Intranasal vaccine reaction.

Breed: feline
our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four days and she began sneezeing like crazy she has been sneezing blood for the past three days can i help her? and can she have the vacine again or do i need to get the shot instead and one shot or two rounds? or could this be a reaction to changing her cat food?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Stars is not feeling well.

The intranasal vaccine for kittens is usually quite safe. But, in rare cases we can get a cat who comes down with an upper respiratory virus after getting the vaccine. Usually though the virus is quite mild.

It's also possible that Stars was harboring a virus and then the stress of the vaccines allowed it to surface.

In either case the best thing to do here is to contact your vet. Many times if a cat has had a reaction to a vaccination the company who makes the vaccination will cover part or all of the costs of treating the cat.

Your vet may be able to prescribe some medication to help with the congestion. They can also determine whether there is some infection present and if so prescribe some antibiotics.

In the meantime, something you can do to help the congestion is to run the shower and get the bathroom really steamy and then put Stars in the steamy room for 10 minutes to help loosen up the congestion. You can also try heating up some canned cat food to help make it smellier so she is encouraged to eat.

Most likely she will need to get the injectable vaccine next time and yes, she will likely need a booster as well. This depends on a few factors though so you will need to get your vet's advice on this.

This is definitely not due to changing her food.

Again, I would advise you to call your vet in the morning and hopefully they can help.

I hope little Stars is feeling better soon!

she has no other symptoms except excesive sneezing and blood she is eating fine

It's still a good idea to call your vet just in case the symptoms get worse. It's a good thing that she is still eating!

The other reason to call your vet is that the vaccine company needs to know that she had a reaction. If lots of cats are having reactions then they need to do something about their vaccine.

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (3071 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (8154 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (6680 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (12890 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (15606 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (10216 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (6594 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (6203 views)

Kitten has bad breath. I am having serious problems because my cat is having very smelly and bad breath... (23096 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (3329 views)