Swollen lip

Breed: Calico
My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but today her cheek is swollen). She appears very healthy otherwise except I rarely see her drink water. My vet seems unsure of what to do.

We have put her on 2 rounds of antibiotics and the swelling seemed to disappear quickly, but now does so without the medication. We also recently switched her to hypoallergenic food (about 3 weeks ago), but her swollen cheek today has me very worried.

She is an indoor/outdoor cat. She is only allowed outside in my backyard on a harness and leash.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Cinnamon. But, I do have some ideas for you.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of this being something called an eosinophilic ulcer. These cause lesions to appear. The most common area is indeed the lips, but they can appear anywhere.

Sometimes they are mild and go away on their own. And sometimes they can get very swollen and bothersome.

If they don't go away on their own they need to be treated with a steroid injection. Some cats will need a second injection 2 or 3 weeks later for them to go away completely.

Unfortunately for some cats these can come back repeatedly. In these cases, sometimes an allergy is the cause and we try the cats on a hypoallergenic food and switch feeding bowls (if they are plastic) to something else (as some cats are allergic to plastic).

If your vet doesn't think it is an eosinophilic ulcer then the next step would be to biopsy one of these lesions. A biopsy will almost certainly tell us what is going on.

If her cheek is really swollen though, there may be an abscess. While most abscesses go away with antibiotics some of them will not heal up unless they are surgically opened. And some of them can be resistant to antibiotics. The vet may need to do a test called a culture to determine if there is a resistant infection present.

Hope she is better soon!

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (10962 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (7673 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (16333 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (30280 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (7810 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (4921 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (7272 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (4200 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (20394 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (9332 views)