Swollen lip

Breed: Calico
My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but today her cheek is swollen). She appears very healthy otherwise except I rarely see her drink water. My vet seems unsure of what to do.

We have put her on 2 rounds of antibiotics and the swelling seemed to disappear quickly, but now does so without the medication. We also recently switched her to hypoallergenic food (about 3 weeks ago), but her swollen cheek today has me very worried.

She is an indoor/outdoor cat. She is only allowed outside in my backyard on a harness and leash.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Cinnamon. But, I do have some ideas for you.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of this being something called an eosinophilic ulcer. These cause lesions to appear. The most common area is indeed the lips, but they can appear anywhere.

Sometimes they are mild and go away on their own. And sometimes they can get very swollen and bothersome.

If they don't go away on their own they need to be treated with a steroid injection. Some cats will need a second injection 2 or 3 weeks later for them to go away completely.

Unfortunately for some cats these can come back repeatedly. In these cases, sometimes an allergy is the cause and we try the cats on a hypoallergenic food and switch feeding bowls (if they are plastic) to something else (as some cats are allergic to plastic).

If your vet doesn't think it is an eosinophilic ulcer then the next step would be to biopsy one of these lesions. A biopsy will almost certainly tell us what is going on.

If her cheek is really swollen though, there may be an abscess. While most abscesses go away with antibiotics some of them will not heal up unless they are surgically opened. And some of them can be resistant to antibiotics. The vet may need to do a test called a culture to determine if there is a resistant infection present.

Hope she is better soon!

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (7452 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (20473 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (32633 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (9612 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (15220 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (13632 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (16677 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (13320 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (16284 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (8605 views)