Black spot or scab on dog's nose.

Breed: Beagle
Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister said it's probably a scratch from a cat however I don't think it is...I can send a picture of you'd like.

If you can send a picture, that would be great. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Also, does the lump seem to be bothering your dog?

I sent the picture already, no he doesn't seem bothered by it just when I touch it he moves his face the opposite direction...

Thank you, I hadn't realized that you had already sent one. These are excellent photographs:

BEFORE
black spot on dog's nose

AFTER
scab on dog's nose

This is an odd looking thing for sure! My best guess is that this was some type of infection that has now scabbed over and is healing. But, I can't say that with certainty. There really isn't a known medical condition that would cause a black spot like this and then a scab.

I think that this is unlikely to be any sort of cancerous growth.

If it is an infected area, it may be already on its way to healing. I really wouldn't do much to try to treat it as creams will not help. But, if it is not healing or if you are seeing more scabbing or a green or yellow discharge then I'd have a vet take a look as he may need antibiotics.

One other possibility is for some type of autoimmune disease such as discoid lupus or pemphigus. However, this doesn't usually affect the top of the nose like this.

I'd keep an eye on things for now and if they're not improving I'd have your vet take a look.

Thank you doctor Marie I will keep an eye out for it and if it doesn't heal I will have his vet look at it!

Cat peed on my bed. My neutered male cat has peed on my bed twice now. I've had him for almost a year... (9027 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (12059 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (13265 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (20933 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (15331 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (13519 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (7989 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (13205 views)

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (12069 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (9205 views)