Panleukopenia vaccine.

Breed: tabby
we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens for a relative. They had not been inoculated and came to us with diarreaha which we were told was because they had drunk milk. 2 days later we noticed that our kittens also had diarreaha so we immediately took all four of them to the vet. They were all given a worming tablet and sent home. That afternoon the two 7 week old kittens fell into a deep sleep. when we tried to wake them one was dead and the other wa unconscious. we took them back to the vet and she gave the unconscious one an injection and said it would not live the night. He recovered and the next day was eating playing etc. Two days after that he then became very larthagic along with our kittens. I took them all back to the vet the next day as ours had not eaten for days. She gave ours an injection that made them eat and seem better for a while and told me that the younger kittens had a virus but our cats would be ok as they had had the first inoculation. The younger kitten died that afternoon. (FRI) and half an hour later one of our cats had severe diareha and also seemed to be running away from his own behind. Since then it has been non stop and this afternoon (sun) the second cat also started to have it. we have phoned the vet but she just says it is because of the worming tablets but this just does not seem right to us, as they had these last tues. we are very scared that they have the same virus. should we listen to the vet or push for more treatment. Is it possible for a kitten to catch this virus after they have had a first innoculation. Please can you help us with this as we are extremely worried but vets in austria dont seem to understand how important they are to us.

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem! It sounds like the vet may be worried about a virus called panleukopenia which can cause diarrhea in cats.

It is indeed possible for kittens to get panleukopenia after having their first vaccine. The vaccine may help the immune system fight the virus a little bit but the cats are really not fully protected until they have had their second (and sometimes third) shot.

Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration. It is the dehydration that tends to kill cats with panleukopenia. I would definitely push for more treatment with the cats. The ideal treatment will probably involve them receiving intravenous fluids and medications to help protect the intestines against damage.

I really hope they do ok!

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (9250 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (15750 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6671 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (11442 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (14615 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (14073 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (9390 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (7966 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (4189 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (14897 views)