Paralyzed dog now walking

Breed: miniature dachshund
Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and he gave her a massive cortisone shot and put her on prednisone and pain killers. She is doing much better now. She is able to walk again with help and not in pain. I have been making her back legs bend, at the knees, because otherwise they just stay straight out. I do that a couple of times a day. I also set her up on her back legs and let her walk about 5 feet. She seems fine but am I making her do too much, too soon?

Oh I am sorry to hear that Emma is having these problems, but very glad to hear that she is making some recovery.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. If you are pushing her too much with physiotherapy she will let you know. If she seems to be tolerating this therapy well then go ahead and continue at this rate.

You may also want to consider taking her swimming. Moving her legs in the water is excellent exercise for her and having the exercise without any gravitational forces is really good for her.

You could also consider asking your vet for a referral to a veterinary chiropractor. I find these vets can do wonders for dogs with back issues.

I hope she continues to improve!

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5799 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5124 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (15683 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6606 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (6156 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7722 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (9127 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9428 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (6766 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (19890 views)