Black spot or scab on dog's nose.

Breed: Beagle
Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister said it's probably a scratch from a cat however I don't think it is...I can send a picture of you'd like.

If you can send a picture, that would be great. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Also, does the lump seem to be bothering your dog?

I sent the picture already, no he doesn't seem bothered by it just when I touch it he moves his face the opposite direction...

Thank you, I hadn't realized that you had already sent one. These are excellent photographs:

BEFORE
black spot on dog's nose

AFTER
scab on dog's nose

This is an odd looking thing for sure! My best guess is that this was some type of infection that has now scabbed over and is healing. But, I can't say that with certainty. There really isn't a known medical condition that would cause a black spot like this and then a scab.

I think that this is unlikely to be any sort of cancerous growth.

If it is an infected area, it may be already on its way to healing. I really wouldn't do much to try to treat it as creams will not help. But, if it is not healing or if you are seeing more scabbing or a green or yellow discharge then I'd have a vet take a look as he may need antibiotics.

One other possibility is for some type of autoimmune disease such as discoid lupus or pemphigus. However, this doesn't usually affect the top of the nose like this.

I'd keep an eye on things for now and if they're not improving I'd have your vet take a look.

Thank you doctor Marie I will keep an eye out for it and if it doesn't heal I will have his vet look at it!

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (13146 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (6585 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (225847 views)

Small puppy. Rnt? Hi, I just purchased a purebred BullMastiff puppy. He is very happy and seems to... (35032 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (23647 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (7276 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (15430 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (17675 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (14480 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (17891 views)