Paralyzed dog now walking

Breed: miniature dachshund
Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and he gave her a massive cortisone shot and put her on prednisone and pain killers. She is doing much better now. She is able to walk again with help and not in pain. I have been making her back legs bend, at the knees, because otherwise they just stay straight out. I do that a couple of times a day. I also set her up on her back legs and let her walk about 5 feet. She seems fine but am I making her do too much, too soon?

Oh I am sorry to hear that Emma is having these problems, but very glad to hear that she is making some recovery.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. If you are pushing her too much with physiotherapy she will let you know. If she seems to be tolerating this therapy well then go ahead and continue at this rate.

You may also want to consider taking her swimming. Moving her legs in the water is excellent exercise for her and having the exercise without any gravitational forces is really good for her.

You could also consider asking your vet for a referral to a veterinary chiropractor. I find these vets can do wonders for dogs with back issues.

I hope she continues to improve!

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (9462 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (19142 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (11563 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (20993 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (9426 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (15176 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (26982 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (18242 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (22821 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (59512 views)