Open sore with black center.

Breed: great pyrenees
My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In the center of the soar there is a smaller black dot. I have tried to pull it out with tweezers but it doesn't appear to be something that I can pull out. Do you have any ideas what it could be or what I could do to teat it? Thank you so much for your time.

Kristy

Sorry to hear that Nessa is having problems.

It's always hard to talk about lumps or sores without being able to see the dog. I'll give you a few of my thoughts on what this could be.

It is possible that this is a tiny abscess with some type of foreign material in it such as a thorn or sliver. If so, she may need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order for it to heal.

It's also possible that this is a cyst. Cysts are generally not a huge concern unless they rupture and get infected.

Does it look like the black dot in the middle is moving at all? It may be something called a cuterebra which is a parasite that looks like a grub and can live under the skin of an animal. If nothing is done, this will eventually come out and mature into a fly. However, this can take some time so usually I remove them. This is not something you would want to do at home by yourself because if you rupture the grub it will release toxins.

It does sound like it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at this lump. Until you can get there you can try applying a warm compress and soaking in epsom salts a few times per day.

I hope all is well!

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (6522 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (4477 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9166 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (17166 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (5911 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (26700 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (13099 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (11214 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13053 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (13165 views)