What caused my cat to die?

Breed: Short-Haired
Hello Dr. Marie -

I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van, sprawled out as if he were sleeping. There was dried blood under it's head and a lot dried in a clump on his nose. The blood under it's head seemed to be just from it's nose. His mouth was closed and his eyes were partially open. I didn't see anything wrong externally.

I found him Sunday 7:00 am and the last time we saw him it was 3:30 am Saturday morning. He had killed a little field mouse.

What could he have died from? Poison? Car? Aneurysm?He's an outdoor cat and goes in and out all night. Roams around our backyard. I thought it was strange he was under the neighbors van...he usually doesn't go over there because that neighbor doesn't particularly like our cats. But, I know people say when a pet is hurt or dying, they will go off on their own, away from their owners. Not sure though.
He has had that blockage that male cats get in their intestines or urinary tract I believe, but he wasn't acting like he did when he had that, so I do not think that was a factor at all.

I just hope you can provide me with a little more insight on what could of happned. It's hard not knowing.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away.

I won't be able to say for sure why he died, but I can give you my thoughts on what you have written.

I am concerned that there may have been some type of trauma. If he was bleeding from the nose it may be that he suffered a head trauma. The most likely cause would be a vehicle accident. It's possible that he was injured and then tried to find a quiet place to go and ended up passing away under the van.

If he eats mice, it is possible that he ate a mouse who had eaten rat poison. This poison can cause an animal to bleed. However, it would be a little unusual to just see blood coming from the nose and not anywhere else.

It doesn't sound like it would be related to a urinary tract blockage.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (2811 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (7358 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (5369 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (7068 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (28764 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (5000 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (7952 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (6585 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (19201 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (6118 views)