Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo.

Breed: yorkiepoo
My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in until I got home at 6:00, He is now acting very strange he hasn't barked, he's not playful, I have to feed him water from a syringe, he is off balance, and is running into things very clumsy. But when we take him out to do his business I can get him to run around a little bit but thats about it. He has been urinating normal all day and has had two bowel movements. He has laid around all night last night and all day today sleeping. He seems to be breathing normal but when I call his name he doesn't respond but if I ask him if he wants to go for a ride he responds. When he is standing he leans against things. I am very concerned about him but I don't have the money for a vet bill. What should I do?

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Max.

So, to summarize his problems:
-He is acting strange.
-He isn't barking.
-He is not playful.
-He is off balance.
-He is not drinking (or eating?)
-He is running into things and very clumsy and leaning against things.

These symptoms make me worry about some type of neurological problem (i.e. something affecting the brain.)

Unfortunately, in a small dog like a yorkiepoo one possibility is something called a portosystemic shunt (or liver shunt). This is a condition that small dogs can be born with that cause blood flow to not travel through the liver properly. When this happens there is a buildup of ammonia and this affects the brain causing symptoms of drunkenness.

While some dogs can be cured of a liver shunt with surgery the surgery is very risky and expensive. There are some dogs if mildly affected that can survive with medications and special food.

It's also possible that your dog got into something toxic to the brain such as certain types of mushrooms (are there any in your yard?) or drugs such as marijuana or other drugs.

Another possibility is some pain such as in his back, but I don't think this is what you are describing.

If these symptoms persist more than 24 hours then a vet visit really is the best idea.

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (13268 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23696 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (20208 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (17037 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (14193 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (16388 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11349 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (6615 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (10761 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8488 views)