Dog's penis out of sheath.

Breed: Chihuahua
My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and I paid $50 for an exam and all they told me was to keep it cleaned and to keep KY jelly on it 10 times a day. It is not helping and I do not know what else to do. I love my baby and I have no more money what so ever due to helping my moms heart surgery. I need help. Any information will help. I'm just hurting just by looking at him and he looks so uncomfortable. I want to help him but I do not know how. He is 11 months and has not been neutered. AND he only has..one nut...poor baby..please help :/

I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to your dog. This may be a condition called paraphimosis where the penis is constantly out of the protective sheath.

Unfortunately if this is what it is, it can be very difficult to deal with. For some dogs, cleaning it and lubricating it with KY jelly to place it back in the sheath will work. However, many dogs will need some type of surgery in order to cure this.

Sometimes the surgery can be relatively simple. In some cases there is a little band of tissue that can be cut and this will solve the problem. But, in many cases there has to be major reconstructive surgery and this can unfortunately become quite expensive.

It is definitely a serious problem because the longer the penis stays out of the sheath, the more damaged and swollen it will become.

You may find, however, that neutering really helps him. The testosterone he is producing will give him erections and this is going to contribute to the problem.

As an aside, if he only has one testicle descended he definitely needs to be neutered. See more information here: Cryptorchidism in dogs.

I wish I had better news for you.

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (16785 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (16013 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (8227 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (7187 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6252 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (7362 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (24234 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (14781 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (29009 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (9952 views)