Panleukopenia vaccine.

Breed: tabby
we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens for a relative. They had not been inoculated and came to us with diarreaha which we were told was because they had drunk milk. 2 days later we noticed that our kittens also had diarreaha so we immediately took all four of them to the vet. They were all given a worming tablet and sent home. That afternoon the two 7 week old kittens fell into a deep sleep. when we tried to wake them one was dead and the other wa unconscious. we took them back to the vet and she gave the unconscious one an injection and said it would not live the night. He recovered and the next day was eating playing etc. Two days after that he then became very larthagic along with our kittens. I took them all back to the vet the next day as ours had not eaten for days. She gave ours an injection that made them eat and seem better for a while and told me that the younger kittens had a virus but our cats would be ok as they had had the first inoculation. The younger kitten died that afternoon. (FRI) and half an hour later one of our cats had severe diareha and also seemed to be running away from his own behind. Since then it has been non stop and this afternoon (sun) the second cat also started to have it. we have phoned the vet but she just says it is because of the worming tablets but this just does not seem right to us, as they had these last tues. we are very scared that they have the same virus. should we listen to the vet or push for more treatment. Is it possible for a kitten to catch this virus after they have had a first innoculation. Please can you help us with this as we are extremely worried but vets in austria dont seem to understand how important they are to us.

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem! It sounds like the vet may be worried about a virus called panleukopenia which can cause diarrhea in cats.

It is indeed possible for kittens to get panleukopenia after having their first vaccine. The vaccine may help the immune system fight the virus a little bit but the cats are really not fully protected until they have had their second (and sometimes third) shot.

Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration. It is the dehydration that tends to kill cats with panleukopenia. I would definitely push for more treatment with the cats. The ideal treatment will probably involve them receiving intravenous fluids and medications to help protect the intestines against damage.

I really hope they do ok!

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (18140 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (13926 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (9252 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (9025 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (58232 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (6426 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (12909 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (9754 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (88365 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (38758 views)