Red gums next to baby teeth.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr,

This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded lower canines. Luckily they seem to have found a position slotted in between his upper incisor/canine teeth (though they are still making contact with the upper gums and creating a black circle where they meet.

I also noticed the edge of the upper incisor/canine gums seems inflamed (left and right side). Only the teeth that border these occluded canines though. Rest of the gums are healthy.

(You will also notice the last of his deciduous teeth is about to fall out).

I have an appointment with a vet dentist next Monday. But I wanted to know if any of this requires immediate attention.

Thanks

Jay

Good evening Jay. Thanks for the great picture:

deciduous teeth

It looks like there is indeed some inflammation at the base of each deciduous (baby) tooth. This is probably because the tooth is crowded next to the adult tooth.

It doesn't look like the area is infected at all. I think it's just a little inflamed.

I likely wouldn't do anything for this. It's not likely to be causing him much discomfort. I think it's perfectly ok to wait until his dentist appointment on Monday.

That makes sense. Because the upper canine and incisor both show signs of inflamation and from what you've said, its the pressure from the lower canine finding it's way between them that's causing it, correct?

As for that little deciduous canine beside the adult canine, I will be happy when it falls out.

Thanks again.

Jay

PS, switched him to Science Diet last Thursday... SO FAR he has eaten every meal. Fingers crossed.

Yes, it sounds like you're understanding.

Oh, I am glad to hear that he is eating well!

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (3551 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (12720 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (3822 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (15792 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (3841 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (47721 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (8546 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (9601 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (14944 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (21019 views)