Ear swollen like balloon.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking her head non-stop and looks really sore. I don't think this is an ear infection. Do I need to see the vet?

Hi there and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that your dog is not well!

While I can't say for sure what is going on with your dog, what you have described certainly sounds like something called an aural hematoma.

Often we can't find the cause of an aural hematoma, but sometimes it can be there because the dog has been shaking her head because of an ear infection. If there is an ear infection you will see debris inside the ear and possibly smell an odor.

The swelling is actually a collection of blood that forms between the skin and the cartilage of the ear. This is actually quite a painful thing to have.

The next question is what to do. Really, she does need to see the vet. Dogs who are not treated for this will eventually have the swelling go down, but we will end up with quite severe scarring on the ear. Also, it may take some time and she will be in pain for most of this time.

Most vets treat this by doing surgery to remove the fluid and then suture the skin to the cartilage in several spots so there is no chance for fluid to accumulate again.

However, some vets (including myself) are finding that these hematomas will often resolve when the dog is given oral steroids. This is much less expensive and seems to work fairly quickly. You can talk to your vet about all of the options.

Hope she does ok!

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (36344 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (6516 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (10607 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (9265 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (7032 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (5493 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (22841 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (8020 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (14766 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (12920 views)