Open sore with black center.

Breed: great pyrenees
My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In the center of the soar there is a smaller black dot. I have tried to pull it out with tweezers but it doesn't appear to be something that I can pull out. Do you have any ideas what it could be or what I could do to teat it? Thank you so much for your time.

Kristy

Sorry to hear that Nessa is having problems.

It's always hard to talk about lumps or sores without being able to see the dog. I'll give you a few of my thoughts on what this could be.

It is possible that this is a tiny abscess with some type of foreign material in it such as a thorn or sliver. If so, she may need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order for it to heal.

It's also possible that this is a cyst. Cysts are generally not a huge concern unless they rupture and get infected.

Does it look like the black dot in the middle is moving at all? It may be something called a cuterebra which is a parasite that looks like a grub and can live under the skin of an animal. If nothing is done, this will eventually come out and mature into a fly. However, this can take some time so usually I remove them. This is not something you would want to do at home by yourself because if you rupture the grub it will release toxins.

It does sound like it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at this lump. Until you can get there you can try applying a warm compress and soaking in epsom salts a few times per day.

I hope all is well!

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (6224 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (17916 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (47331 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (11859 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (18475 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (7131 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (75719 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (12584 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (17864 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (9461 views)