Ear swollen like balloon.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking her head non-stop and looks really sore. I don't think this is an ear infection. Do I need to see the vet?

Hi there and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that your dog is not well!

While I can't say for sure what is going on with your dog, what you have described certainly sounds like something called an aural hematoma.

Often we can't find the cause of an aural hematoma, but sometimes it can be there because the dog has been shaking her head because of an ear infection. If there is an ear infection you will see debris inside the ear and possibly smell an odor.

The swelling is actually a collection of blood that forms between the skin and the cartilage of the ear. This is actually quite a painful thing to have.

The next question is what to do. Really, she does need to see the vet. Dogs who are not treated for this will eventually have the swelling go down, but we will end up with quite severe scarring on the ear. Also, it may take some time and she will be in pain for most of this time.

Most vets treat this by doing surgery to remove the fluid and then suture the skin to the cartilage in several spots so there is no chance for fluid to accumulate again.

However, some vets (including myself) are finding that these hematomas will often resolve when the dog is given oral steroids. This is much less expensive and seems to work fairly quickly. You can talk to your vet about all of the options.

Hope she does ok!

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (8402 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (7949 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (12053 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (7363 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (7079 views)

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (12977 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (32497 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (7439 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (6652 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (12544 views)