What caused my cat to die?

Breed: Short-Haired
Hello Dr. Marie -

I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van, sprawled out as if he were sleeping. There was dried blood under it's head and a lot dried in a clump on his nose. The blood under it's head seemed to be just from it's nose. His mouth was closed and his eyes were partially open. I didn't see anything wrong externally.

I found him Sunday 7:00 am and the last time we saw him it was 3:30 am Saturday morning. He had killed a little field mouse.

What could he have died from? Poison? Car? Aneurysm?He's an outdoor cat and goes in and out all night. Roams around our backyard. I thought it was strange he was under the neighbors van...he usually doesn't go over there because that neighbor doesn't particularly like our cats. But, I know people say when a pet is hurt or dying, they will go off on their own, away from their owners. Not sure though.
He has had that blockage that male cats get in their intestines or urinary tract I believe, but he wasn't acting like he did when he had that, so I do not think that was a factor at all.

I just hope you can provide me with a little more insight on what could of happned. It's hard not knowing.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your cat passed away.

I won't be able to say for sure why he died, but I can give you my thoughts on what you have written.

I am concerned that there may have been some type of trauma. If he was bleeding from the nose it may be that he suffered a head trauma. The most likely cause would be a vehicle accident. It's possible that he was injured and then tried to find a quiet place to go and ended up passing away under the van.

If he eats mice, it is possible that he ate a mouse who had eaten rat poison. This poison can cause an animal to bleed. However, it would be a little unusual to just see blood coming from the nose and not anywhere else.

It doesn't sound like it would be related to a urinary tract blockage.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (7474 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (33942 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (147096 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (9110 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (12192 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (8988 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (10530 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (9314 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (5704 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (6616 views)