Arthritis in elbow.

Breed: German Shepherd mix
My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has progressively been getting worse, was just after high activity and in the mornings. However, now it is all the time. We had X-rays done of all of her joints and they showed arthritis in the hip (only 1 because she had an FHO when she was 6 months, she was hit by a car. since the surgery she has never had a problem with that hip). However, the X-rays showed only a small amount of arthritis in her elbows of the front legs, but nothing to explain the severe pain in her elbow when manipulating it or not enough to explain the limping. The Vet started her on Metacam but she is not able to tolerate it. She only had one dose that she was able to keep down, 2nd and 3rd doses she threw up and then continued to vomit. I gave her a pepcid AC, per the Vet's advice and she seems to be ok, however her leg is no better, maybe even worse. The Vet now wants to wait and see if she has any improvement on her own. I do not want to wait, I waited for 3 weeks before I brought her in to see if her limp got better...hoping it was a strain or sprain, but it only got worse. I want to do something to help her but I don't know what to do. Should I bring her Xrays to a different Vet?

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Cartamil, but I will give you some of my thoughts.

Sometimes arthritis in the elbows can be very difficult to grade by looking at xrays. Sometimes dogs can have extreme pain with only minor changes on xray. (I have seen the opposite where dogs have horrible looking elbows on their xray but are not terribly painful.)

So, this definitely could be all due to arthritis.

If she's still limping then I don't like the idea of waiting.

Here are a few options. You could ask your vet for a different type of NSAID. Metacam is an excellent arthritis drug but some dogs do get stomach upset when they are on it. I have found that some dogs do better on a drug called Previcox. Another alternative is to use a drug that is called Tramadol. It works in a different way but can be quite effective.

I have also had good success with treating arthritis with Cartrophen (also called Adequan) injections. I'll often do this along with the other medications mentioned above.

If you have the budget for it, it would be great to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary orthopedic surgeon. A surgeon can give you their opinion on the xrays. Often they will see things that a regular vet can't see.

My orthopedic surgeon does a surgical procedure called a SHO (sliding humeral osteotomy) for dogs with elbow problems. It has quite a good success rate at relieving pain, but it can be expensive.

I really hope she is feeling better soon!

Related: Can you give a dog Advil?

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (10045 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (8519 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (8750 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (16454 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (8699 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (9169 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (18885 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (17991 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (10217 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (32530 views)