Paralyzed dog now walking

Breed: miniature dachshund
Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and he gave her a massive cortisone shot and put her on prednisone and pain killers. She is doing much better now. She is able to walk again with help and not in pain. I have been making her back legs bend, at the knees, because otherwise they just stay straight out. I do that a couple of times a day. I also set her up on her back legs and let her walk about 5 feet. She seems fine but am I making her do too much, too soon?

Oh I am sorry to hear that Emma is having these problems, but very glad to hear that she is making some recovery.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. If you are pushing her too much with physiotherapy she will let you know. If she seems to be tolerating this therapy well then go ahead and continue at this rate.

You may also want to consider taking her swimming. Moving her legs in the water is excellent exercise for her and having the exercise without any gravitational forces is really good for her.

You could also consider asking your vet for a referral to a veterinary chiropractor. I find these vets can do wonders for dogs with back issues.

I hope she continues to improve!

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (13391 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (10149 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (8237 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (15115 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (11350 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (12625 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (23599 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (11923 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (10792 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (11440 views)