Panleukopenia vaccine.

Breed: tabby
we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens for a relative. They had not been inoculated and came to us with diarreaha which we were told was because they had drunk milk. 2 days later we noticed that our kittens also had diarreaha so we immediately took all four of them to the vet. They were all given a worming tablet and sent home. That afternoon the two 7 week old kittens fell into a deep sleep. when we tried to wake them one was dead and the other wa unconscious. we took them back to the vet and she gave the unconscious one an injection and said it would not live the night. He recovered and the next day was eating playing etc. Two days after that he then became very larthagic along with our kittens. I took them all back to the vet the next day as ours had not eaten for days. She gave ours an injection that made them eat and seem better for a while and told me that the younger kittens had a virus but our cats would be ok as they had had the first inoculation. The younger kitten died that afternoon. (FRI) and half an hour later one of our cats had severe diareha and also seemed to be running away from his own behind. Since then it has been non stop and this afternoon (sun) the second cat also started to have it. we have phoned the vet but she just says it is because of the worming tablets but this just does not seem right to us, as they had these last tues. we are very scared that they have the same virus. should we listen to the vet or push for more treatment. Is it possible for a kitten to catch this virus after they have had a first innoculation. Please can you help us with this as we are extremely worried but vets in austria dont seem to understand how important they are to us.

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem! It sounds like the vet may be worried about a virus called panleukopenia which can cause diarrhea in cats.

It is indeed possible for kittens to get panleukopenia after having their first vaccine. The vaccine may help the immune system fight the virus a little bit but the cats are really not fully protected until they have had their second (and sometimes third) shot.

Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration. It is the dehydration that tends to kill cats with panleukopenia. I would definitely push for more treatment with the cats. The ideal treatment will probably involve them receiving intravenous fluids and medications to help protect the intestines against damage.

I really hope they do ok!

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (14479 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16948 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (7107 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5855 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (21448 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (15471 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (12756 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (36136 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (10701 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (6023 views)