What caused my cat to die?

Breed: Short-Haired
Hello Dr. Marie -

I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van, sprawled out as if he were sleeping. There was dried blood under it's head and a lot dried in a clump on his nose. The blood under it's head seemed to be just from it's nose. His mouth was closed and his eyes were partially open. I didn't see anything wrong externally.

I found him Sunday 7:00 am and the last time we saw him it was 3:30 am Saturday morning. He had killed a little field mouse.

What could he have died from? Poison? Car? Aneurysm?He's an outdoor cat and goes in and out all night. Roams around our backyard. I thought it was strange he was under the neighbors van...he usually doesn't go over there because that neighbor doesn't particularly like our cats. But, I know people say when a pet is hurt or dying, they will go off on their own, away from their owners. Not sure though.
He has had that blockage that male cats get in their intestines or urinary tract I believe, but he wasn't acting like he did when he had that, so I do not think that was a factor at all.

I just hope you can provide me with a little more insight on what could of happned. It's hard not knowing.

Thanks for reading.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away.

I won't be able to say for sure why he died, but I can give you my thoughts on what you have written.

I am concerned that there may have been some type of trauma. If he was bleeding from the nose it may be that he suffered a head trauma. The most likely cause would be a vehicle accident. It's possible that he was injured and then tried to find a quiet place to go and ended up passing away under the van.

If he eats mice, it is possible that he ate a mouse who had eaten rat poison. This poison can cause an animal to bleed. However, it would be a little unusual to just see blood coming from the nose and not anywhere else.

It doesn't sound like it would be related to a urinary tract blockage.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (10006 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (3697 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (26378 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (17841 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (2510 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (5955 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (4409 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (7788 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (7232 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (3826 views)