Keep ringworm positive cat secluded?

Breed: tabby
Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had some spots on him that looked liked it so we treated him with oral and topical medication. My vet also took a culture and sent it out. I took my cat back to the vet yesterday (after 3 weeks) and they said spots look great, but took another culture just to be sure. Well they called me today and said the first culture finally came back and it was negative. Now I'm wondering if my cat had ringworm at all? Do you think I should keep him separate still until the next culture comes back or would it be ok to let him out since the first one came back negative?

This is really a tough question to answer because we likely will never really know.

A fungal culture is generally pretty accurate when it comes to diagnosing ringworm. However, there still is the potential for false negatives. False negatives usually come from user error such as not collecting the sample properly or not storing the test properly.

Still, if your vet really felt like this was ringworm, then it was definitely appropriate to do another test and unfortunately, yes, I would advise keeping the cats separate until you get those results.

If you get negative results (i.e. no ringworm) on two tests in a row then I'd feel comfortable that ringworm was not the cause. But, just in case there was a false positive on the initial test, it really is best to keep the cats separated. Otherwise you'll likely need to go through treatment with the second cat and possibly may even need to retreat the first cat.

Hopefully everything comes out clear!

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (12775 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (8592 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16222 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (13610 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (33184 views)

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (12206 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6614 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13496 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10241 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9077 views)