Panleukopenia vaccine.

Breed: tabby
we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens for a relative. They had not been inoculated and came to us with diarreaha which we were told was because they had drunk milk. 2 days later we noticed that our kittens also had diarreaha so we immediately took all four of them to the vet. They were all given a worming tablet and sent home. That afternoon the two 7 week old kittens fell into a deep sleep. when we tried to wake them one was dead and the other wa unconscious. we took them back to the vet and she gave the unconscious one an injection and said it would not live the night. He recovered and the next day was eating playing etc. Two days after that he then became very larthagic along with our kittens. I took them all back to the vet the next day as ours had not eaten for days. She gave ours an injection that made them eat and seem better for a while and told me that the younger kittens had a virus but our cats would be ok as they had had the first inoculation. The younger kitten died that afternoon. (FRI) and half an hour later one of our cats had severe diareha and also seemed to be running away from his own behind. Since then it has been non stop and this afternoon (sun) the second cat also started to have it. we have phoned the vet but she just says it is because of the worming tablets but this just does not seem right to us, as they had these last tues. we are very scared that they have the same virus. should we listen to the vet or push for more treatment. Is it possible for a kitten to catch this virus after they have had a first innoculation. Please can you help us with this as we are extremely worried but vets in austria dont seem to understand how important they are to us.

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem! It sounds like the vet may be worried about a virus called panleukopenia which can cause diarrhea in cats.

It is indeed possible for kittens to get panleukopenia after having their first vaccine. The vaccine may help the immune system fight the virus a little bit but the cats are really not fully protected until they have had their second (and sometimes third) shot.

Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration. It is the dehydration that tends to kill cats with panleukopenia. I would definitely push for more treatment with the cats. The ideal treatment will probably involve them receiving intravenous fluids and medications to help protect the intestines against damage.

I really hope they do ok!

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (3659 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (8100 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (13930 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (9251 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (14483 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (23983 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (17228 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (15114 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (7275 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6788 views)