Arthritis in elbow.

Breed: German Shepherd mix
My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has progressively been getting worse, was just after high activity and in the mornings. However, now it is all the time. We had X-rays done of all of her joints and they showed arthritis in the hip (only 1 because she had an FHO when she was 6 months, she was hit by a car. since the surgery she has never had a problem with that hip). However, the X-rays showed only a small amount of arthritis in her elbows of the front legs, but nothing to explain the severe pain in her elbow when manipulating it or not enough to explain the limping. The Vet started her on Metacam but she is not able to tolerate it. She only had one dose that she was able to keep down, 2nd and 3rd doses she threw up and then continued to vomit. I gave her a pepcid AC, per the Vet's advice and she seems to be ok, however her leg is no better, maybe even worse. The Vet now wants to wait and see if she has any improvement on her own. I do not want to wait, I waited for 3 weeks before I brought her in to see if her limp got better...hoping it was a strain or sprain, but it only got worse. I want to do something to help her but I don't know what to do. Should I bring her Xrays to a different Vet?

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Cartamil, but I will give you some of my thoughts.

Sometimes arthritis in the elbows can be very difficult to grade by looking at xrays. Sometimes dogs can have extreme pain with only minor changes on xray. (I have seen the opposite where dogs have horrible looking elbows on their xray but are not terribly painful.)

So, this definitely could be all due to arthritis.

If she's still limping then I don't like the idea of waiting.

Here are a few options. You could ask your vet for a different type of NSAID. Metacam is an excellent arthritis drug but some dogs do get stomach upset when they are on it. I have found that some dogs do better on a drug called Previcox. Another alternative is to use a drug that is called Tramadol. It works in a different way but can be quite effective.

I have also had good success with treating arthritis with Cartrophen (also called Adequan) injections. I'll often do this along with the other medications mentioned above.

If you have the budget for it, it would be great to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary orthopedic surgeon. A surgeon can give you their opinion on the xrays. Often they will see things that a regular vet can't see.

My orthopedic surgeon does a surgical procedure called a SHO (sliding humeral osteotomy) for dogs with elbow problems. It has quite a good success rate at relieving pain, but it can be expensive.

I really hope she is feeling better soon!

Related: Can you give a dog Advil?

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5176 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (16587 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (21846 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (7725 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (14213 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (10801 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (11872 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14263 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (5162 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (8491 views)