Dog's penis out of sheath.

Breed: Chihuahua
My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and I paid $50 for an exam and all they told me was to keep it cleaned and to keep KY jelly on it 10 times a day. It is not helping and I do not know what else to do. I love my baby and I have no more money what so ever due to helping my moms heart surgery. I need help. Any information will help. I'm just hurting just by looking at him and he looks so uncomfortable. I want to help him but I do not know how. He is 11 months and has not been neutered. AND he only has..one nut...poor baby..please help :/

I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to your dog. This may be a condition called paraphimosis where the penis is constantly out of the protective sheath.

Unfortunately if this is what it is, it can be very difficult to deal with. For some dogs, cleaning it and lubricating it with KY jelly to place it back in the sheath will work. However, many dogs will need some type of surgery in order to cure this.

Sometimes the surgery can be relatively simple. In some cases there is a little band of tissue that can be cut and this will solve the problem. But, in many cases there has to be major reconstructive surgery and this can unfortunately become quite expensive.

It is definitely a serious problem because the longer the penis stays out of the sheath, the more damaged and swollen it will become.

You may find, however, that neutering really helps him. The testosterone he is producing will give him erections and this is going to contribute to the problem.

As an aside, if he only has one testicle descended he definitely needs to be neutered. See more information here: Cryptorchidism in dogs.

I wish I had better news for you.

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (5862 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (5041 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (26691 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (5246 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (23094 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (15527 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (10658 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (12911 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (10467 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (6353 views)