Lumps on dog's neck.

Breed: Hungarian Vizsla
My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his neck and shoulders.

They don't seem to hurt/irritate him and most go after a couple of days but one patch on the back of his neck has been predent for about a week and he has bald patches over them.

He has been flea treated but spends a lot of time running through wooded areas.

Does this sound like something to worry about and can I help get rid of it at home?

Thank you

Hi there and thanks for your question.

I'm wondering if what you are describing could be an allergic reaction. It's hard to say without seeing Otto. If they are little bumps that come and go then this is a possibility. While I can't legally give you the dose online you can call your vet and ask if they can tell you how much benadryl to give. If it is an allergic reaction then this should help.

Insect stings are possible as well especially if you have mosquitos or blackflies in your area.

Sometimes a bacterial infection can present like this. If this is the case then unfortunately a vet visit will be necessary to get oral antibiotics. Creams and other topical treatments don't tend to work.

I hope this helps!

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (5920 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (15003 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (24009 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (20033 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (12218 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (12659 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (23519 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (42089 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (145360 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (8026 views)