Paralyzed dog now walking

Breed: miniature dachshund
Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and he gave her a massive cortisone shot and put her on prednisone and pain killers. She is doing much better now. She is able to walk again with help and not in pain. I have been making her back legs bend, at the knees, because otherwise they just stay straight out. I do that a couple of times a day. I also set her up on her back legs and let her walk about 5 feet. She seems fine but am I making her do too much, too soon?

Oh I am sorry to hear that Emma is having these problems, but very glad to hear that she is making some recovery.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. If you are pushing her too much with physiotherapy she will let you know. If she seems to be tolerating this therapy well then go ahead and continue at this rate.

You may also want to consider taking her swimming. Moving her legs in the water is excellent exercise for her and having the exercise without any gravitational forces is really good for her.

You could also consider asking your vet for a referral to a veterinary chiropractor. I find these vets can do wonders for dogs with back issues.

I hope she continues to improve!

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8905 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (9235 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36871 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (22020 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (12254 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (4980 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10734 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8444 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (10269 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (21984 views)