What caused my cat to die?

Breed: Short-Haired
Hello Dr. Marie -

I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van, sprawled out as if he were sleeping. There was dried blood under it's head and a lot dried in a clump on his nose. The blood under it's head seemed to be just from it's nose. His mouth was closed and his eyes were partially open. I didn't see anything wrong externally.

I found him Sunday 7:00 am and the last time we saw him it was 3:30 am Saturday morning. He had killed a little field mouse.

What could he have died from? Poison? Car? Aneurysm?He's an outdoor cat and goes in and out all night. Roams around our backyard. I thought it was strange he was under the neighbors van...he usually doesn't go over there because that neighbor doesn't particularly like our cats. But, I know people say when a pet is hurt or dying, they will go off on their own, away from their owners. Not sure though.
He has had that blockage that male cats get in their intestines or urinary tract I believe, but he wasn't acting like he did when he had that, so I do not think that was a factor at all.

I just hope you can provide me with a little more insight on what could of happned. It's hard not knowing.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away.

I won't be able to say for sure why he died, but I can give you my thoughts on what you have written.

I am concerned that there may have been some type of trauma. If he was bleeding from the nose it may be that he suffered a head trauma. The most likely cause would be a vehicle accident. It's possible that he was injured and then tried to find a quiet place to go and ended up passing away under the van.

If he eats mice, it is possible that he ate a mouse who had eaten rat poison. This poison can cause an animal to bleed. However, it would be a little unusual to just see blood coming from the nose and not anywhere else.

It doesn't sound like it would be related to a urinary tract blockage.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15045 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (8228 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6009 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (8015 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (8969 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6342 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (11428 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (10902 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (20321 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (20467 views)