Died after grooming.

Breed: shih tzu
Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to the groomers and when she came back home she seemed very tired, she then started to yelp and she couldnt keep her head up, she had trouble keeping her eyes open and staggered when she walked, then she coughed up bright red blood, i took her the vet and she told me the puppy had pervorated eardrums in both ears then the vet took her temperature and said she was dying, the vet put my puppy on a drip and took her to the hospital were she later died, the vet told me she was bleeding from the nose and had lost a lot of blood but does not know why she died, my puppy was fully vaccinated also, thanks for your time.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened. What a horrible situation.

With the amount of bleeding you have described I am wondering if Harrison had gotten into something that caused a coagulation problem. Did she have any exposure to rat or mouse poison? Was she given aspirin at all? Any of these could cause bleeding issues.

It's also possible that she had a condition called IMT (immune mediated thrombocytopenia) which affects a dog's platelets which work for clotting. We don't know why dogs get this.

I don't know what to say about the ear drums. While a vigorous ear cleaning could perforate an ear drum it is really rare.

I wish I had more answers for you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (10022 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (22601 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (12467 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (61196 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (13427 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (15262 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (88180 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (19906 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (18110 views)

yellow colored diarrhea We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the... (10728 views)