Black spot or scab on dog's nose.

Breed: Beagle
Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister said it's probably a scratch from a cat however I don't think it is...I can send a picture of you'd like.

If you can send a picture, that would be great. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Also, does the lump seem to be bothering your dog?

I sent the picture already, no he doesn't seem bothered by it just when I touch it he moves his face the opposite direction...

Thank you, I hadn't realized that you had already sent one. These are excellent photographs:

BEFORE
black spot on dog's nose

AFTER
scab on dog's nose

This is an odd looking thing for sure! My best guess is that this was some type of infection that has now scabbed over and is healing. But, I can't say that with certainty. There really isn't a known medical condition that would cause a black spot like this and then a scab.

I think that this is unlikely to be any sort of cancerous growth.

If it is an infected area, it may be already on its way to healing. I really wouldn't do much to try to treat it as creams will not help. But, if it is not healing or if you are seeing more scabbing or a green or yellow discharge then I'd have a vet take a look as he may need antibiotics.

One other possibility is for some type of autoimmune disease such as discoid lupus or pemphigus. However, this doesn't usually affect the top of the nose like this.

I'd keep an eye on things for now and if they're not improving I'd have your vet take a look.

Thank you doctor Marie I will keep an eye out for it and if it doesn't heal I will have his vet look at it!

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (13999 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (13057 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (43473 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6490 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5434 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (45406 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (14863 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5919 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (13367 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (24586 views)