Vomiting every day.

Breed: dom short hair
My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This morning it was about an hour before eating. I will hear him start to heave and then find 2 or 3 puddles of light brown liquid. I noticed that there would be pieces of my silk plant mixed in so that was moved out of his reach but he continues to throw up. He is on an indoor dry cat food, fed twice a day via auto feeder. He seems to be starving all of the time and constantly tries to break into the feeder to get more food. I wasn't worried initially because he was chewing on the artificial plants but since it's continuing I am concerned.

Sometimes it can be normal for a cat to vomit. But what you are describing sounds far too frequent.

I have a few thoughts about what could be going on.

You have described some symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Cats with a thyroid problem will be voraciously hungry and often will vomit quite frequently. They usually do lose a lot of weight but sometimes this happens gradually enough that owners don't notice the weight loss.

If he is hyperthyroid then the way to find out is to have your vet do some blood tests on him. For most cats hyperthyroidism is treated quite easily with medication, but it is medicine that he would need to have for the rest of his life.

If he is not hyperthryoid then another thing that could cause these symptoms is diabetes. However, most cats with diabetes have an extreme increase in thirst and urination.

Another possibility is inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). While you would think that inflammatory bowel disease would cause diarrhea, in some cats it causes vomiting. IBD is hard to diagnose without doing a surgery to biopsy the intestines. However, if your cat's tests turn out to be normal then your vet may talk about treating for IBD.

What you have described doesn't sound like something simple like a hairball or a dislike of a certain kind of food.

It would be really great if you could have Lazy Boy examined by a vet soon. If he does have hyperthryoidism and it goes untreated it can cause serious problems with his heart and can even cause blindness.

I really hope he is ok!

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (19161 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (10245 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (7254 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7860 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (10803 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (25180 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (17896 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (6986 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (18984 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5376 views)