Keep ringworm positive cat secluded?

Breed: tabby
Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had some spots on him that looked liked it so we treated him with oral and topical medication. My vet also took a culture and sent it out. I took my cat back to the vet yesterday (after 3 weeks) and they said spots look great, but took another culture just to be sure. Well they called me today and said the first culture finally came back and it was negative. Now I'm wondering if my cat had ringworm at all? Do you think I should keep him separate still until the next culture comes back or would it be ok to let him out since the first one came back negative?

This is really a tough question to answer because we likely will never really know.

A fungal culture is generally pretty accurate when it comes to diagnosing ringworm. However, there still is the potential for false negatives. False negatives usually come from user error such as not collecting the sample properly or not storing the test properly.

Still, if your vet really felt like this was ringworm, then it was definitely appropriate to do another test and unfortunately, yes, I would advise keeping the cats separate until you get those results.

If you get negative results (i.e. no ringworm) on two tests in a row then I'd feel comfortable that ringworm was not the cause. But, just in case there was a false positive on the initial test, it really is best to keep the cats separated. Otherwise you'll likely need to go through treatment with the second cat and possibly may even need to retreat the first cat.

Hopefully everything comes out clear!

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (10042 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (11019 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8629 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (14163 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (19956 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (8302 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (8563 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (9255 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (14476 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5603 views)