Dog's penis out of sheath.

Breed: Chihuahua
My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and I paid $50 for an exam and all they told me was to keep it cleaned and to keep KY jelly on it 10 times a day. It is not helping and I do not know what else to do. I love my baby and I have no more money what so ever due to helping my moms heart surgery. I need help. Any information will help. I'm just hurting just by looking at him and he looks so uncomfortable. I want to help him but I do not know how. He is 11 months and has not been neutered. AND he only has..one nut...poor baby..please help :/

I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to your dog. This may be a condition called paraphimosis where the penis is constantly out of the protective sheath.

Unfortunately if this is what it is, it can be very difficult to deal with. For some dogs, cleaning it and lubricating it with KY jelly to place it back in the sheath will work. However, many dogs will need some type of surgery in order to cure this.

Sometimes the surgery can be relatively simple. In some cases there is a little band of tissue that can be cut and this will solve the problem. But, in many cases there has to be major reconstructive surgery and this can unfortunately become quite expensive.

It is definitely a serious problem because the longer the penis stays out of the sheath, the more damaged and swollen it will become.

You may find, however, that neutering really helps him. The testosterone he is producing will give him erections and this is going to contribute to the problem.

As an aside, if he only has one testicle descended he definitely needs to be neutered. See more information here: Cryptorchidism in dogs.

I wish I had better news for you.

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (4941 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (8783 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (7587 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (8200 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (6101 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (6516 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (11435 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (29627 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (3738 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (6418 views)