Aggressive cat.

Breed: Calico
I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and attacking my other cat and me as well. It seems to be if she gets spooked or perceives she's backed into a corner. It is terrifying for both of us, she is vicious in her attacks. I tried the fermone spray which seemed to calm her, but last night she got scared and attacked us both again. She nearly got my eye, and I wondered if there was any options other then putting her down? I can't risk serious injury to myself or the other cat.

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that this is happening. Cat aggression can be very difficult to deal with.

The feliway spray is definitely a good idea. Have you tried the plugin? It is like a Glade Plugin and it emits pheromones for about a month or so.

You may want to talk to your vet about some behavioral modification medication such as amitryptiline or clomicalm. For many cats it works really well.

It's also a good idea to have a general physical exam done. Sometimes if cats are in pain or not feeling well they can get aggressive.

And finally, I am assuming she is spayed, but if not then definitely do this. Hormones can cause all sorts of bad behavior.

I hope she does ok!

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (14739 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9162 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (6820 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (13902 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (5214 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (10740 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (18983 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (12105 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (32339 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (28274 views)