What caused my cat to die?

Breed: Short-Haired
Hello Dr. Marie -

I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van, sprawled out as if he were sleeping. There was dried blood under it's head and a lot dried in a clump on his nose. The blood under it's head seemed to be just from it's nose. His mouth was closed and his eyes were partially open. I didn't see anything wrong externally.

I found him Sunday 7:00 am and the last time we saw him it was 3:30 am Saturday morning. He had killed a little field mouse.

What could he have died from? Poison? Car? Aneurysm?He's an outdoor cat and goes in and out all night. Roams around our backyard. I thought it was strange he was under the neighbors van...he usually doesn't go over there because that neighbor doesn't particularly like our cats. But, I know people say when a pet is hurt or dying, they will go off on their own, away from their owners. Not sure though.
He has had that blockage that male cats get in their intestines or urinary tract I believe, but he wasn't acting like he did when he had that, so I do not think that was a factor at all.

I just hope you can provide me with a little more insight on what could of happned. It's hard not knowing.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away.

I won't be able to say for sure why he died, but I can give you my thoughts on what you have written.

I am concerned that there may have been some type of trauma. If he was bleeding from the nose it may be that he suffered a head trauma. The most likely cause would be a vehicle accident. It's possible that he was injured and then tried to find a quiet place to go and ended up passing away under the van.

If he eats mice, it is possible that he ate a mouse who had eaten rat poison. This poison can cause an animal to bleed. However, it would be a little unusual to just see blood coming from the nose and not anywhere else.

It doesn't sound like it would be related to a urinary tract blockage.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (27424 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (26574 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (8348 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (8004 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (10089 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (3930 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (5788 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (22258 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (4563 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (22087 views)