Swollen lip

Breed: Calico
My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but today her cheek is swollen). She appears very healthy otherwise except I rarely see her drink water. My vet seems unsure of what to do.

We have put her on 2 rounds of antibiotics and the swelling seemed to disappear quickly, but now does so without the medication. We also recently switched her to hypoallergenic food (about 3 weeks ago), but her swollen cheek today has me very worried.

She is an indoor/outdoor cat. She is only allowed outside in my backyard on a harness and leash.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Cinnamon. But, I do have some ideas for you.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of this being something called an eosinophilic ulcer. These cause lesions to appear. The most common area is indeed the lips, but they can appear anywhere.

Sometimes they are mild and go away on their own. And sometimes they can get very swollen and bothersome.

If they don't go away on their own they need to be treated with a steroid injection. Some cats will need a second injection 2 or 3 weeks later for them to go away completely.

Unfortunately for some cats these can come back repeatedly. In these cases, sometimes an allergy is the cause and we try the cats on a hypoallergenic food and switch feeding bowls (if they are plastic) to something else (as some cats are allergic to plastic).

If your vet doesn't think it is an eosinophilic ulcer then the next step would be to biopsy one of these lesions. A biopsy will almost certainly tell us what is going on.

If her cheek is really swollen though, there may be an abscess. While most abscesses go away with antibiotics some of them will not heal up unless they are surgically opened. And some of them can be resistant to antibiotics. The vet may need to do a test called a culture to determine if there is a resistant infection present.

Hope she is better soon!

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (38158 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7383 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (18973 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (6713 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (20280 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (19223 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (18726 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (4950 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17650 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (65979 views)