Red gums next to baby teeth.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr,

This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded lower canines. Luckily they seem to have found a position slotted in between his upper incisor/canine teeth (though they are still making contact with the upper gums and creating a black circle where they meet.

I also noticed the edge of the upper incisor/canine gums seems inflamed (left and right side). Only the teeth that border these occluded canines though. Rest of the gums are healthy.

(You will also notice the last of his deciduous teeth is about to fall out).

I have an appointment with a vet dentist next Monday. But I wanted to know if any of this requires immediate attention.

Thanks

Jay

Good evening Jay. Thanks for the great picture:

deciduous teeth

It looks like there is indeed some inflammation at the base of each deciduous (baby) tooth. This is probably because the tooth is crowded next to the adult tooth.

It doesn't look like the area is infected at all. I think it's just a little inflamed.

I likely wouldn't do anything for this. It's not likely to be causing him much discomfort. I think it's perfectly ok to wait until his dentist appointment on Monday.

That makes sense. Because the upper canine and incisor both show signs of inflamation and from what you've said, its the pressure from the lower canine finding it's way between them that's causing it, correct?

As for that little deciduous canine beside the adult canine, I will be happy when it falls out.

Thanks again.

Jay

PS, switched him to Science Diet last Thursday... SO FAR he has eaten every meal. Fingers crossed.

Yes, it sounds like you're understanding.

Oh, I am glad to hear that he is eating well!

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (20000 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11565 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (8460 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11946 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (54335 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (53949 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (19016 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (10815 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (9600 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (8025 views)