lump on spay incision

Breed: Golden Retriever
Hello Dr. Marie,
Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful except at one end she developed a boil blister type thing that came to a head a popped and bled a little. She had suture reaction last time she had sutures for a cut and it looks exactly the same. It is very small not even as big as a pencil eraser. I was just wondering if I need to take her in to get oral antibiotics or if I should just watch it or what. She can't get to it to lick it at all. It does not seem painful when i wiped it off and put a little neosporin on it. I just worry about every little thing with my baby.
Thanks for your time,
Lisa

P.s. She was spayed with a laser if that makes a difference, and the vet said she was just beginning heat (which I hadn't realized, there were no external signs)

I think I know exactly what you are tlking about. If I see a little bubble at the end of an incision it is usually a reaction to the knot at the end of the suture line. This is usually nothing to get worried about.

If there was an infection you would be seeing that the incision is red and very sore.

If she is doing well it is likely ok to keep an eye on things. If it's getting bothersome or if she loses her appetite or if your gut just tells you someting is wrong then I'd have her seen.

Well the bubble itself is very red but the rest of the incision looks wonderful. She is doing very well (too well) she tries to be active.It is right by the knot at the end od the suture line.
Lisa

Yes, this definitely sounds like a little suture knot reaction. You may find that the bubble bursts open. If so, just clean it a few times a day with a warm wet cloth. There's no need for neosporin - it won't do much.

If it bursts open and you are seeing a yellow or green discharge then I would take her in to be seen.

Well I've been cleaning it but when I just looked at it there was some pus oozing out. And it does look a little larger and redder. Is this an emergency or can I wait to take her in until tomorrow?
Thanks Lisa

Hi Lisa. Oh, it does sound like it could be infected. But, it definitely doesn't sound like an emergency. Keep wiping it as necessary and have your vet take a look tomorrow.

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (9067 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (10787 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (44960 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (6502 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10389 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (9974 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (4390 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (9118 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (32083 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (14731 views)