge of the upper incisor/canine gums seems inflamed (left and right side). Only the teeth that border these occluded canines though. Rest of the gums are healthy.

(You will also notice the last of his deciduous teeth is about to fall out).

I have an appointment with a vet dentist next Monday. But I wanted to know if any of this requires immediate attention.

Thanks

Jay

Good evening Jay. Thanks for the great picture:

deciduous teeth

It looks like there is indeed some inflammation at the base of each deciduous (baby) tooth. This is probably because the tooth is crowded next to the adult tooth.

It doesn't look like the area is infected at all. I think it's just a little inflamed.

I likely wouldn't do anything for this. It's not likely to be causing him much discomfort. I think it's perfectly ok to wait until his dentist appointment on Monday.

That makes sense. Because the upper canine and incisor both show signs of inflamation and from what you've said, its the pressure from the lower canine finding it's way between them that's causing it, correct?

As for that little deciduous canine beside the adult canine, I will be happy when it falls out.

Thanks again.

Jay

PS, switched him to Science Diet last Thursday... SO FAR he has eaten every meal. Fingers crossed.

Yes, it sounds like you're understanding.

Oh, I am glad to hear that he is eating well!

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (47429 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (10201 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16071 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (6029 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (5705 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8015 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (6684 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (7528 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10024 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (5643 views)