Paralyzed dog now walking

Breed: miniature dachshund
Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and he gave her a massive cortisone shot and put her on prednisone and pain killers. She is doing much better now. She is able to walk again with help and not in pain. I have been making her back legs bend, at the knees, because otherwise they just stay straight out. I do that a couple of times a day. I also set her up on her back legs and let her walk about 5 feet. She seems fine but am I making her do too much, too soon?

Oh I am sorry to hear that Emma is having these problems, but very glad to hear that she is making some recovery.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. If you are pushing her too much with physiotherapy she will let you know. If she seems to be tolerating this therapy well then go ahead and continue at this rate.

You may also want to consider taking her swimming. Moving her legs in the water is excellent exercise for her and having the exercise without any gravitational forces is really good for her.

You could also consider asking your vet for a referral to a veterinary chiropractor. I find these vets can do wonders for dogs with back issues.

I hope she continues to improve!

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (13935 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (16315 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (7063 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19060 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (17684 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4785 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (7469 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9279 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (147252 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (42655 views)