Dog's penis out of sheath.

Breed: Chihuahua
My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and I paid $50 for an exam and all they told me was to keep it cleaned and to keep KY jelly on it 10 times a day. It is not helping and I do not know what else to do. I love my baby and I have no more money what so ever due to helping my moms heart surgery. I need help. Any information will help. I'm just hurting just by looking at him and he looks so uncomfortable. I want to help him but I do not know how. He is 11 months and has not been neutered. AND he only has..one nut...poor baby..please help :/

I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to your dog. This may be a condition called paraphimosis where the penis is constantly out of the protective sheath.

Unfortunately if this is what it is, it can be very difficult to deal with. For some dogs, cleaning it and lubricating it with KY jelly to place it back in the sheath will work. However, many dogs will need some type of surgery in order to cure this.

Sometimes the surgery can be relatively simple. In some cases there is a little band of tissue that can be cut and this will solve the problem. But, in many cases there has to be major reconstructive surgery and this can unfortunately become quite expensive.

It is definitely a serious problem because the longer the penis stays out of the sheath, the more damaged and swollen it will become.

You may find, however, that neutering really helps him. The testosterone he is producing will give him erections and this is going to contribute to the problem.

As an aside, if he only has one testicle descended he definitely needs to be neutered. See more information here: Cryptorchidism in dogs.

I wish I had better news for you.

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (10333 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (33243 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (28832 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (9769 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (11422 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (13667 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (20088 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (13719 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (14472 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (15085 views)