Limping cat.

Breed: long hair (used to b
My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or bleeding. I didn't see anything stuck in her footpad, and she didn't seem to mind me feeling her leg. What could be wrong? Should I take her to a vet?

Sorry to her that Tittertat is not well. (Cute name by the way.)

The most common reason for a cat to be limping is if she has suffered a bite wound from another cat. Often the original wound will heal but there can be infection in the skin underneath. If this is the case then the only effective treatment is medication prescribed by your veterinarian.

It is also possible that she has suffered some trauma to that leg. It could be anything from a fractured toe to a dislocated hip.

When a cat is limping I have a few criteria that tells me whether it is time to see the vet or not:

• If she is very uncomfortable (i.e. crying in pain, not moving at all).
  • If the problem has not gotten better after 48 hours.

• If her appetite is affected.

• If there is a green or yellow discharge from anywhere.

• If your gut is just telling you that you need to get her seen.

I hope she does ok!

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (7049 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (23703 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (18344 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (8258 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (8117 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16625 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (18317 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (17916 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (10261 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (10667 views)