Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

What caused my cat to die?

Species: Cat
Breed: Short-Haired
Age: 5-8 years
Hello Dr. Marie -

I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van, sprawled out as if he were sleeping. There was dried blood under it's head and a lot dried in a clump on his nose. The blood under it's head seemed to be just from it's nose. His mouth was closed and his eyes were partially open. I didn't see anything wrong externally.

I found him Sunday 7:00 am and the last time we saw him it was 3:30 am Saturday morning. He had killed a little field mouse.

What could he have died from? Poison? Car? Aneurysm?He's an outdoor cat and goes in and out all night. Roams around our backyard. I thought it was strange he was under the neighbors van...he usually doesn't go over there because that neighbor doesn't particularly like our cats. But, I know people say when a pet is hurt or dying, they will go off on their own, away from their owners. Not sure though.
He has had that blockage that male cats get in their intestines or urinary tract I believe, but he wasn't acting like he did when he had that, so I do not think that was a factor at all.

I just hope you can provide me with a little more insight on what could of happned. It's hard not knowing.

Thanks for reading.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away.

I won't be able to say for sure why he died, but I can give you my thoughts on what you have written.

I am concerned that there may have been some type of trauma. If he was bleeding from the nose it may be that he suffered a head trauma. The most likely cause would be a vehicle accident. It's possible that he was injured and then tried to find a quiet place to go and ended up passing away under the van.

If he eats mice, it is possible that he ate a mouse who had eaten rat poison. This poison can cause an animal to bleed. However, it would be a little unusual to just see blood coming from the nose and not anywhere else.

It doesn't sound like it would be related to a urinary tract blockage.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (6593 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (6730 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (25220 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (13399 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (19364 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (13909 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (15392 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (13963 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (12223 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (16907 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.