Open sore with black center.

Breed: great pyrenees
My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In the center of the soar there is a smaller black dot. I have tried to pull it out with tweezers but it doesn't appear to be something that I can pull out. Do you have any ideas what it could be or what I could do to teat it? Thank you so much for your time.

Kristy

Sorry to hear that Nessa is having problems.

It's always hard to talk about lumps or sores without being able to see the dog. I'll give you a few of my thoughts on what this could be.

It is possible that this is a tiny abscess with some type of foreign material in it such as a thorn or sliver. If so, she may need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order for it to heal.

It's also possible that this is a cyst. Cysts are generally not a huge concern unless they rupture and get infected.

Does it look like the black dot in the middle is moving at all? It may be something called a cuterebra which is a parasite that looks like a grub and can live under the skin of an animal. If nothing is done, this will eventually come out and mature into a fly. However, this can take some time so usually I remove them. This is not something you would want to do at home by yourself because if you rupture the grub it will release toxins.

It does sound like it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at this lump. Until you can get there you can try applying a warm compress and soaking in epsom salts a few times per day.

I hope all is well!

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (11666 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (21488 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (30411 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (10060 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (109049 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (9562 views)

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (13101 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (15545 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (24338 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (44598 views)