Limping cat.

Breed: long hair (used to b
My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or bleeding. I didn't see anything stuck in her footpad, and she didn't seem to mind me feeling her leg. What could be wrong? Should I take her to a vet?

Sorry to her that Tittertat is not well. (Cute name by the way.)

The most common reason for a cat to be limping is if she has suffered a bite wound from another cat. Often the original wound will heal but there can be infection in the skin underneath. If this is the case then the only effective treatment is medication prescribed by your veterinarian.

It is also possible that she has suffered some trauma to that leg. It could be anything from a fractured toe to a dislocated hip.

When a cat is limping I have a few criteria that tells me whether it is time to see the vet or not:

• If she is very uncomfortable (i.e. crying in pain, not moving at all).
  • If the problem has not gotten better after 48 hours.

• If her appetite is affected.

• If there is a green or yellow discharge from anywhere.

• If your gut is just telling you that you need to get her seen.

I hope she does ok!

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (12065 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (20965 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (15313 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (12938 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (4421 views)

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (14507 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (16304 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (6198 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (4754 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (37208 views)