Limping cat.

Breed: long hair (used to b
My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or bleeding. I didn't see anything stuck in her footpad, and she didn't seem to mind me feeling her leg. What could be wrong? Should I take her to a vet?

Sorry to her that Tittertat is not well. (Cute name by the way.)

The most common reason for a cat to be limping is if she has suffered a bite wound from another cat. Often the original wound will heal but there can be infection in the skin underneath. If this is the case then the only effective treatment is medication prescribed by your veterinarian.

It is also possible that she has suffered some trauma to that leg. It could be anything from a fractured toe to a dislocated hip.

When a cat is limping I have a few criteria that tells me whether it is time to see the vet or not:

• If she is very uncomfortable (i.e. crying in pain, not moving at all).
  • If the problem has not gotten better after 48 hours.

• If her appetite is affected.

• If there is a green or yellow discharge from anywhere.

• If your gut is just telling you that you need to get her seen.

I hope she does ok!

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (17117 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (10644 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (8259 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (10597 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (32876 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (28376 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7903 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (30762 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (27211 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (26868 views)