Red gums next to baby teeth.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr,

This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded lower canines. Luckily they seem to have found a position slotted in between his upper incisor/canine teeth (though they are still making contact with the upper gums and creating a black circle where they meet.

I also noticed the edge of the upper incisor/canine gums seems inflamed (left and right side). Only the teeth that border these occluded canines though. Rest of the gums are healthy.

(You will also notice the last of his deciduous teeth is about to fall out).

I have an appointment with a vet dentist next Monday. But I wanted to know if any of this requires immediate attention.

Thanks

Jay

Good evening Jay. Thanks for the great picture:

deciduous teeth

It looks like there is indeed some inflammation at the base of each deciduous (baby) tooth. This is probably because the tooth is crowded next to the adult tooth.

It doesn't look like the area is infected at all. I think it's just a little inflamed.

I likely wouldn't do anything for this. It's not likely to be causing him much discomfort. I think it's perfectly ok to wait until his dentist appointment on Monday.

That makes sense. Because the upper canine and incisor both show signs of inflamation and from what you've said, its the pressure from the lower canine finding it's way between them that's causing it, correct?

As for that little deciduous canine beside the adult canine, I will be happy when it falls out.

Thanks again.

Jay

PS, switched him to Science Diet last Thursday... SO FAR he has eaten every meal. Fingers crossed.

Yes, it sounds like you're understanding.

Oh, I am glad to hear that he is eating well!

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (6834 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (11043 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (9014 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (37732 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (8242 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (51600 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (12811 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (18667 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (9526 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (10298 views)