Red gums next to baby teeth.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr,

This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded lower canines. Luckily they seem to have found a position slotted in between his upper incisor/canine teeth (though they are still making contact with the upper gums and creating a black circle where they meet.

I also noticed the edge of the upper incisor/canine gums seems inflamed (left and right side). Only the teeth that border these occluded canines though. Rest of the gums are healthy.

(You will also notice the last of his deciduous teeth is about to fall out).

I have an appointment with a vet dentist next Monday. But I wanted to know if any of this requires immediate attention.

Thanks

Jay

Good evening Jay. Thanks for the great picture:

deciduous teeth

It looks like there is indeed some inflammation at the base of each deciduous (baby) tooth. This is probably because the tooth is crowded next to the adult tooth.

It doesn't look like the area is infected at all. I think it's just a little inflamed.

I likely wouldn't do anything for this. It's not likely to be causing him much discomfort. I think it's perfectly ok to wait until his dentist appointment on Monday.

That makes sense. Because the upper canine and incisor both show signs of inflamation and from what you've said, its the pressure from the lower canine finding it's way between them that's causing it, correct?

As for that little deciduous canine beside the adult canine, I will be happy when it falls out.

Thanks again.

Jay

PS, switched him to Science Diet last Thursday... SO FAR he has eaten every meal. Fingers crossed.

Yes, it sounds like you're understanding.

Oh, I am glad to hear that he is eating well!

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (13969 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (5278 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (6929 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (3585 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (3496 views)

Puppy won't eat or drink. My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink... (68714 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (3156 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (5993 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (34063 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (2625 views)