Dog's penis out of sheath.

Breed: Chihuahua
My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and I paid $50 for an exam and all they told me was to keep it cleaned and to keep KY jelly on it 10 times a day. It is not helping and I do not know what else to do. I love my baby and I have no more money what so ever due to helping my moms heart surgery. I need help. Any information will help. I'm just hurting just by looking at him and he looks so uncomfortable. I want to help him but I do not know how. He is 11 months and has not been neutered. AND he only has..one nut...poor baby..please help :/

I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to your dog. This may be a condition called paraphimosis where the penis is constantly out of the protective sheath.

Unfortunately if this is what it is, it can be very difficult to deal with. For some dogs, cleaning it and lubricating it with KY jelly to place it back in the sheath will work. However, many dogs will need some type of surgery in order to cure this.

Sometimes the surgery can be relatively simple. In some cases there is a little band of tissue that can be cut and this will solve the problem. But, in many cases there has to be major reconstructive surgery and this can unfortunately become quite expensive.

It is definitely a serious problem because the longer the penis stays out of the sheath, the more damaged and swollen it will become.

You may find, however, that neutering really helps him. The testosterone he is producing will give him erections and this is going to contribute to the problem.

As an aside, if he only has one testicle descended he definitely needs to be neutered. See more information here: Cryptorchidism in dogs.

I wish I had better news for you.

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (21069 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (10828 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (23617 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (5694 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (9017 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (6316 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (10481 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (38258 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (9229 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (11008 views)