Keep ringworm positive cat secluded?

Breed: tabby
Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had some spots on him that looked liked it so we treated him with oral and topical medication. My vet also took a culture and sent it out. I took my cat back to the vet yesterday (after 3 weeks) and they said spots look great, but took another culture just to be sure. Well they called me today and said the first culture finally came back and it was negative. Now I'm wondering if my cat had ringworm at all? Do you think I should keep him separate still until the next culture comes back or would it be ok to let him out since the first one came back negative?

This is really a tough question to answer because we likely will never really know.

A fungal culture is generally pretty accurate when it comes to diagnosing ringworm. However, there still is the potential for false negatives. False negatives usually come from user error such as not collecting the sample properly or not storing the test properly.

Still, if your vet really felt like this was ringworm, then it was definitely appropriate to do another test and unfortunately, yes, I would advise keeping the cats separate until you get those results.

If you get negative results (i.e. no ringworm) on two tests in a row then I'd feel comfortable that ringworm was not the cause. But, just in case there was a false positive on the initial test, it really is best to keep the cats separated. Otherwise you'll likely need to go through treatment with the second cat and possibly may even need to retreat the first cat.

Hopefully everything comes out clear!

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6522 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16160 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5597 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7798 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (10400 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (4152 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (22409 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9565 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (55777 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (10060 views)